I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Printer for labels
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 09:23PM

I'm gonna purchase a printer to attempt to make some "electric" labels. Mine is about shot anyway. Does anyone know how to tell which printers use the solvent based inks and which ones use the dye based inks? I don't really want to buy one that uses the solvents right now. Any suggestion on a printer or all-in- one is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg Marshall
Trouble with bein on time for work is there's nobody there to appreciate it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Printer for labels
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 17, 2009 09:58PM

I worded this backwards!! I had them reversed and should have said "solvent" not dye based!

I could be wrong but I think that most now use the dye based inks. Mine is about 5 years old and use dye based. Booby Feazel has a work around to make them work on the "electric"papers. I'll be first in line to see his method in High Point. I hope the new papers are available soon

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 10:31PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2009 10:03PM

Most now use the newer solvent based archival inks. This is the major problem with the decal media - it's not made for modern ink jet printers.

The article mentioned that the company is working on newer media that will work with modern printers.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 08:09AM

Mike remember the nail knot deal? This will be 10 times better and the price is right too!! Remember put your Lipitor in your pocket!

The decal demonstrations in High Point will include four media types. The following information is provided by the manufacturer of the products.

"Presently our White Waterproof Vinyl works with all types of ink on the market, including: standard dye based, pigment based, and solvent based. Our Gold & Silver Polyester media, as well as our Inkjet Holographic Silver Shine media are coated with a special inkjet receptive coating that is only compatible with dye based inks. This means that all of our media should work with any non-premium ink. Branded inks such as "Claria", "DuraBrite", "Vivera", and "UltraChrome" are pigment or solvent based inks and do not work well with our metallic medias. We are currently in the process of developing a new inkjet receptive coating which will be more broadly compatible with all three major ink types, making our media work with any inkjet printer. We hope to be using this new coating within the next three months to one year."

End Mfg comment:

Bobby's work and the samples created on the Big Show floor with ALL forms of the media will clearly demonstrate this product can produce the graphic arts of the future. The above manufacturer's statement - "and do not work well with our metallic medias" - are under the control of the user. The demonstrations in High Point will be with be with a two year old HP Inkjet Printer using the solvent based ink systems.

For other information on this new application please take the time to read:

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Please drop by the Swampland Booth and see this stuff!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 09:52AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 08:41AM

As I have posted previously on this board, every decal that I have ever printed has been printed on a HP 'All In One' printer that uses a solvent based archival ink called Vivera. Since I have never used a dye based ink printer to print labels, I am not much help with any comparisons. The labels and decals that can be printed on this media are truly outstanding and I can assure you that if I can do it you can do it. And I hope many will at least try.

Come by the booth this weekend and touch, feel and see hundreds of examples and decide for yourself if the existing media is suitable for solvent based inks. The work around that Mike refers to and that is published in the article is a simple matter of adjusting ink levels and this may take some trial and error with your particular printer. I will even give you a sample to try on your own rod if time allows.

I have found that the key to successful results on the metallic foils and the holographic media is to have lots of patience once your label is printed. LET IT DRY! There are no issues with the white vinyl media.

Let the fun begin.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 18, 2009 09:00AM

Bobby, Bill, You guys already had me convinced!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 12:33PM

One more reference for the use of custom builders - Inkjet uv data

Some of the variables of ink uV stability ink are color, substrate, exposure time, intensity and as well as the overlying material. All current inks on the market offer higher levels of protection than older inks.

An excellent source of information can be found at the web site of each printer manufacturer.

[www.printingimagesctc.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 01:29PM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster