I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod question...
Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: March 12, 2009 01:42PM

What weight/ length fly rod would you all recommend for bass and possibly a musky now and then? I fish on a couple lake s for smallies that have the big toothy fish in them, and if you are lucky you can sight fish them too... Would an 8 weight be over kill for bass and ok for muskies? Thanks for the recommendations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod question...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2009 02:11PM

An 8-weight is overkill for most average sized bass, but not for decent sized muskies. How often do you hook those muskies and how big are they normally?

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: March 12, 2009 02:37PM

I agree 8 wt is pretty much overkill for bass, sounds like you would be better off building 2 different rods. And actually Im not sure about muskies in the 40" catagory, Id be a little concerned about that.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: March 12, 2009 03:40PM

I think I'd want an 8 for bass, due to the size or wind profile of some of the flies I'd be throwing.
Muskie flies are enormous, and heavy when wet, and Muskies are huge, strong fish...I'd think at least a 9 wt for that fish.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 05:44PM

I don't think I would try to cover both bases with one rod. I would build a 6 wt or a 7 wt for smallmouth, one that I really liked and felt comfortable fishing all day with, and add a 9 wt line and heavy leader for short casts if I wanted to try bigger flies for musky. A fast 8 or 9 wt is a workout for several hours of casting and fishing. Later you could build a 9 or 10 wt if you want to target the muskies. And unless you are going to saltwater fish with it too, a cheap, slow , maybe even slightly short blank would be best for the heavier rod.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.37.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 07:35PM

Well I am primarily a bass fisherman on the fly. I prefer an 8wt for most of my bass fishing. I mostly fish poppers during the summer for them. The 8wt casts the big bass bugs so much better than a 6wt. I prefer a 9ft rod because of the distance. Also if you are sitting down in a canoe it makes it a lot easier.

But if I were going after musky I would use at least a 10 wt or a 12 just because of the quick runs that muskie can make and the thick cover they tend to inhabit in case you need to stop one from making it to the brush.

I won some 10-12 weight line at a TU banquet the other night and will be looking to build a big rod for them...let me know how your search goes and what you end up doing for the muskie.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 10:06PM

Ked is correct.
In order to cast the "chicken" size flys you will need at least a #11 line. You can overline a fast #10 rod but an a #11 rod with a #12 line would be better.
The last time fished WI lake I caught a 24" smallie. Glad I had the big rod.
Herb

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.ips.PaulBunyan.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 11:24PM

The muskies that I would try to catch are normally in 6 ft of water or less, and I can usually get them to go on football jigs and spider grubs or something similar. So, I would be likely throwing bass sized flies at them to try to trigger them into striking. I think I will go for a 9wt or a heavy 8wt if there is such a blank. Is there? I haven't built a fly rod for bass or muskies before, so ths is a new endeavor for me. I have built a lot of casting/ spinning rods for them both though... Any brand in particular that you all would recommend?

Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 13, 2009 10:00AM

Hi Trinity, My experiance for large fish on fly is in salt water but I can tell you this about #8 & #9 weight rods. It really depends on the manufacturer, some #8 rods fish better w/ #9 or even #10 lines and some fish better with #7 ines. I've learned to use the manufacturers suggestion as a starting place and try several size lines on them to see which fits best for my style casting! The Vendors on the left could probly help your search better, why not give them a call? Good Luck!

Snooker Pete

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster