I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

renzetti lathe - turn wood?
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: March 31, 2009 10:32AM

Does anyone use their Renzetti lathe for light wood turning? I am thinking of changing to a Renzetti from my Custom Power Wrap. Wondering if I can do light wood turning for winding checks, split grips etc on the Renzetti. Can't turn wood on the CPW.
Anything else pro or con you would like to say about the Renzetti would be appreciated. Seems like I am going to be spending a LOT of money for all the accessories I want.

another question. It comes with 2 standards. Are two standards enough for holding a rod to turn cork grips that are on the rod? I have 5 standards on my CPW to hold big blanks while turning grips on the blanks.

I would really like not have to buy a dedicated mini-lathe for wood but that may be where I would have to go.
Thanks
Buzz

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2009 10:51AM by Buzz Butters.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: renzetti lathe - turn wood?
Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 10:52AM

Personally, I wouldn't want to turn cork or wood in my rod building room. Just too much dust and possibility for contaminants. That being said, the renzetti will definitely turn cork and I'm sure light wood, but if you can spring for a small lathe, I think that would be the way to go. Just my opinion though.

Cheers
Harold

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2009 11:05AM

Dust isn't a problem if you know how to control it - check past issues of RodMaker for the scoop on how to rid yourself of dust troubles even while using the same lathe and same room for turning and wrapping/finishing chores.

The Renzetti is made mostly of aluminum and therefore doesn't have the mass necessary for real wood turning work. You can certainly turn cork and soft woods to make a variety of small trim items, but it won't be your best choice for exotic wood seat inserts or wooden handles and grips. Neither is the Custom Power Wrap, either, of course. Neither of these is really designed for serious wood turning.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 04:15PM

The other posts have it right.
Use a light wood turning lathe to turn wood. It has heavy enough components and motors to do a good job.
There is no issue in getting a small wood lathe from a price of $100 - on up.
The on up will depend on size, motor, bed length, accessories and brand.

If you can, get one with a variable speed dc motor. The variable speed makes turning ever so nice.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
Keep the wood turning and dust in a different house or garage compared to your rod building and wrapping room. Yes, you can get dust filters etc. etc. etc. But it is so much simpler to simply have the wood cuttings, dust and mess out in the garage or a different shed. When done turning, vacuum up, open the door, and blow all of the residual dust out the door with the high powered air compressor.

Your special other will thank you for it, if you happen to do your rod building in your house.
Your other workers will thank you if you do it in a commercial shop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster