I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re work handle / grip area?
Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 06:36PM

I am working on this spinner for steelhead. After seeing some work in the photo area I got to wondering. I have only built a few rods and pretty much went with how I see other spinners "in the store", but with the components I wanted. This one is for me. So my question is:

Will I notice the difference in sensitivity if I remove the fore-grip and cut the seat down to a skeleton seat? Of course I would have to remove and re-wrap the trim area, not a real big deal since so far it has no CP or epoxy.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I understand what some of you are saying about less weight / mass. That is why I am asking. The photos also make me wonder about "split-gripping" the lower cork area. Thanks!

Andy K

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Re work handle / grip area?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2009 06:46PM

It would be more sensitive. Can you feel it? Probably not. At some point we're talking such small amounts that the human hand isn't able to register such a thing.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.206.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 08:52PM

Less the foregrip and a shorter reel seat will certainly make it lighter and lighter is more sensitive but like Tom said you're not talking about enough of a difference for your hands to feel.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 11:24AM

Andy,
You won't notice the difference.
It will look different, but you really won't feel any difference while fishing.
I would however, suspect that you might find the rod might be more uncomfortable to hold while fishing.

I really think that this is one area that all of us as rod builders need to respect. i.e. the needs of the customer, both for appearance, his requirements, appearance, and in the final analysis - the long term comfort of the rod while fishing.

A custom rod is really no treat to use, if the customer has a sore hand, or sore wrist after using it for a day, because we as rod builders - changed the rod to be more modern or more in with the new things on the market.

If the changes are warrented, if the changes improve the clients fish catching ability and long term fishing comfort - by all means incorporate these changes into the rod.

However, if changes to rod design come at the expense of the fishermans comfort after a long day of fishing, or cuts down on his / her ability to catch fish - then we have to be very very careful about incorporating such changes into a rod.

I might respectfully suggest that before we build a rod for a client that is significantly different from great rods built in the past; that we build one in a new or different style for ourselves and give it a good long fishing workout to be sure that we have built a product that will really make our customers happier and more productive on the water.

Remember, we are custome rod builders to do one thing - put fish in the boat or freezer. Sure it is great to built great works of art, and have them hang on the wall, but the real test for a good custom rod is the ability to catch fish in the hands of the client.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 02:36PM

Well then. Sounds like I need to finish it up and take it out fishing!

I totally agree with a fishing rod feeling good in the hand. Maybe on a next rod I will play around with the whole "less is better idea", as long as it still feels good. Thanks for the feedback!
Andy

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: February 16, 2009 10:25AM

Roger.

You make a very valid point.

Harold

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 08:02PM

andy, you got it!

less is better, but if it feels bad, whats the point.

find what feels good, looks good and works for you and run with it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster