I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions for UL bluegill/shellcracker rod?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 09:02AM

I want something 6'6" to 7', light and fast. Not a noodle but fun with the smaller panfish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions for UL bluegill/shellcracker rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2009 09:11AM

It's hard to find UL blanks in the longer lengths. So what I'd suggest is that you buy one that has the power you like and extend it to the length you want. You can probably find a nice 6 footer with some fair power in the butt, but with a light tip, and then extend it out to 6'6 or so. That will make the action a tad faster and give the fish a little more leverage at the same time. Makes one heck of a fun UL rod.

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 09:21AM

I have used the Batsons SP721-2 and extended the handle 6 inches worked good for me. However I usally only use the 6 foot ones which are long enough for my fishing.

Edwin Kime

Posted by: Tony Hanson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 09:32AM

Try looking into fly rod blanks. I've made several fly rod blanks into spinning rods and have been very happy with result. In general they're more expensive, but you get all the length you want. I fish bluegill and crappie with 5 to 8 wt fly rod blanks at 8 to 9 feet long and have a ball. Plus you can toss a tiny jig and float about a quarter mile if that's important on your water.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2009 09:56AM

St Croix offers UL blanks in 6'6" and 7'0" in both the SC2 and SC3 series.

Posted by: Seth Cavarretta (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: March 22, 2009 10:00AM

batson makes a 7 foot ul IP840, I've used it for pan fish (crappie) as well as trout those fish are a blast on it.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: March 22, 2009 11:37AM

Go with Seth on the Batson IP840...its a great UL rod in 7 foot.
We have them in stock at Midwest Rod and Reel...lets us know if we can help you out

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-05rh15-16rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 09:30PM

I have a St.Croix SCIII in a 6'UL 1pc and know they make a 6'6" and a 7' in the 1 pc and a two pc. Personally I was looking for a rod under 3oz. finished.That was my personal goal. I weighed it at the Post office when I finished and it weighed 2.91 oz but it was front heavy. I changed the guides and tip out and now it weighs 2.56oz. and the front heaviness has been eliminated. It is a great bluegill rod and have also caught bass up to 4 lbs on it.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: March 24, 2009 05:56AM

I think the IP840 would be great. Tippy, quick recovery, soft enough in the tip and mid to have fun with smaller fish, but plenty of down low reserve strength for the surprise fish that love to snack on panfish size lures (and also eat hooked fish).

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 01:44PM

I have built several on the Batson IP840. I also like the SC III 3S70ULF. I personally use both for trout. I did catch a 4lb 10oz bass on an IP 840(4lb line-I got a picture to prove it).

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: March 24, 2009 03:30PM

I second the 8-9ft 4wt fly rod. This also gives you the ability to have in a 4 pc as well.

Posted by: pete secrest (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 07:03PM

i build alot of bluegill rods out of a 71/2' 4wt fly rod blanks, they make real nice ultra lite rods...i've been building them for about 30yrs or so

Posted by: Joseph C Phelps (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 04:10PM

Some manufacturers will not warrenty there fly blanks if they are tied into a spinning rods.
watch out Joe

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 12:14PM

Check out the latest issue of In Fisherman for an article in which a 1 weight fly rod blank is used for a spinning rod. It really intrigued me, and I've been planning a rod similar for a couple weeks. I've yet to find a 1 weight 7 foot blank, so have been considering using blanks like the AMF 662, 763, Batson IF662, and extending the 6 1/2 footers to 7 feet. It looks like any of these blanks could result in a rod under 3 oz. If you want it as light as possible, use micros and minimal transition guides (I would think that with 2-4 # mono you could get by with small and few transition guides), Pac Bay Minima reel seat (if not extending), little or no cork around the handle, minimal butt grip/split grip design. Some of the blanks that could work are pretty cheap, so I wouldn't think that warranty would be a big issue.

I'm not fully sure which way I'm going to go yet, but it will be with a fly blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster