I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Expoxy in a Tight Place?
Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 05:31AM

Greetings. I just built an 8 weight fly rod for my brother. I took it out to do some practice/test casting
and noticed that there is a slight separation with the top ring of cork on the premade grip that I used, right
where my thumb presses up against it. The crack flexs open and close with each cast and runs half way
around the handle. Even when the blank is flexed the crack is very small (a hairline crack). I am not sure
by just pressing expoxy up against the crack, it will get far enough in. Are there any tricks I can use to get the
epoxy in far enough to ensure a good strong adhesion?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Expoxy in a Tight Place?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 08:06AM

There is no specifies procedure for this but I would tape the surrounding area. get some free flowing epoxy like West System.
Flex the grip to open the crack and work epoxy into the crack with a well cleaned spark plug feeler gauge or other some-such instrument.
unflex and wipe area with alcohl. Other than cutting off and replacing the offending ring I can't think of anything else. The vendor may be able to send you another grip and you can "canabilize the specific ring so there would be no shaping required.
Herb

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2009 08:17AM

I'd go with something such as Herb suggests. You should be able to slip a card or thin spatula into the opening and get some epoxy in there. Or, put some in a syringe and inject it into that opening. It won't take much.

Allow the blank to unflex and the cork will close on itself - that's all the clamping pressure you need. Wipe the outside of the cork with some alcohol and watch it for any more that might seep or be forced out. You shouldn't even have to sand anything afterwards.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 08:55AM

Tom could he not also swell the cork with hot water and use a radiator clamp to squeeze the cork to close the gap. after bonding agent is injected.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2009 09:07AM

Unlike wood glues, epoxy assemblies don't require clamp pressure for strength - you just want the gap closed for appearance purposes. I think the rod itself, when straight, will apply enough pressure to do that. If not, then a cork clamp could be used.

I don't think I'd use water on anything there.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 10:59AM

Tom,
I would put the rod in a rod drying chuck, mix up a batch of epoxy and lay it in the area needing filling. Then, I would use a heat gun to heat the mix as the rod is rotating, The heat will thin the epoxy to water like consistency and allow it to flow into and fill any gaps.
Use good judgement in how much to use and keep an eye on it as it cools. Insure that you have the right amount, and if it overflows a bit, insure that the rotating rod does a good job of leveling and smoothing the epoxy for a final finished look.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 01:33PM

I haven't tried it on cork but I've had good results using thin CA glue in the same situation on wood.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2009 08:40AM

Thanks. This is all good information. I think I will try a thin epoxy, then apply it with a spatula with the
blank somewhat flexed and then apply some heat. Thanks again. Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster