I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro guide supplier...
Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.ips.PaulBunyan.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 10:04PM

Where would you all recommend I purchase a few sets of micro guides from? I have a couple blanks to wrap and want to give the micro guides a try. I plan to spiral wrap both blanks, and will probably use the quick transition to the bottom of the blank. Would an 8 as the first guide work with a 4 as a bumper between the transition guide and the first on the bottom, probably use a 6 for the first on the bottom, then 3's the rest of the way out to the tip be a good set up? Would it work if I started with a 6 instead of an 8? I want to use as small of guides as possible. Thank you for the suggestions in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro guide supplier...
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 10:13PM

Bob at Custom Tackle Supply on the left in the sponsor section.

I like an 8mm as a stripping guide (first guide from reel), then go down from there, I have used a 6mm but I like the height of the 8mm better..... and yes your 4mm will work as it's only use will be to keep line off the blank in the bumper method.

DR

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 10:14PM

I have them in stock. Here's the link to the page.

I like to use a no. 6 double ft guide then a no. 5.0 micro, then a 4.0 micro and six 3.5 micros as my 180 degree guides.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Lance

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 12:43AM

Why not use the 3 as the bumper, all you are doing is keeping the line off the blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: February 06, 2009 10:51AM

Hi Trinity,
I would suggest getting sz 6, 8, and 10 for possible butt guides, and 4, 5, 6 as possible bumpers. You will need to set everything up (with tape or rubber bands or zip ties) to see what works with your blank and reel (reel seat and handle already glued in place). Check your line flow, and do some test casting. Smaller butt guides need to be further from the reel to get good line flow. You may need a bigger butt guide to clear a fore grip. If you have a large diameter blank, you may need a bumper bigger than a 4 to keep the line off the blank (assuming you're doing a simple spiral). There are many variables to consider. A few extra guides ordered initially will save you headaches and shipping charges later. Plus, you'll end up with some extra guides for a future rod or testing.
George

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2009 10:56AM

You do not want to use a too small ring for the bumper guide if the rod is expected to flex well into the butt section. You don't want any side load on the bumper guide and thus a larger ring in a low frame (bent/shaped even lower) is your best bet for use as a bumper guide. The line may need a bit of leeway in that area if you expect a full flex in the butt section. Generally a size 8 is sufficient.

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: February 06, 2009 11:17AM

Are the guides form Swampland and Custom tackle th esame guides? I can't seem to find them on the CT site...

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 11:47AM

We carry the Micro guides in three different frame and ring configurations from Batson Enterprises and three different frame and ring configurations from Fuji. Give me a call at 931-684-6164 and I be glad to discuss the various Micro guides we offer.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster