I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Difference in Seat Hoods?
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 12, 2008 12:14AM

First of all, I don't think the search feature works, I have done like 20 searches and have come up with no results every time. Anyway, I keep seeing lock nut and then cushioned lock nut, the difference sounds obvious but I am not sure that I have ever seen a cushioned lock nut and if so did not know it. What kind of improvement if any is there over non cushioned lock nuts. I would imagine that it doesn't matter much because the reel is held tight and if the edge of the reel gets scratched who cares it is covered. No idea, looking to the pros once again. I wish Tom's book would get here already. This mail back up is a pain in my butt.
James

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2008 06:04PM by James Willard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Difference in lock nuts?
Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2008 01:15AM

James, I think what you are referring to are cushioned, or non-cushioned reel seat hoods. The part where the toes of the reel mount fit into the reel seat have a liner on the cushioned ones. I personally like the cushioned seats better. The reel doesn't seem to be able to move from side to side like they can on an uncushioned reel seat. Either one will work fine holding a reel, though.

Date: December 12, 2008 02:08AM

Thank you, yes I did mean cushioned seat hoods, I had double aluminum lock nuts on the brain. I hate single graphite lock nuts positioned under the reel. I find that my hand constantly loosens it and so I spend the whole day re tightening it. That will not happen on my rods. (Crossing my fingers, knock on wood). And that makes perfect sense, I think that it would be worth the couple extra bucks for a good firm grip. Thanks
James

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2008 04:35AM

If you fish in saltwater, you will find that the cushioned reel seats work better since they don't wear the paint off of your reel seats, which helps prevent corrosion. It's not an issue with graphite reels or reels with bare metal seats.
Cushioned reel seats do also hold the reel better in general but if a reel moves around side to side, chances are its a matter of the seat being too large.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2008 08:07AM

The cushioned seats allow for expansion and contraction of the seat and/or reel feet. They act as sort of a "rubber band." So once you tighten up on a reel, the seat hoods stay tight, for years at a time even.

For the most part, the advent of cushioned reel seat hoods in the 1980's forever solved the problem of reels coming loose.

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.riv12.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 12, 2008 10:21AM

James Willard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you, yes I did mean cushioned seat hoods, I
> had double aluminum lock nuts on the brain. I hate
> single graphite lock nuts positioned under the
> reel. I find that my hand constantly loosens it
> and so I spend the whole day re tightening it.
> That will not happen on my rods. (Crossing my
> fingers, knock on wood). And that makes perfect
> sense, I think that it would be worth the couple
> extra bucks for a good firm grip. Thanks
> James

Even more important when your customer is going to use a high end reel with a magnesium body for saltwater use

Date: December 12, 2008 04:28PM

Thanks Tom and everyone, that makes perfect sense and all of those reasons are worth a few extra bucks to me separately, but together it is a no brainer. Thanks again.
James

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster