I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: tiger issue
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 16, 2009 06:18PM

I'd suggest starting over. The red, gold and copper won't provide enough contrast for the "tiger stripes" effect of the Moire to show through.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 06:38PM

I agree with Ted . You don't have enough contrast the wrap will take on the over wrap color the under wrap will give you the moire effect with the with the red in both under and over wrap just too much red. At [rodbuilding_tutorials.webs.com] there is another tutorial that is all pictures I used it also and the tiger wraps I have done have come out very well

Posted by: John Barbee (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 06:41PM

I did burnish it in many directions (not parallel), but I do think it is a color issue. I will not be stripping it all off since the base layer is now under 2 layers of lite and 5 layers of high build. I had also applies a redfish decal between layers.

Rodbuilding, cheaper than therapy.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 17, 2009 12:15AM

Tom, I do subscribe to RodMaker and I love it. I can appreciate where you are coming from on this and I should clarify that by 'unsuccessful' I did not mean real botched up. Perhaps it is more unique to me than I thought but even after carefully reading and following excellent tutorials my first attempts rarley hit a level where I feel they are perfected to the point I would like. I carefully scrutinize results, equipment/tools needed (many of mine are hand-made) sequenceing, lighting, magnification needed, hand eye coordination needed (varies for me at different times of the day) and judge the muscle memory improvement needed to be smooth and quicker. When I do get a technique to an acceptable level, I then look for short cuts or tool adaptions/creations that will speed and or perfect the process even more. Thus the learning experience I referred to. ( I enjoy these trial and error and improvement sessions a lot when I have time). Early in my rod building I got to do an inservice in the Greensboro area and I called you and asked if I could come look at the shop. You said sure and I spent a marvelous hour picking your brain and seeing a real rod shop. Mentioned that day that catching my thread wraps on the rod was clumbsy and often took four or more wraps to lock my thread down, You grinned and graciously offered to show me how to catch your wrap in two turns. I carefully watch your technique and speculated on the tension and pressure you were applying. When I got home to Iowa, I immediately went down into the cave and began practicing 'catching the wraps'. After about 20 mins I had it down to 3 wraps easily. A day or two later after experimenting more with tension and cleaning fingers and sanding fingernails and using good mags I got it. The learning curve and time involved vary greatly I would imagine from individual to individual. Also, as a retired educator I think I know what you were trying to say with, "the learning has already been done for you" ?!? But that really doesn't quite fit these scenarios. When the learning involves a combination a proper sequencing, cognitive understanding/interpretation combined with fine muscle psychomotor movements.... then the learning must be done by you, not for you! I look forward to RodMaker with great anticipation and do carefully try to learn from those who have already paved a solid groundwork on marvelous rodbuilding skills. Keep em' coming and I hope to see you in High Point.

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 17, 2009 02:05AM

Yeah Tom
It does, its in bold in the box too............. and was read several times before undertaking the activity..............it just wasn't jelling with me.
Dumb me was frantically trying to relate text to images of the bottom layer, and all the time I'm looking at images of nice straight spiraled 2-thread wraps and interpreting all of that as moving the threads backwards & forwards ( aka ..... std thread alignment & burnishing of guide wraps ) without the distortion bit.
It sure made perfect sense when the penny dropped about context.
Its one of those things where the words describe the activity perfectly ................having done the activity................but are sometimes less clear in their intent if you haven't done the activity....................... and I can be dumber than the next bloke sometimes...................... I certainly was on that occasion

Since the penny dropped I have enjoyed playing with 3 & 4 thread underwraps and even some fancy sequential fades getting different effects.

with underlays of
Black, aquamarine (m) & gold ( M )
or
Black, aquamarine (M) , royal blue(M), Gold(M0 & Silver (M ) in a 3 thread sequential fade switching the blues in one thread & the silver / gold in the other ( repetitively )along the same wrap )with different top wrap non-metallic coloured threads in a 2-thread top layer sacrificial giving abalone like effects, amongst them. ( depending on the colour of the single top thread you leave behind ).
I tried it with some of the multi-colour threads like the madeira ones.................but it didn't come out the same as using metallics and longer lengths of the different colours.

You could play with that stuff forever and never get bored.

Absolutely amazing how the eye is fooled by the moire effect.
The only frustrating bit , is you don't have a clue what you have created until you finish it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2009 08:01AM

Steve,

What I was saying was that we make sure the articles contain all the little extra tips and tricks that often and usually do spell the difference between success and failure. You may still need to practice the technique, of course, but you won't generally run into any surprises or otherwise difficulties if you have the proper information in front of you the first time around.

When we unveiled articles such as do-it-yourself flocking and the tiger/holowraps, many guys decided to forego getting the magazines and to just try things by the bits and pieces they could pick up on the internet, or through later tutorials that may not have been given the same scrutiny that the magazine articles had gotten. They'd write about all the little problems they were having and then mention the solutions they had come up with. But those solutions were already in the magazine articles, if only they'd taken the time to obtain and read them.

I'm already seeing it with the article we did on the new decal media. Guys have seen photos and learned where to buy the media. They're snapping it up and going home and creating a mess - complaining that the technique is no good or the media is bad. But none of these guys bothered to obtain and read the article. Every problem area they're having is due to not having the article in hand and therefore not knowing all the little caveats that prevent them from getting good results. Eventually they'll stumble onto ways to make the media work and think they've discovered something special. They thing is, those discoveries are already in the article and would have made their progress much quicker, easier and more sure.

Posted by: Justin R Karriker (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 01:53PM

I know this is late, but after doing some searching, my mind got to wondering, what exactly does the opposite wound thread do for the tiger effect VS same direction. In no way shape or form and I doubting the technique, obviously it works, but I'm a wonderer of WHY about things, and this is one of them.

If you burnish the bottom, so it looks like a "guide wrap nightmare", do the next step or two, depending on how you look at it, then you put the top 2 threads on, in the opposite direction, how the eye know the difference if said threads are laid straight, sacraficial thread removed without disturbing the thread that stays? I tried it both ways and still got the effect? I'll admit that I haven't done enough to know if it works 100% of the time.

Only frustration is, on the last wrap, I used Madeira thread, in turn using color preserver, and the effect went away, I haven't applied finish yet, as I don't want to go through the trouble, if finish won't bring the color back out?

Posted by: Justin R Karriker (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 01:58PM

I know this is late, but after doing some searching, my mind got to wondering, what exactly does the opposite wound thread do for the tiger effect VS same direction. In no way shape or form and I doubting the technique, obviously it works, but I'm a wonderer of WHY about things, and this is one of them.

If you burnish the bottom, so it looks like a "guide wrap nightmare", do the next step or two, depending on how you look at it, then you put the top 2 threads on, in the opposite direction, how the eye know the difference if said threads are laid straight, sacraficial thread removed without disturbing the thread that stays? I tried it both ways and still got the effect? I'll admit that I haven't done enough to know if it works 100% of the time.

Only frustration is, on the last wrap, I used Madeira thread, in turn using color preserver, and the effect went away, I haven't applied finish yet, as I don't want to go through the trouble, if finish won't bring the color back out?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster