I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

calstar 655 v 655h v grafighter 760L
Posted by: gary chesters (---.cable.ubr03.roth.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: January 25, 2009 02:25PM

Which of the three Calstar blanks do you guys suggest and why for a 5ft 6inch all roller unibutt 30/40lb stand up rod for targeting striped marlin sailfish wahoo tuna up to 100lb etc

Regards Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: calstar 655 v 655h v grafighter 760L
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2009 09:33PM

On a stand-up I'd go no longer than 6' overall length. The whole point is to reduce the leverage the fish has against you. I think you're on the right track with the 5'6" length.

I would personally choose the 655 or 655H in your situation, if you're decided on a stand-up type rod.

Date: January 26, 2009 03:08AM

the rods will be 5ft 6- 5ft 8 inch with unibuts , i like the look and feel of the graphiters(i own several) i may cut the 760l to 5ft 8inch or 5ft 6 inch

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2009 09:01AM

You can certainly do that. My preference is not to cut blanks more than an inch or two. Cutting the graphiter is going to require either several inches off the butt (loss of power) or the tip. Both ways make the rod even slower in action. Just keep that in mind.

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: January 26, 2009 11:10AM

All are good choices for your line and application. Because you're using a uni-butt you will have to cut the blank to get the desired final length (from the butt). I build a lot of these type rods for use here in Baja's East Cape, so I may have some suggestions for you. First of all, unless tuna will be the primary target species I'd recommend a 6 foot overall length. That works better for the trolling applications as well as the fish fighting (marlin, dorado, sails). The idea of the short length is for the vertical lifting, which is not really the case for these other species. Also, you might consider using "tuff-butt" or "hard-butt" instead of the uni-butt. This option lets you easily remove the rod from a rod holder when under pressure (from the hook-up), but does not add the extra weight of the uni-butt, which is a benefit when stand-up fishing. Also this option keeps the cost down. Lastly, I feel the grafighters are worth the extra cost.

Posted by: Jason Alvarado (---.osis.gov)
Date: January 26, 2009 03:28PM

Gary are you sure you need rollers? LRSG or HBSG should do the trick and I'm thinking would flex alot more. Tuff butt is a good move, if you want the two piece functionality, Lakeland makes a saltwater aluminum reel seat that is ferruled....or take the wallet hit and pick up the Storabutt and have everything.

Date: January 27, 2009 02:35AM

I am going to go with unibuts because Iam a traveling angler and anything that keeps transport length down is a good thing

My 50s and 80s are on grafighter 755h and 755xxh blanks and I really like them (they are 5ft 6 and 5ft 4 respectivly) which is why I lean towards the 760L blank which from the specs is nice and slim like my other grafighters, my main concern is I have not had the 760l blank in my hand (I live in england) and worried that cutting the blank from the but end to give an overall length of 5ft 8 will make the action too slow as in toms post

i do have nice 20/30 rods on ( cut to 5ft 8inch) grafighter600m blanks (with fugi oval guides) and am looking to for something in between these and the 755h

I feel that rollers are more durable and give less line wear, but nice sic guides would make the rod lighter and more usable for other aplications- I am leaning towards rollers

regards Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2009 02:42AM by gary chesters.

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: January 27, 2009 11:01AM

Gary,
I often cut these blanks for use with uni-butts. Basically you're just replacing the lower section of the blank with a different one. So, it really doesn't affect the action too much.

Date: January 27, 2009 02:30PM

Bill have you ever cut a 760L down to 5ft 8inch overall length and was the action still fairly fast, looking at the taper on this blank 9/64 tip to 0.84inch but I am worried that it might be quite a slow action and cutting from the butt might make it too slow for a 5ft 8 stand up

I have looked at the 7460L blanks but they are way too stiff in the lower section for what I am after I think they are aimed at long range rail/tuna fishing.

Regards gary

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster