I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sanding dark & light cork
Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 12, 2008 06:14AM

Hey Guys,
I am doing a spinning rod for my son for Christmas and descided to match dark brown cork w/ regular light cork for the handle. My problem is when I sand it on my laithe the dust from the dark cork dirties and inbeds into the light cork. How can I clean this dust off the light cork?
Thanks in advance!

Snooker Pete

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sanding dark & light cork
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 12, 2008 08:06AM

Canned air, like you clean computer things with.

DR

Posted by: Matt White (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: December 12, 2008 10:43AM

Canned air or air compressor work just dandy!

Matt White

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2008 10:51AM

Another method is to hold a soft, white eraser against the lighter colored cork.

Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 12, 2008 11:05AM

Thanks guys,
Yea, I'll try the air first but the fine dark cork dust seems to imbed itself into all the deformities of the cork. I think I'll have to use the white eraser too. I knew you would have an answer!

Snooker Pete

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: December 12, 2008 01:31PM

Before a coat of finish I will wet sand cork and then use soap and water to clean up the mess (best to take it off the lathe first). Cork is water resistant after all.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: December 12, 2008 01:46PM

Wipe it with a rag soaked in alcohol and it will absorb the dark cork dust.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2008 05:52PM

Pete,
I build handles like this all of the time.
During the sanding of the handles, the dark and light cork dust gets mixed up on the handle. Not a big deal.
After I am done sanding, buy while the handle is still in the lathe, I hit the handle - while spinning with high pressure air. This takes care of about 95% of the issue.
Then, I go over the handle with a wet rag that has either alchol or acetone on it. That clean up with the wet solvent covered rag, takes care of the last 5%.

Even, when not mixing cork colors, I follow the same procedure to have an ultra clean handle readh for use.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: December 13, 2008 09:47AM

I use an alcohol soaked rag.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 13, 2008 10:17AM

Me. Clean Magic Eraser pads is the best thing that I know of for cleaning cork, EVA or just about anything els (even fish scales) The sthing will even take crayons of a wall. I picked this tip up here a long time ago.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster