I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Packing Tool
Posted by: Buzz Potter (---.vgs.untd.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 05:33PM

Looking for a thread packing tool source. Any suggestions ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Packing Tool
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 06:05PM

Buzz, check out Backlash Tools they have one.

[www.backlashtools.com]

Posted by: Ross Eedy (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 07:21PM

The next time you visit your dentist, ask them for a couple of old dental picks.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.37.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 09:50PM

I've used several different things from the health and beauty section at the wal-mart. The thing that I have found that worked the best are the wooden cuticle pushers...once they wear down you can sand them back to the original shape on a piece of sand paper flat on a table.

But i have found the best thing is the 89cent thread packer that many different companies carry. Mine came from Mud-hole and was made by Gudebrod but I am sure there are several companies on here that carry them.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:16PM

some of the dental tools work well. I agree that the 89 cent plastic thread burnisher/packer is still my favorite in most all situations. I use my thumbnail a lot as well.

Terry

Posted by: john channer (---.228.159.13.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:30PM

If you tie flies, a dubbing needle works quite well, it's also good for applying finish, no bubbles from a brush. For those who don't tie, it's nothing more than a large size straight needle mounted in a handle. I made mine out of an old leather needle and a cut off from one of the bamboo rods I make.
john

Posted by: Buzz Potter (---.vgs.untd.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 12:16AM

My dentist sends his picks out to have new tips welded on. I like to keep the point on my dubbing needle so tonight I found a Bead Reamer at a craft store for $1.99, filed/buffed two sides flat and blunted the point.
Thanks for the responses and suggestions.
Buzz

Posted by: Henri Berit (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 01:43AM

What works well for me is a curved o-ring puller, which looks like a curved dental pick kinda. Works well for me, with packing etc.

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: March 17, 2009 04:14AM

I use knitting needles. Come in 2 packs. (naturally). The metal type.

Come in heaps of different sizes.

The double ended ones I cut in half and get 4 tools.

I also use them for applying my epoxy.

Great tool, cheap long lasting and very effective.

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Chad Rivers (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 07:40AM

I second the cuticle pusher. But I use a plastic one that has a red flat plastic tip. 49 cents at the beaty supply store. I alway pick it up before I grap the thread packer/burnisher that is talked about above.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: March 17, 2009 12:10PM

Buzz Potter,
JB Hunt just finished building an all metal tool that I think Backlash Tools carries. I have one and it is by far the best burnishing/packing tool I have ever used. PLEASE do yourself a favor and check out this tool. If you don't like it, send it to me and I will refund your money and pay the shipping. I can always use an extra as students keep trying to borrow mine.

Buzz Butters

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: March 17, 2009 12:40PM

I have used knitting needles, the good ole thumb nail, the fingernail cleaner on a nail clipper, and now my favorite is a science probe like the ones used to disect frogs back in biology class. I used it on the last rod I built to pack threads and to apply the finish to the threads. As Mr. Channer said, there are no bubbles from a brush when using this metal tool. It has approximately a 45 degree bend to the tip which makes it nice for applying the finish as well. Buzz B., you might be able to nab a few to try from a science room in your school...

Posted by: Ricky Fleming (---.textron.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 01:07PM

I use a credit card. Works great.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 06:57PM

It depends what you are looking to do. If you are packing Dec Wraps with a lot of crossing points and seams - you need something pointed. I've been putting off making them for a while, I have a few scrap pieces of material so I'll probably make a few of them in teh next couple of days. The one I use is the stainless one Clemens used to sell with the triangular head.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 12:08AM

Be careful when using the Backlash tool....

My favorite is still the Gudebrod spatular/mixer. It has a smooth blade that packs really nicely. Unfortunately it has been discontinued.

I bot a Backlash packer to see what it was about. Very nicely engineered and finished. But I prefer a flatter and broader blade - more stability.

I pull my whipped thread ends all the way through and then open the wrap where the thread end is pulled through. I cut the thread (nylon and metallic) with a fresh scalpel and then I close the wrap with a packer. Well, to open the wrap I used the Backlash tool and when I pressed down to open the wrap the tool cut the metallic with a "snap". I thought this was pretty neat because I always hold my breath when I insert a scalpel into the opening in the wrap. So the next time I tried it the tool cut the nylon wrap in the area I was trying to spread apart to get at the metallic thread. Had to re-wrap the whole thing.

The triangular shaped tool seems dull, feels dull - but it cuts when pressure is applied against the hard surface of the blank.
Herb.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster