I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Location of first stripping guide
Posted by: Jim Colombo (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 08:17PM

How do you find the optimum location of the first stripping guide on a fly rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Location of first stripping guide
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2009 09:05PM

The first, or butt guide, on a fly rod is the stripping guide. If you'll locate it about 31 to 32 inches from the butt of the rod, you'll be just about right for nearly any fly rod, length, line-weight, etc.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: March 23, 2009 12:50AM

Tom,
With a Spey or switch rod, would you measure from the end of the reel seat, or the butt end of the rear grip?

Date: March 23, 2009 08:45AM

End of the reel seat. Everything has to be done in relation to the fighting hand and reel location. So let me rephrase that to read, about 31 to 32 inches from the butt of the reel seat.

Posted by: Jim Colombo (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 05:12PM

Tom,
By fixing the length to a specific number you aren't taking into account the length of the users arms.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 23, 2009 05:40PM

I agree. If the stripping guide is too close to the reel seat, you are limited in the amount of line that can be "stripped" in. If it is too far away from the reel seat, (toward the tip), the user has to bend and, stretch and reach for the line. For me personally on my own rods, I put the stripper guide where the line is an easy full arms length reach with the reel seat located at my hip. Works for me without tiring after bending/reaching all day or getting short changed on the amount of line I can strip in.

Date: March 23, 2009 06:44PM

That fixed number is based on years of taking into account the user's arm length. In nearly all cases, unless we're talking abnormally short or unusually long, you'll find that amount suits just about everybody.

In the book I did for Amato I penned the concept of holding the rod with a 90 degree bend in your elbow and then reaching out with your other hand and seeing about where it touched the blank without stretching or doing anything unnatural. The thing is, for most people this ends up being about 31 to 34 inches.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.214.198.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 07:03PM

Place the stripper guide at 29% of the distance from the reel to the rod tip.
This takes into acount shorter rods (6 foot) and two hand or switch rods where extra length is taken behind the reel seat.
Same number results proportianate wiht usable rod length.
31 to 32 assumes the rod is a 9 foot single handed more or less standard length rod.

Date: March 23, 2009 08:48PM

No, that number will be correct no matter what the rod length. The criteria involved in setting the first, the stripping or butt guide, does not change with rod length. That distance and what takes place there is unaffected by the overall length of the rod beyond that point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster