I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip-top adhesive
Posted by: Ash Carlton (---.fairchildproducts.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 02:01PM

I watched the Flex Coat "How We Do It" video last night and thought of something. They mentioned how one of the guys there runs it through a hot melt glue gun and to make real thin slivers. Is tip-top adhesive the same thing as hot melt glue or is it actually a different creature all together?

Ash

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip-top adhesive
Posted by: Randall Wilinski (---.Library.eiNetwork.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 03:00PM

Hi Ash,

Of all the tip top cement that I've ever used, it always came in a stick form but it was always heated with a flame in order to melt the end of the stick and apply directly to the rod tip then.

I've never seen rod tip cement in a stick that will fit through a hot melt glue gun.

Always get the rod building rod tip cement. It is a different glue than the hobby sticks or the hardware variety types of hot melt glue sticks.

A lot of the sponsors to the left should have it.

Good custom rod building and good fishing to you .

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 03:34PM

Your common hot melt glue from the hobby shop melts at a far lower temp than does rod tip cement.
Although both are heat melted and applied, and I suppose you could use a hot melt glue gun to melt the tip cement, it would be a bit of a waste of time to wait for the gun to warm up just to adhere a rod tip.
If you want to experiment for yourself, take a piece of that hotmelt glue and set it on your dashboard in the hot sun one day, make sure its on something it can melt to.

I've also used epoxy to adhere the tip on some rods, even wrapped up the tube a bit and coated the tip with rod finish. I had a few rods with the tips moved where people left them in a hot car in the dead of summer. Those who carry their one piece rods in the car across the seats with the tip in the front or rear window have had a few issues with tip cement.

I've always used either Gudebrod or Flexcoat cement, so if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. I think the Flexcoat cement was what was melting in the sun. The Gudebrod cement I have is the older, darker type which I no longer think is available, it takes a bit more heat to melt. The Flexcoat (T2) cement looks more like hot glue sticks. The newer Gudebrod cement looks about like the Flexcoat product now.
The old stuff melts thinner than does the new stuff but is dark brown in color.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2009 04:16PM

Ash,

The way I do it is take the tip top glue stick in my glue gun. When it begins to melt I run six or eight strips of glue about the size of a tip top opening. I do strips about 8 inches long.

When i glue a tip top on I just nip off a 1/2 inch section and stick it in the tube. Hold the tube over a flame for a few seconds and slip it on and adjust.

I have had a couple come loose so I think I will do this so it will stay where i want it until it is time to epoxy the guide wraps and include the tip top too.

Bill.

Oh, BTW, if you do this the strips from the gun should be applied on a amooth shiny surface for easy removal.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 04:47PM

I use Rod Bond. Hot sticks can soften in a hot car or on a boat in hot weather.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 05:39PM

Ash

I have used both tip top adhesive and regular hot glue gun adhesive both have worked. I have switched to 5 min epoxy because of the hot sun in car window issue. I have been real happy with that.

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 07:52PM

I always use the 5 minute epoxy. I never had one come loose using this. You can still remove the tip with heat. It takes a little more heat though. Regular epoxy you can not heat the tip and remove it.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 01:01AM

I've been doing it like Bill for several years with no problem. I run long VERY thin beads out on a sheet of waxpaper. I keep a glass cigar tube full of the "strings" of glue. Haven't had any problem with them and find it convenient to just snip a piece off, drop it in the tip tube, hit with a lighter and put it on the rod

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 11:40AM

You guys who use rod bond or epoxy for the tip top - how do you get it off without damaging the blank if you have to replace the top?

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 01:36PM

I did not have great luck with the Flex Coat Tip Top adhesive. Like others mention above, I've had tips come lose because of the heat. I use 5 minute epoxy and to answer Ted's question, use a little heat when I need to remove the tip.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:41PM

You won't get it off with Rod Bond very easily. I use 5 minute epoxy, and to remove them I use a little heat, then a direct pull. Not too much heat, and DO NOT attempt to twist off when breaking the bond. I have had the misfortune of breaking tips that were a bit sensitive to the heat.

Posted by: David Swiderski (---.dsl.bngr.epix.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 11:09PM

Go to an archery supply store if you cannot find the amber ferrule cement in the rod supply store. higher melting point than the white stuff and it holds very well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster