I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA Inlays
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 09:56PM

Going to try my hand at some simple EVA inlays... just simple rings.

Tried a search and couldn't find anything.

Couple questions:
Best way to cut the EVA block (from mudhole) I am using for the majority of the grip? 18" long, need about a 3" section. What's the best way for a nice smooth cut?

What's the best way to adhere the inlay foam? Contact cement? Put it in a clamp like you do with cork rings? How long?

Thanks... Saturday night experimentation...

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA Inlays
Posted by: Rob Hale (---.northstate.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 10:09PM

I think Rodmakers Magazine had a full story on how to do this awhile back. You might already have it.

I cut mine with a piece of heavy rod winding thread while the grip is spinning in the lathe. Cuts like butter and you get a nice, straight cut. I would turn it round first though.

Weldwood Contact Cement, the yellow snot like stuff, is the best adhesive for gluing the pieces together. Good luck!

Date: January 03, 2009 10:11PM

Thanks. It's tough when you need a volume you don't have and you want to experiment that night.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.northstate.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 10:13PM

It's not hard at all hard to do. And easy to get nice effects even with just simple rings.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 11:10PM

Experiment with contact cement, no clamps and a band saw with a 24 tpi blade?

Saturday night experiments rule...dont get hurt.

MJ

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 03, 2009 11:11PM

Rob is on the money with his help, just a couple extra's for you

DO NOT WRAP

the thread or, I use 30# fishing line around your fingers or hands, just hold it tight between your pointing finger and your thumb, when and it will happen the foam or mandrel catches the string just let go, natural reaction to do so.

When gluing up, if your just doing rings glue the same as cork using contact cement(Weldwood), and clamp just like your cork rings.

Date: January 03, 2009 11:12PM

so far got block cut... inlays cut... dry set up looks good...

String worked great even without rounding the block.

about to spread cement.... we'll see if I am coherent after the use of that stuff!

stay tuned.

-----------------
AD

Date: January 03, 2009 11:20PM

Keep the can wide open and the windows closed ...its saturday night!!!!!!!! lol.

Date: January 03, 2009 11:27PM

BAH.... contact cement is all dried up.

More to come tomorrow...

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 03, 2009 11:46PM

Remember that when the two surfaces touch, that's it!! I usually use a long threaded rod and slide all the pieces on to at least an inch apart and coat both surfaces of each piece with CC and let dry for about an hour and then push together. Craft foam and those Foam door hanger, etc sheets from Craft stores make good trim rings also

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 04, 2009 01:06AM

That's exactly what I am using as the inlay rings MIke. Hobby Lobby had 50 piece 8.5"x5.5" variety pack (2 sheets of each color) for $4.99 on sale 30% off today.

It's raining and foggy... perfect solution to a stuck inside day. Until you have no contact cement. Now I gott find some tomorrow.

-----------------
AD

Date: January 04, 2009 01:39AM

I get those same packs from Michaels Crafts!! Great stuff/Great price

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 04, 2009 02:41AM

Sory about your contact cement.........mine works just fine. lol

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 10:46AM

2 coats of CC on craft foam or it pulls apart. MAke sure the CC is DRY before you press together. Cutting teh blocks teh easiest way is with a power saw type of thing, next best is a serrated kitchen knife, GInsu is ideal. IT leaves a rough surface to say teh least, but you should be able to work with it much easier. Teh thread works great on a rounded piece, I'd be afraid to cut square stock in a lathe with thread, too mch of a chance that the thread might catch. But if it worked for you that's all tha matters.

Posted by: Gary Lowe (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 10:49AM

I use a dual cutter. It makes for exact same size thicknesses. You can get it at Widget Supply [www.widgetsupply.com].

Date: January 04, 2009 11:15AM

Gary,

That looks like a great idea. How long are the blades? How deep does it cut?

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Gary Lowe (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 12:24PM

They cut to about 5/8”. You obviously have to turn the block first. Works great on pre-turned stock grips.

Date: January 04, 2009 12:42PM

Thanks!!! Another toy to explain to the "keeper of the funds"!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: January 04, 2009 06:37PM

My first go is now complete...

Thanks for the help!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

-----------------
AD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster