I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle Kit Question
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 08, 2008 06:28PM

I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question but I think that it is worth asking of the "rod building elders" (lol). I deciding on the handle I will use for my first rod and since I am fairly sure that it will be far from a keeper I would like to use cheap materials. Not looking for quality so much as experience. Although I will obviously be doing my best work. I have gone back and forth between different handles and butt caps and reel seats, but seems that these somewhat expensive parts would just be a waste on a first blank that will likely not end up being a keeper, in fact I would just build it and take it apart about 10 times if it weren't for the epoxy and flexcoat. I am building a 6' medium power fast action 6-12lb 1/4 -5/8oz. The but size of this rod is .391 and the cheap rod kit I am looking at says that it will only fit blanks with a diameter up to .385. I would normally see this and say duh to big to fit. But this kit is offered in two sizes and one is 13 1/4" long. That dosen't sound like an ultralite handle to me, so this should fit the blank, it is a pretty narrow blank. The handle kit is on Jann's Netcraft catalog #:215107 if you are wondering. I would appreciate any help. Thanks guys.
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle Kit Question
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2008 07:14PM

1) Consider buying a fully preselected kit ... blank, guides, grips, seat, etc. That way EVERYTHING will fit and match. Plenty of vendors on the list to the left offer them.

2) So don't use the epoxy on the grip and the Flexcoat on the guides. Rebuild it 20 times. Ream the grips properly and they will be snug enough to cast the rod without glue. The same applies to the guides, wrap them with thread and play in the yard. Unwrap, clean and start over.

3) Buy something middle of the line and DEFINITELY keep your first rod.

Jim -

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 07:23PM

The rod you have in mind certainly will not require a 13 in grip.

Similar rods to the one you are building can be seen at this link:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The quality of most rods is not a function of how much is spent for the individual pieces and some value components are used by top quality builders on very good fishing rods. Please take a look at the grips listed.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.swbell.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 07:47PM

Check Out Johnnyspond.com they are on the left here (a sponsor). or Mudhole.com also a sponsor. The size and length of the grip are in my oppinion preference on your part. any length you like. As mentioned above Swampland is also a very good source from what I have heard but I have not used them personally. Mudhole has very quick shipping but shipping can be a little high, johnnyspond ships a little slower but they always have really good prices. If you decide to build a fly rod in the future email me. I would check out a slipring (tennessee) grip for an ultralight.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 08, 2008 07:50PM

If I was doing this I'd get a kit as noted above, but I'd get it from someone who also builds rods like Swampland and others as that you get the best parts and correct guides as noted in the library articles. On most kits you get a bunch of spinning gudes or casting guides that aren't necessarily the optimum. With a kit from Swampland and others you get what they would put on one of their builds which should probably cost about the same, but give much better results and more importantly speed up your learning curve.

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 09, 2008 01:08AM

Perfect that helps a lot. I had no idea that you could get away with not epoxying on the reel seat or the handle, or even not finish the guides, i know it won't last long like that but at least I can practice everything but finishing the thread without breaking my tiny bank. And I do realize that 13 in would be way long for a light 6' rod. I was just wondering why a 13 in handle can only accomodate a butt diameter of ultralights and nothing more. And I live on Mudhole.com, and on the catalog, I guarantee I know every single product they carry, almost everything on Jann's netcraft and am learning the batson sight. I will definately look into a kit from swampland, for the most part though I don't like the full kits because they have are the same as the ones I can buy from a store for more and more work. I want better designs in the threads, better operating and looking guides and blanks, and most of all better reel seats because I hate the one graphite lock ring design on a lot of economy rods. and even worse that single lock nut is usually on the back side of the seat so it constantly needs to be re-tightened. Thanks again, and you are right I should definately keep my first rod built, it will probably mean a lot to me some day. Excellent advice as always gentlemen.
James

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 08:34AM

Grips are not made to fit a particular blank or there would have to be 100's of sizes. They come in a few sizes and need to be reamed to fit the particular blank you are using

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: December 09, 2008 09:12AM

Do yourself a favor and call Bill or Lance at Swampland and choose the exact pieces and thread for your rod . They are willing to talk you through the whole set up.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: December 10, 2008 04:14PM

I highly recommend a Pac Bay starter kit, has every thing you need in cluding rod coat, epoxy etc. Every thing you need at a good bite for the buck. JMHO>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster