I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bad Spool of Thread?
Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: January 25, 2009 02:59PM

Test wrapping with a spool of Gudebrod Candy Apple Red to figure out whether I want to CP or not. Wrapping on a scrap piece of blank that's about 3/8" in diameter-about every 1/4" or so down the scrap I get a dark band about 2-3 threads wide. Stripped off about 10 yds off of the spool-no change. Applied CP to a couple of them knowing that wasn't going to make it go away. Doubt if it looks any better when CP dries. Did I get a bad spool? Guess I'll strip off some more and see if it's like that the whole way through before ordering more or asking customer if I can go with something else. Guess that's what I get for asking about boat colors instead of just using black.

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bad Spool of Thread?
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2009 03:05PM

Sounds more like a packing issue that a thread issue.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2009 03:17PM

if you use a thread tension device, clean it. I used to use one and easily saw this happen with lighter colors at times. If the marks are on the spool....it may be a spool issue.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2009 04:00PM

Can you see the same dark bands on the thread that's on the spool?

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: January 25, 2009 07:26PM

I am new so take this with a grain of salt, but one day I did not clean my hands before starting to do some wrapping and i had the same problem, like the oils in my hands were darkening the thread. And since you do not squeeze the entire length of thread through your fingers but rather are more likely to just squeeze it while you are readjusting or holding slack then those could be the dark spots. Or who knows, i could be outside my mind. Hope it helps.
James

Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2009 07:57PM

Chris,
I just had the same thing doing a long base wrap for marbling with Gudebrod 1892 Olive Green. Was 1/2 way into the spool, use this color a lot but never noticed it on short guide wraps. In this case the marbling disguised it so you can't even see it, thankfully.
Tom White

Tom White
Rod & Reel Restoration

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 25, 2009 09:48PM

I know this isn't the same, but I had probably the worst loaded spool of line yesterday. Couldn't do a holo wrap because it was basically a birds nest under the top layer or so of thread. pick it out, go a little more, hit another one. Frustrating.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 06:25AM

My color vision is poor-so, no I can't see it on the spool. It is too regular on the rod to be a packing issue-intervals are spaced almost perfectly. I have stripped half of the spool off and will try again. If my eyes can see a problem-then there is one.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 07:04AM

Chris wear dark green shades and hold the thing at arms length and the Candy Apple will be fine - or use black!

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.199.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 26, 2009 09:26AM

use black or marble over the guide wraps EZPZ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster