I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread: Gudebrod vs Fish Hawk
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 09:14PM

Good evening.

I have been having trouble with Gudebrod thread - fuzzies. Especially on the smaller diameter tip sections of a fly blank. I guess due to the extreme flexing of the thread on the smaller diameter.

Discussed the problem with a sponsor and Fish Hawk thread was recommended as a viable substitute. Started to wrap this P.M. and discovered that the FH thread has a much "looser" twist than the GB which makes for a flatter lay. The lays of fiber in the FH untwist, it seems, too easily.
I would say that the GB has about 5 twists to every one of the FH thread after wrapped. Something that one would expect of silk.

Does anyone use FH thread and what is the practical significance of its looser twist to the final product?
Thanks.
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread: Gudebrod vs Fish Hawk
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 09:38PM

I use both. I have seen the same thing w/ the FH nylon thread, and no longer use it for my rods. I noticed that it was harder to pack than Gudebrod, and I would end up with gaps no matter what I did. That being said I use the FH mettalics exclusively, they are FAR superior to the Gudebrod mettalics. The mettalic does not unravel nor does it have that goofy corkscrew effect when it comes off of the spool.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Date: February 10, 2009 09:49PM

Scott,
Thanks.

I can do without gaps - I will ship FH back to sponsor and, I guess, put up with the Gudebrod unless someone has a better alternative.
Herb

Date: February 10, 2009 10:08PM

Just found a web site by Roger McCourtney. Roger states that his experiance with FH is dismal. Thread does not cut cleanly, frays and does not take finish evenly - blotchy.
Herb

Date: February 10, 2009 10:09PM

Just found a web site by Roger McCourtney. Roger states that his experiance with FH is dismal. Thread does not cut cleanly, frays and does not take finish evenly - blotchy.
Herb

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 10:10PM

Herb, I would agree with the cutting also. But again, only on the Nylon. I love their mettalics, they are great.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Jim Fielding (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: February 10, 2009 10:23PM

I recently tried a spool of the Rodsmith Stay True. Really like the way it handles and the color on the spool is what you get. I like it better than the GB NCP. Crisper color. Haven't tried the RS regular nylon yet so no comment. Also give a thumbs up to the FH metallics, but hard on cutters. Lurk here a lot, but don't post much. 25+ year hobby builder.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 10:36PM

I haven't experienced the problems mentioned above with FishHawk nylon but I've only
wrapped a couple rods in the last 5mo. I used it exclusively for a while last year weaving
& cross-wrapping and had no issues and was very impressed with the metallics.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 06:55AM

I've been using Fishhawk more and more and haven't had any of the problems experianced above. IT's a little thinner than Gudebrod, and the fact that it lays flatter makes it easier to apply finish to.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2009 07:35AM

FishHawk Thread has been around a long time and it's not known for those problems. I use it and have never had problems with blotchiness or anything else for that matter. You may simply have gotten a bad spool or 2, just like happens with the Gudebrod from time to time.

Send it back to Robbie Smith at Fish Hawk, direct, and explain the situation. Robbie is probably the first thread supplier that really cares about the rod builders and takes an active role in working with them to get the thread we ask for. I think you'll find him quite receptive to solving your problem. He'll also be at the Expo for anyone that would like to discuss thread with him there.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: February 11, 2009 07:49AM

I also have been using FishHawk for quite sometime and haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned above, which is why I recommend it to anyone who asks which thread they should get. But also as stated above the metallics are far superior to the Gudebrod. Thanks Scott Parsons

Posted by: Robbie Smith (---.84.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 07:50AM

We are more than happy to replace or refund for any thread which is bad or does not meet customer satisfaction for any reason. Our goal is to produce a nylon thread which is fuzzy free, lays flat, and can be tightly packed. Our FishHawk brand of nylon was produced strictly for rod builders so it is very important to me that everyone is happy with the performance of the thread. If not, then it will be replaced with a smile.
We are displaying at the Expo and I look forward to meeting everyone. We will showing some new and wild looking threads and will value opinions on the new stuff!

Many Thanks,

Robbie

Date: February 11, 2009 08:02AM

As always, thank you all.

I finished one short wrap on a single footed guide and actually liked the look - flatter. But along the way there were one or two very long (3mm) single strand fibers that were visable. I was able to "snap" them off with a tweezer.
But the finished wrap looked good - very flat.

I will call Robbie today and discuss - but in the meanwhile does anyone know if the metallics will lay lower on the blank to match the nylon. I wouldn't want the metallic trim to stand much higher in the wrap than the nylon. That is why I switched from Gudebrod to sulky for metallics.

Also, Billy is the reason you do not have to use CP because you use FH thread???
FH site that one does not have to use CP to retain color. I don't know if I will like that since I really do not like vivid colors on the finished blank. Dark purple in Gudbrode just has a hint of color. Perhaps the FH will really be purple.

Herb

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 09:59AM

No, I don't use CP because I use underwraps on most of my rods, which are SW. I ONLY use Nylon thread, whether it be Gudebrod, Fishhawk, or The NERBs Thread, and I put it over a metallic underwrap. Nylon threads do not automatically get darker when you apply epoxy, tehy go TRANSLUCENT, so whatever teh color is below it, it kind of "blends" together. So if you wrap White over black, you get black because it'smore dominating of a color. When you put white over silver, you get white. Yellow over Blue will result in a greenish bluish color, and blue over yellow the Blue wil pretty much stay the same becasue it's a darker color than yellow.

Herb, sinc eyou are in tesing mode, either paint or do a wrap with a light color on a scrap blank. WRap over this, as well as bare blank with a Nylon thread. Epoxy it and see what happens, I think my explanation will make more sense then.

Any time you use a new product, there will be a learning curve. Sometimes with a brand new spool of thread, you might need to emove the top layer, as quite often teh thread sits on the shelf of a shop/factory and accumulated dust partices and general crap, which can possibly damage the thread. This is true regardless of the thread you purchase, unless eaach spool is individually sealed like Madeira, or Fishhawk Silk.

Date: February 11, 2009 06:16PM

I spoke to Robbie tdy. Very cooperative. He is sending me sample of metallic and I am going to do a couple of test wraps on my "testing blank" and see what I will see.

Billy - I understand re underwraps and see now why you do not need CP.

All of my wraps are on fly rods except for a retro I did for my son in Dix Hills on a 50's Conolon blank that was my fathers and mine for party boat fishing on the Rose & Jim. If you have any fishermen in your family in their 70's or 80's or, if they can still string two words together, their 90's will remember the boat. It was about a 35 footer, wood of course, low to the water, painted pipe railings with one big diesel. It used to sail out of a South Shore inlet - forgot which - but probably Fire Isl or Jones'. The main "cabin" had benches all around the engine and if you could stand the noise you could nap or keep warm in the fall.
We caught a lot of fluke, sea bass and conger eels. I remember one guy caught what was a huge silver eel.

The rods were built by a gentleman who owned a bait and tackle shop near the Cross Bay Blvd bridge - name of Marino. Called there a couple of years ago - shop still there but the young owner did not know Marino. He did magnificant work with different materials than we have tdy.
Regards - thank you all for your help.
Herb.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster