I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flexcoat finish mix ups
Posted by: Christopher Tan (220.255.7.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 10:51AM

hi .. i think i came across a post that mentioned if you mixed up resin and hardener of high and lite build, it doesnt really matter?

i have 2 sets (1 high build, 1 lite) of 2oz with yorker caps, with most of the words rubbed off from each of the bottle.. i can tell the resin apart because the lite is blue and the high build is red.. i have a problem with the hardener as both of the bottles are black.. i think i have it sorted out by viscousity .. but i aint sure..

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flexcoat finish mix ups
Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 10:57AM

read the bottles SURELY somewhere on there is a part number or somthing to tie the two sets together if they are the same then it doesnt matter Then when you sorted it MARK the bottle sets in a different way

Posted by: Christopher Tan (220.255.7.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 11:22AM

i tried.. but most of the words were already smudged .. so i cleaned all the words off and re-labelled the bottles. not sure why, but i only have this problem with the flexcoat (i have total of 4 sets of flexcoat finish and glue, and all of them are smudged..)

-

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 12:30PM

I know what he is talking about, I had the same problem. When Flex coat or whomever ships the product they tape the bottles together. When the tape is removed the letters follow. I was lucky that my high build was in larger bottles. I'd mix up a couple of test batches and try them on a scrap piece of blank and see how they set up, then mark the bottles accordingly.

Best of luck,

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 02:21PM

I put letters on mine. A to A and B to B. Find a place that is not touched as often, even the bottom of the containers. maybe mark then put clear tape on or clear.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 02:23PM

Chris. Ok I got sitting before me the flex coat lite build formula--part -A resin blue lettering with black cap.
Part-B hardener yellow lettering,yellow cap.
For the High build formula-- part A resin black lettering,black cap.Part B hardener,yellow lettering,yellow cap.
If you have a bottle with with RED lettering that will be the resin for theEpoxy glue and the hardener will be the black for that pair. Hope this helps you.Good luck <<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: roger wilson (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 04:10PM

Chris,
Throw everything away and start over.
When you get the new batch - take a black permenant marker and mark each bottle and each cap as appropriate.

When you get it marked, take wide clear sealing tape and go over the container with the tape - wrapping it a couple of times. This will seal the markings on the container to prevent future smudging.

A goofed up batch of epoxy is not worth any price.

Throw out the old and start afresh.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 09:02PM

bill : for now , i used my label printer to label it accordingly..

donald : red for epoxy glue ? i have the 5 min glue in 4oz bottle, and 1 oz bottle of lite.. but not sure why, i have red for the 2oz bottle too!. those are definitely rod finish though..

Roger : i am considering if i should throw it.. or perhaps use it when i want to try my hands on crafting lures ? I have 4oz bottles of classic coat, dura gloss and TM ... i think i should have enough rod finish for now

-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster