I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What % of rods do you sell
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 01:21PM

Looking for some numbers to run through a data base I have.
Here in the Pacific Northwest we are mainly, salmon and sturgeon. There is some bass and pan fish, a little ocean type fishing.
What I'm looking for is the percentage of each type rod that is sold, baitcaster, spinners, fly, stand ups.
Out of 100 rods what would be the % of each type? I do under stand that different area's of the country will be different.
IE
baitcasters = 60%
spinning = 20%
stand ups = 5%
All others = 5%
Fly = 10%

You can reply here or preferred if you emailed your response to me.
Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What % of rods do you sell
Posted by: David Page (---.130.90.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 03:27PM

It would be 98% baitcasers here, maybe 99% lol.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.206.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 05:40PM

The FL Big Bend is about 70% spinning rods and 29% bait casters and >1% fly rods. I personally don't or haven't built any stand up rods but w/ NOAA closing grouper for 2-3 months and snapper fishing for the better part of the year it's hard to justify the expense of a custom rod for 4-5 trips a year.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 14, 2009 07:00PM

99.5% Casting, .5% spinning for me down here in Texas.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 08:00PM

Probably about 85% Baitcaster 15% spinning. That might be a little high on the spin side. Most bass fisherman only want a dropshot or shakey rod for spinning anymore.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 08:31PM

I don't sell rods anymore but when I did most were popping rods being on the coast. About 95% popping rods and the rest were surf rods, fly rods, and bass rods. Like Matthew stated, it doesn't pay to have an offshore rod built to go on a charter and keep two red snapper. It is different if you have your own offshore boat and go out more often and target other fish then you can justify building offshore rods.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.206.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 08:47PM

Ellis,
You can get just about any kind of offshore boat around here right now for next to nothing. A lot of guys are getting out of it as 2 snapper and 2 grouper (4 if you can find any gags) just ain't worth the expense.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 14, 2009 09:04PM

About 75% spinning, 20% trolling and a few baitcasters and occasional fly rod

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 14, 2009 09:34PM

About 90% Baitcasters, 10% Spinning , No Fly Rods.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Lyle Stokes (---.rt-bras.pell.centurytel.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 09:53PM

We build about 90% baitcasters, 5% Spinning, 5% ultralite and flyrods if that much.

www.blackhorsecustomrods.com

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 14, 2009 11:07PM

55:35:20 Spinning /Baitcaster/other.

Outback Custom Rods

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 11:26AM

In my little part of this big world (New Jersey surf), I'd say that at least 90% of beach fishermen use spinning, regardless of whether they're using bait or throwing artificials. I'd say 95% spinnning, 4.5% conventional/baitcasting, and 0.5% other (mostly fly, although there are some oddball rigs out there, like my Alvey bait setups). in boats it's a different story, but virtually every guy I see fishing from shore is using spinning.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 11:27AM

In the upper midwest, I sell about 95% spinning rods for my walleye fishing customers and about 80% bait casters for my bass fishing customers.
Then, it is about 100% bait casters for my heavy northern and muskie fishing customers.
Of course any of my clients that are traveling to the ocean for the big fish are about 100% bait casters.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 11:50AM

50% Baitcasting
20% Spinning
30% Fly

Jeff
SW Washington

Posted by: Bill Larsen (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 12:42PM

Here in the N.East mostly salt stuff. 50% surf spinning, 20% conventional surf & boat rods, 30% fly rods, both salt & freshwater.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 04:53PM

Tim I think you need to direct your question more towards your OR. area. example you mentioned Salmon. Steelhead and Sturgeon. What style of fishing are you doing/ Bank fishing, casting, plunking, trolling, bundogling, plugging or using bait.. Before the Sturgeon guys get on me We all know you plunk be it from a boat or bank. That being said, a rod blank does not care how it built. It is concerned with line weight. You might email or call Todd Vivian at Mud Hole. His email is trodd@mudhole.com You do know Todd is from the NW West and has fished for any thing that swam in our coastal streams and Pacific Ocean from Mexico to Alaska. Todd developed and designed 98% of Lamiglas blanks for over 25 years. I have built custom rods in NW WA for over 30. What is your email address direct. Mine is balcomberods@aol.com
Good Wraps Bob

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2009 10:21PM

I would imagine it GREATLY depends on the combination of your target clientele and your location.

Date: February 15, 2009 10:59PM

Sorry Todd Vivian's emai is todd@mud hole.com

Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 15, 2009 11:52PM

Also I should mentioned what season are you targeting. As the season changes so do fishing tactics

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: February 16, 2009 02:29PM

In the midwest 60% spin, 30% baitcast which included musky rods, 10% fly rods and ice rods, trolling rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster