I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork grade
Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2009 11:51PM

how can you tell the cork grade qualtiy on cork rings?
is there a designated number like 1 for best 2 for 2nd best and so forth?
thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork grade
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-166.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 12:38AM

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2009 08:43AM

Only the RodMaker scale. Everything else is just a number or name with no standard behind it. A company can sell you Flor grade and it may be completely full of holes and pits, and yet that would still be correctly called Flor, because there is no standard behind it.

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.warpspeed1.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 09:23AM

I purchased some cork on @#$%& that was advertised as presentation grade. When I got it it was full of holes and had black spots in it that flaked off and left big voids. I left feedback saying that it was not the quality that was advertised and almost started an international incident. I was threatened that if I did not change my feedback that I would be sued and put on a list to keep me from buying anything in Australia.. I have bought a lot of cork on @#$%& and it has all been good if bought from a US company but both times I bought from a foreign country it was bad.
Pat

Date: March 27, 2009 09:25AM

Pat,

But that is "Presentation Grade."

That's the problem - you can't complain about what you got because there is no standard behind that grade - it is whatever the seller says it is. Do you have a formal list or photographic standard that shows what "Presentation Grade" is supposed to look like?

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 09:32AM

Presentation grade is supposed to be full of pits and holes. At least unless you can prove differently.

The Rodmaker grading scale is the ONLY scale that allows you to see what you are supposed to get before you get it. Any dealer that will not grade by this scale is hiding something. I will no longer buy any grade that does not carry the Rodmaker grade. Anything else is a crap shoot.

If you get your cork and you find it was not graded correctly you have a valid complaint with the dealer because you both knew how to grade it according to the Rodmaker scale. With any other scale there is no way to say that it is not what you ordered. Flour, AAA, Supreme, etcetera is just whatever the seller wants to send you. There is no way to say that it is not what you ordered. It is what it is and there is no way to prove otherwise. For instance, how good is Flour grade supposed to be? Where does anything say how clear it must be to attain that scale? I have been told that Flour is "the best." So what, best of what and when? It is worthless without something behind it to set such a grade.

For instance, I could put some cork up for sale today and even though it might be pure crap, I could call it "Extra Special Supreme Quality Grade." And no matter how bad it was that grade would be correct by my standards. I am the one who has the cork and I am the one who coined the grade name. As long as I never bothered to put up any information on the percent clear or offered any photos to depict that grade, nobody could complain when they got it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2009 09:43AM by Richard Kuhne.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (220.255.7.---)
Date: March 27, 2009 10:59AM

havent been spending decades at rod building, but what i read was that, what we consider to be the current top grade cork right now would have been considered 2nd or 3rd class in yesteryears

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2009 11:15AM by Christopher Tan.

Date: March 27, 2009 11:10AM

Great cork can still be had, it just costs several dollars per ring. Few are willing to pay for it.

If you read Gene Bullard's article on cork in a past RodMaker, you know that the idea that cork used to be flawless and readily available at low cost is pretty much a myth.

I still have a great deal of cork obtained during the 1970's and much of it is pretty awful. But I have some good stuff from the same time period as well. The biggest difference these days is that due to the high cost few dealers offer or buy the really good stuff.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 12:41PM

I don't think Presentation Grade is a real cork grade any more than Super Duper Grade is. Just something somebody made up. But I guess you could say the same for Flor or Flour. Just names somebody cooked up.

Date: March 27, 2009 01:59PM

"Floret" was a term coined by Gene Bullard for some cork he sourced direct from Portugal. Over the years others picked up on the name and shortened it to "Flor" to get around Gene's trademark of the "Floret" name.

The older and somewhat accepted cork grading scale was A, AA and AAA with AAA being the highest grade. But even then, there was no standard nor defined requirements behind any of them.

Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 03:28PM

It seems that most of the really good cork goes to high end "off the rack rod makers". Actually I've seen cheap rods in Walmart that have better cork than I can seem to buy.

Dave

Date: March 27, 2009 05:57PM

Anyone that is willing to pre-order and do so in large orders of about 1000 rings or more, can get really nice cork. But you do have to pay for it.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 06:31PM

When you have the time REALLY inspect that cork you think looks good on a wally world rod. It is absolutely FULL of pits and holes, but it has been filled and sanded down to appeal to that clientele.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster