I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

finish mixing question
Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 10:40PM

For the first time in I can't remember how long I am out of syringes. I need to apply some finish tonight or first thing in the morning and have no place close to get any. I'm finally going to try the Threadmaster I bought several months ago. How exact do I need to be? If I'm real close with my 50/50 mix will it be close enough? Usually I feel lucky to live an hour from Angler's Workshop but tonight it seems way too far away.

Thanks,

Jeff Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finish mixing question
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 10:53PM

Do you have any stainless steel measuring spoons ? or even a teaspoon would work in a pinch. All the years I've been building rods I have never once used syringes. I started out for the first several years with the measuring spoons then the last four or five years now I use plastic measuring cups that I buy by the case.

Lance

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 10:55PM

Jeff,

Fill each cap with each portion, drain them well into another mixing cup of some kind and mix away. You'll be fine.

DR

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 11:03PM

Remember, the larger the portions ... the larger the margin of error.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 12:39AM

if you have a used set you can use them with any finish. As long as you use each one - resin to resin and hardener to hardener. I have a set i have used for over a year now. every once in a while I clean with alcohol.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 06:51AM

Jeff, I use Threadmaster all the time, and I never use a syringe. I mark the 1 Dram line and the 2 Dram line on a plastic mixing cup with a Sharpie (so I can see the line better), and fill hardner to the first line, resin to the second line. Then I mix for three minutes. No less. I've never had a failure. I do warm the TM up in water in the sink for about 5-10 minutes first. If I need more, I mark the 2 and 4 Dram lines.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 07:10AM

I build rods for several officers of the law and they are in my shop quite often - both spoons and syringes are suspect but I feel more comfortable using the measuring spoons - I leave them all on the attachment ring and do not chance putting the syringes in plain view! They all suspect I am on a high but they have no clue why - don't have to measure the Perma Gloss!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 02:15PM

I drill a hole in each cap just big enough to tightly fit a syringe tip into. Invert the bottles and draw out the amount of finish you want and squirt into a mixing cup. Stick the syringe back into the cap and draw back an inch or so and place on a shelf until next time. When the bottles run dry take the caps/syringes off and place on new bottle. Never have to clean the syringes and you can't mix them up or lose them. I've been using the same syringes/caps for at least a couple years. Quick, easy, no mess, no fuss and consistant, no brainer measurements every time no matter how little you mix.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Guidry (---.spk.usace.army.mil)
Date: February 06, 2009 03:03PM

Mike,
Are you using the plastic tip syringes or actual doctors type? Another question I have is brush type and cleaning them. Typically I have been using the purple brushes and throwing them away after every use. Except when applying CP. I have been afraid of contamination on my finish if cleaned improperly. I have been going through alot of brushes though. Question is. What are some preferred methods and types of brushes? Sorry if this is an old topic I`m fairly new to the board.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 03:21PM

Get the syringes MADE FOR ROD BUILDING, as they do not carry silicone in the stopper area as a lubricant. Mike's way is the best way!

Brushes, I buy the Darice KIDS Crafts brushes in a pack of 30 at X-mart in the arts and craft section, Couple bucks and toss them away after 1 use. No cleaning, no problems. They are fairly stiff bristles, resist shedding and sometimes you have to weed out one or two bent nylon hairs to make the bristles nice and straight, but all in all a very good brush. I usually buy 3-4 packs each time I'm there. You can find a cheap box of 500 wooden craft sticks (Popsicle) there as well, and they make it nice to mix bonding epoxy with and toss away.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 03:48PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 03:44PM

Ditto what DR said !
I also set up my finish bottles just like Mike B.
no fuss, no mess and accurate every time.
been using the same syringes ( flex coat ) for about 2 years.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 03:51PM

I use the syringes from Flexcoat or U-40 avaolable from any vendor on the left. They are silicon free and don't have the black rubber stoppers that dry out and get stuck For brushes, I get 24 for a couple bucks at the craft store and trim to a angle with scissors. For Spatulas, McDonald distributes great individulally wrapped ones at a great price!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 04:57PM

DO not use Medical syringes they are lubracated with a silicon . Heck when I was in business I had cops who were fishermen come in all the time. I even trained a few. They are trained and they know the differance between a craft syring and medical sriyng. What they questioned was the Acetone . I use Acetone for cleaning and thining. Any way they were cool about it.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Michael Guidry (---.spk.usace.army.mil)
Date: February 06, 2009 05:23PM

Once again thanks everyone.

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 05:40PM

Hi,
my first post on the board and just wanted to say what works for me.
I went to an apothecary shop and got some of those glass eye/nose medicine droppers from way back when.Washed them in Alch. I marked them so i can never mix them up and just keep using them: the gold topped one for resin the red for hardener. Used nail polish just below the rubber part that creates the vacuum. They can hold 2cc each.
I have mixed threadmaster down to 10 drops of each and its worked fine.
Every 10 or 12 uses i clean them out with alcohol.
Hope that helps.

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 11:24AM

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Used the caps to measure and worked fine. I like the method of drilling the caps and leaving the syringes in place.

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster