I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cord Suggestions?
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 12:19PM

I am looking for suggestions on cord or twine for cord wrapped rod handles on light duty surf and boat rods. In the Rodmaker magazine article the author recommended a softer type cord for comfort. It worked well for me on freshwater rods which is what he was writing about but now with customers wanting heavier purpose rods used in harsher conditions I would like to have something firmer or longer wearing.

Does anyone here have any specific recs for cord type? Even the exact brand and size would be helpful. I want these handles to be on the money on the first go around. Thanks for any suggestions on cord you have tried and found to work well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cord Suggestions?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 12:34PM

KEn, I havent' used any cordmyself, but I do know @#$%& has a bunch of it in various colors. The other cord people talk about is Seiners Twine. I'm going to be making a rail rod for someoneusing that as several people have recommended it for durability and comfort. THey are really comf, although at first glance they do not look it.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 01:23PM

Hi Ken,

I am a fan of seine twine myself and most of my saltwater rods use it, particularly the longer rods. I know there are different types and I am not familiar with what's offered these days but I favor the treated/coated twine. It's black and will hold the color well and is incredibly durable. I still fish with rods that were built more then 25 years ago, of course I upgraded/updated the guides to American Tackle. Although it's not soft, it requires no treatment such as color preserver etc. Any added coating will add weight and can roughen the surface. If a cotton cord is used without a coating then it tends to hold water. It's also available in different diameters that might apply better to each specific size of rod and reduce weight a bit.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: March 12, 2009 03:10PM

the stuff from acid rod works great. Ive used it on four rods now. On two of my jig sticks I have spiralled three strands of the cord with a 1/2" wide strip of 1/16" cork tape. I like that feel the best and it looks great.
Steven

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 04:49PM

I use Tarred Seiners Twine for handles and foregrips; #60 for thicker blanks and #72 for the thinner ones. I have used a lot of different material to wrap grips over the years but have pretty well settled on this twine.

If you want colors other than basic black; look for another material. I have used nylon net cord with a varnish finish with some success. It is not as durable as Seiners Twine for foregrips used in combat rail fishing.

I wrap it just like a guide; starting and finishing the same. Get a stout pull through loop; you'll need it.

I wrap it in the same direction as the hand grasps and apply no finish whatsoever. It won't turn your hands black.

It is a very durable and attractive material. If you want to remove it for some reason, it's easy to remove.

You must use force(gloves recommended) when wrapping. You can't pull it too tight.

BTW; a simple Turkshead Knot at the ends of the wraps look pretty cool.

I hope this helps. C2

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2009 05:28PM

you can go to any outdoor type store(one that carries climbing gear). they will have different types of cords in different colors and sizes.

Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 11:10PM

I have found quite a number of different cord sizes and colors at Hobby Lobby stores. Micheals stores probably have them as well. They have nylon cords that seem to be the perfect sizes and colors for rod handles.
Hope this helps

Dave

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2009 04:46AM

I have no heartburn with using Nylon cord with a finish, I'm not locked into Tarred Seiners Twine by any means. It's more durable for combat rail fishing applications.

I think that the Seiners Twine is nylon treated with tar. You could probably pass nylon through some kind of finish then wrap. It would probably be messy, so I would just apply finish after the wrap is completed.

I would say to get whatever size Nylon that you need and start wrapping.

I've had gaff, hook disgorger, rods and implement handles that have been wrapped for several years. They have faded due to sunlight exposure, but are still doing a good job.

I have wrapped with cotton which absorbs water, gets soggy and absorbs odors big time. It gets softer with age. C2

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.251.120.242.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2009 02:46PM

Try Home Depot and the like.

I have also used white nylon and after wrapping, tinted finish and coated. Works well.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Drew Smith (---.dial.gorge.net)
Date: March 14, 2009 04:44AM

Look at Port Supply/West Marine. They carry some pretty fancy lines for sailing/dinghy use. The ones that I have used were finish lines made by New England Rope. Wrapped the butt of a sturgeon rod with a 4 mm spectra composite line. Soft, tuff, looks great. I wanted something with a little more body than traditional cord to make the dia. larger. FYI the cord offered by @#$%& (is quite nice) is about 2.2mm - wraps tight easily, but not buch body. Also wrapped the handle of my net (to keep from scratching the boat) with 2 colors of 3mm NER finish line - feels great, and appears to be quite durable. Dyneema is also available - soft and repels water, but I have not used it yet. Sorry to tell you this though - they are spendy compared to what has already been mentioned. My last spool was $20 for 75', and you will be really surprised how much you actually use. But, is the buyer willing to take up the cost?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster