I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NJ NERBs - Great time!!
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2008 11:46AM

I'd like to thank the 12 builders who came out yesterday for hte NJ NERBs gathering. We spent about 8 hours covering, in great detail several grip inlay techniques (simple trim, Herringbone, elliptical, spider web), cork tape trimmings, decorative wraps, Micro guides, and surf spinning rod guide placement techniques. We actually constructed several grips from scratch our of foam blocks, bored, turned and reamed them to size.

Teh NERBs are doen for 2008 with gatherings, and have already started filling up spots for several gatehrings set for 2009. If oyu are interested in attending, contributing, or being part of The NERBs, send me an e-mail at xlrods@yahoo.com.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NJ NERBs - Great time!!
Posted by: Jim Pizzale (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2008 01:17PM

I was one of the guys that was lucky enough to attend yesterday. This was my first meeting, and for sure won't be my last.
The amount of knowledge that Billy and the others have is awesome. Not to mention the beautiful display of rods, grips, and blanks.

Got so many tips and techniques, I was up at 5am spinning threads in my shop so I wouldn't forget the things Billy was nice enough to
show me late in the day. Once I finished that, I was onto figuring out where to put another bench for a band saw and lathe! My eyes were opened to the endless possibilities with cork-wood-foam thanks to Billy's demos.

Paul Rimbeck (who was nice enough to host the meeting in his VERY well equipped shop) also deserves a big thanks. I "stole" a lot of ideas on what a real shop should look like. Also a very talented builder, his "terapin" was something to see.

A very nice bunch of guys, awesome talent, and all very willing and able to teach and share what they know.

Thanks.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2008 01:18PM by Jim Pizzale.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: November 23, 2008 01:57PM

If you were to come to Florida................ SERBS maybe? Could be a good location for such a thing.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (12.213.112.---)
Date: November 23, 2008 07:06PM

Billy, after attending the midwest Nerbs event I can only imagine the talent at the NJ meeting. I really need to make it out there for a meeting some time.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2008 10:36PM

Just got an e-mail from Paul, which contained a new EVA grip he put together today based on teh prsentation yesterday. Also checked another forum and saw a really sweet wrap somoene did from teh LI Gatehring. It's great to see stuff like that!!

Jim, it was great meeting you, I look foward to seeing some more of your work. ITs' great to see you were up so late goign over some of that stuff, I didn't get home until 10:30 last night, andother 14 hour day at the "office", lol. ITs' always nice to see guys stay late and have questions to ask, and to hear they went home and practiced is just great!!

SERBs...no such thing - The NERBs are worldwide, we are a state of mind, not a location. WOuld love to do gatehrings everywhere, time and money is limited though. Curt Baker & I think Teri Cheatham currently do rod building functions on a monthly basis. Both are really nice people and very knowledgeable. If you can find their info and hook up with them, I think you'd be in for a treat.

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: November 24, 2008 10:40AM

Sure wish those meetings were in NC. would have loved to have been there for the surf spinning rod guide placement discussion. Exactly what I need right now trying to get this 9 1/2 ft rod setup correctly.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2008 10:52AM

You can have one of us show you how at the Expo (the world's largest rod building event) in February, or visit my shop anytime and I'll be happy to help you with it.

We also have several small, informal gatherings here in NC each year. The last was at JP Timberlake's house back in May or so.

Where are you located?

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: November 24, 2008 03:45PM

I'm located in Charlotte and will definitely be at the show in February and will be bringing 4 other first time builders with me. they all want to build fly rods so I figured the best place for them to pick out their blanks and components would be the show. wouldn't miss the show for anything. I would love the opportunity to actually come by and check out your shop and get some pointers on setting up the rod, that is a fantastic offer that I will definintely not turn down. Will shoot you an email to see when you are free. THANKS!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2008 05:01PM

I'll be happy to help any time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster