I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting a 6'6'' rod down to a 6' rod.
Posted by: Frank J Harvey (---.cell1net.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 10:46PM

I have a 6' 6'' St. Croix SCV that i would like to make a 6' rod. I know what you are going to say why wouldnt you just get a 6' rod instead. My reply is. WE ARE IN A RECESSION THATS WHY! Sound like my parents. My question is would the rod cut down to 6' have the same specs as a brand new 6' rod? whats the differance if any? Would this make a nice 6' rod?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting a 6'6'' rod down to a 6' rod.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 11:38PM

Frank,
I sent your question to St. Croix Customer support and here is there answer:

Roger,

Trimming a few inches off the butt of the blank won't affect the action or power at all, so it would be about the same as the shorter blank.

Sincerely,

Dan

Dan Levra
Customer Service, Order Center
St. Croix Rods
856 N 4th Ave
PO Box 279
Park Falls, WI 54552
1-800-826-7042 ext 114
www.stcroixrods.com
danl@stcroixrods.com

St. Croix Customer Support
Dear Sir:
I had a question about a couple of your rods.
If I take for example - your SCV M 6'6" blank - and cutt 6" off the butt, is the new blank any different than your 6' M SCV blank.
It seems to me, that by looking at your catalog, if I have two different blanks in the same series with the same power and rating, but differing only in length, that the difference is the butt length. Is that true?

I realize that if one rod is rated ml and another is rated M that they would be different.
Thanks for any help.

The reason that I ask, is that if I can just stock longer blanks and then trim the butts to customer desired lengths, it would make my stocking easier.

Thanks much
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2009 09:12PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2009 08:41AM

No, it will not. The 6'6" and 6' versions are built on different mandrels with different patterns. The 6 footer isn't just a cut down 6'6" model.

Cutting the 6' model will slow the action. This remains true no matter which end you trim from.

Cutting from the butt will reduce the power. Cutting from the tip will increase the casting lure weight range.

Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 04:43PM

If I REALLY had to do this, I would tape some guides to the length I was thinking about and see how it flexes under weight and do some test casts. You WILL change the action and/or casting weight. You may find you need to cut 3 inches off of each end. I have cut rod blanks down by 6” and it worked out ok. I wouldn’t recommend more then that.

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 06:32PM

Can you check the rod as is with the common cents system. Then move it back in the holder 6" and check it again. Then have it all the way up in the holder and attach the weights 6" back from the tip. See if you like how the rod "looks" based on what you find out. Maybe check it with 3" back in the holder and weights 3" back from the tip to compare that. Just an idea.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2009 09:12PM

Yes, you can do that and many use the CCS for just this purpose - blank trimming.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.t1.cavtel.net)
Date: March 13, 2009 10:20PM

Frank,
I have a few SCv's at the house right now. Which blank are you looking to trim down?? If you are interested we could do a swap.

Tom Kaufmann

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster