I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a Berkely guide
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 03:21PM

I am trying to find a size 7 spinning guide for a fenwick HMX rod. It is a black frame with stainless insert. I can't for the life of me find these anywhere. If anyone can help that would be great.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a Berkely guide
Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 03:43PM

janns' carries the berkeley guides,

I'm not sure of anyone else that does

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 08, 2008 04:10PM

Scott, are you sure it is a size 7?? A size 6 Berkley guide measures 5.13 mm or .202 on the inside of the ring. And the outside measures 7.30 mm or .287.
Remember the metal rings wont measure like a Ceramic ring. I have some Berkley SF guides in Silver with Gold rings and Black with Silver rings and they all measure the same. I ordered 6's but they look like 7's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2008 04:21PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: December 08, 2008 04:27PM

The size of the guide is based on the ID of the frame isn't it? so it would not be right to measure the insert itself to determine the guide size. With the metal inserts being thinner you would get 2 different measurements for for the ID of the insert and both being size 7.

Posted by: Dave Borkowski (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 04:31PM

Scott,

I was just looking through some of my stuff to try to find one of those guides for you. I'm sorry to say I did not find one for you, but I have some info that might help you.
I have a set of those guides on one of my rods. I measured the ID ring size of a #6 ring because I didn't remember being able to purchase a #7 guide. The ring size on the #6 was approximately .205" which is pretty large for a #6 ring. I also measured the ID of a #7 ring on a ceramic ring and it was .200". So, if you think you might need a #7 guide you might just need a #6 guide because a #6 Berkley guide is bigger than a #7 ceramic guide. Who knew? I hope this helps.

<>Dave

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 08, 2008 06:14PM

Guides made years ago had metal rings and they were measured from the inside of the ring. In later years when they added Ceramic ring inserts to guides they didn't change the measuring system. we still measure from the inside of the metal mounting ring on the frame. Ceramic rings are quite a bit thicker than the metal rings therefore the ID of a Ceramic ring will be quite smaller than one with a metal ring.
Did I say that right correctly ???

Actually the Berkley guide in a size 6 , looks like a size 8 to me, without measuring.

Date: December 08, 2008 06:17PM

Hmm. guess I'll measure it a few ways to figure this out. Still need to find them. I don't really need anything else from Janns.....

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 09:22PM

Scott,
In lie of anything else, just cut all of the guides off the rod and wrap on a new set.
Often, it is just in the best interest of the rod, and of your time, to cut your lossess, and rewrap the rod with new guides as a set.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 09, 2008 06:57AM

I have a few black frame stainless inserts off a shakespeare rod. Email me if you think they will work and I can send them to you. Not sure if I have a size 7 but will check.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: December 09, 2008 09:06AM

Order several of those from Net Craft, they are cheap and you could use some spares. The cost of shipping one guide will make up for it, so while you're at it you might as well make a bigger order.

Date: December 11, 2008 07:43AM

Ended up convincing myself that i needed a few other small parts. Just ordered a few from Janns.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster