I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Synthetic Cork? Real or a gimmic?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 11:18PM

I came accross someone advertising Synthetic Cork and pumping it as better because it has a grippier surface. Is there such a thing, or is it the cork colored EVA or corkalon I have seen on cheap rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Synthetic Cork? Real or a gimmic?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 12:56AM

At least one type of Synthetic Cork has been developed and is being sold by a well known outlet in Minneapolis,
I was over at this outlet - when the chemist who developed the store was there working.

This style synthetic cork is actually a form of Plastic Foam. It is lighter than cork, is a bit harder than cork and machines - sands, and shapes at about the same rate as genuine cork.

It was develped to be availalbe in different colors.
Presently, it is only available in one color.

I have seen a lot of rods built with the product and -- although, it looks nothing like cork - it does make a very tough handle.
That is one of the biggest assents of this product - tough, durable, non slip and very light.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Wallace (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 22, 2008 01:55AM

I have used Syncork on a couple of rods and am using them as accent rings on a handle now.

It is harder to work with than regular cork. It has to be worked at slow speeds. When your combine it in a grip with other types of material (cork, rubberized cork), it is the hardest to shape.

It is also an acquired taste. Now that I have used it on a muskie rod all year, I am used to it and like it. The weather doesn't effect it's performance.

It is lighter than cork and I would assume more durable as well.

I like it and will use it again.

Mike Wallace

Date: December 22, 2008 07:11AM

Where can you get the stuff - I would like to have a look at it.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2008 07:40AM

Seen it on some rods. It is an acquired taste. Some think it looks cheap and crude. Others like it for the reasons stated. Ask some of the sponsors to the left. Some of them carry it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 12:46PM

Thorne Brothers in Minneapolis are the folks who developed it and have it available.

Take care
Roger

Date: December 22, 2008 01:07PM

Thanks Roger!

Marc

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 01:13PM

"Lighter than cork". When people make such claims, you should ask HOW MUCH lighter than cork. The Syncork comes in 5/8" wide pieces, whereas cork is only 1/2", I've weighed 1 1/4OD x 1/4" Id x 4" length of both Syncork and real cork rings, and the weight difference is negligible. Syncorck was in fact "lighter", but only by 1/100th of an ounce. Besides that, it's a pretty neat material, I haven't put it in a grip yet, I don't do much with cork. Teh price is right at about $1 apiece, adn teh quality is exactly teh same from one piece to teh next.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 01:24PM

I think it's only a matter of time until fake cork replaces the real thing. If you think fishermen are resistant to abandoning real cork, you should see how the wine people feel -- most feel that anything other than real cork in the neck of their expensive bottle of hooch is an abomination. Despite that, though, synthetic corks are taking over the wine market, and not just in the stuff you see winos drinking out of paper bags. Cost, consistency and quality are driving people away from real cork, and to fake cork, and the same thing is almost guaranteed to happen in the fishing rod world too. I don't think we're there yet, but it will absolutely happen sooner or later. It'll just take a while for some guys to get used to.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 22, 2008 03:51PM

I haven't used regular cork in at least a couple years. I use burl and exotic sork (when I'm not using wood or acrylic) My customers love it and none have been in the least bit concerned that it may be a little heavier. It's cheaper, tougher, every ring is identical, and ,IMO, is better looking

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 03:42PM

You get what you pay for -

Some things are done for a reason - catch a sale!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This one is a no no -

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 05:21PM

I've seen and handled the syncork and I personally like it. It's not like the photo that Bill posted. It's actually in a cork ring form and it's tough. If you hold a regular cork ring between your thumb and forefinger you can crush it; the syncork will hold up and will not crush. It's very hard and very tough if you look at any of the musky fishing forums they like to use the syncork for trolling rods because the syncork will hold up for years in a rod holder and it's light if you want to hang on to a rod. I really don't like the color and it looks odd on a rod, but if your looking for something that will take a beating and it's light this is the stuff you want.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 08:39PM

Bill, you obviously dont' know what Syncork is....4 years from now you'll be posting how much better Syncorck is than regular cork, lmao. What you posted is Syncrap, not Syncork. Entirely different material.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2008 12:05PM

Bill,

I have a grip like that on one of my factory rods. You could say that some of the big boys have been on to the foam core grips for a while.

Not that long ago, you would have had to beat a bass fisherman with a club and odds are he still wouldn't touch a foam grip, but I think times are changing in that market as well. It is amazing what a little marketing jargon and a high price tag will do for a firm eva or similar foam.

The Batson eva split grips are quite nice! I picked up a few sets for moving bait rods, and I am quite impressed.

Joe

Posted by: Keith Terlinden (156.142.3.---)
Date: January 17, 2009 04:16PM

I am one of the licensed users of Syncork and have been one of the first to use it. Most everything said about it is true.

This is a product that is not going to go away. You are right it is an aquired taste but once you get beyond that it is some of the best stuff made. I would say 75% of the bass, walleye and musky sticks I build have Syncork. There is no denying how the stuff performs. Foam and syncork are totally different materials.

Only negative I have heard is from musky fisherman that do not wear shirts in the summer.

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster