I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Question For Rod Builders
Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 12:08AM

here's another vote for a guide foot grinder, even if it's an attachment or compliments to a common tool like a dremel, specially designed for various types of guides. and make it $19.95!!! lol

eric
fresno, ca.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 12:17AM

Orings , small wheels with bearings, more tension devices, reverse tension devices for an old Clemens or newer Renzetti, conical springs, nylon bushings and washers....If I were just starting out, it would be great to have an outlet that carried enough stuff to build my own wrapping lathe. Wives (or husbands for some), dont really like a $300 plus purchase for a lathe, THEN the blank and components etc... big start up cost..........."But honey, look at what I'm saving by building the wrapper myself, and we can get a blank for you too!!!" ....sewing machine motors, foot pedals.......................

Posted by: Roy Zeringue (204.9.215.---)
Date: November 20, 2008 12:54AM

Thanks Raymond I hadn't seen those.
Roy

Posted by: robert smith (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 04:13AM

Here the thing about trying to make money off of selling mechanical products to rod builders. We're notorious tinkerer's. It's why we are so enthralled with the craft. Once we see the design, it in our nature to try and do it for ourselves. Good luck, but once you let the cat out of the bag, it's out for good.

RS

Oh yeah, a design for that guide foot machine would be much appreciated.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 08:17AM

Definitely guide alignment tool ........... I start at the top and it's still a pia

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2008 08:50AM

Some builders do tinker, but most never build their own tools. Most never build their own grips, or seats, etc. The vast majority tend to buy these things premade, both tools and component assemblies.

This is why companies who make wrapping jigs and lathes have managed to stay in business for so many years.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: November 20, 2008 09:54AM

Burnishing tool. I use the standard plastic issue model, but after a couple of dozen rods or so the "edge" used for packing and aligning the ends of the wraps becomes worn and rounded and is no good for that task. I was thinking along the lines of a metal burnishing tool but then to have a defined edge on the tool I am concerned about scratching the finish on the blank. Have you thought about adding something along these lines to your tools?

Buzz

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 10:01AM

Three years ago two rodbuilders built a better spiral wound reamer and introduced them at the ICRBE in Charlotte - many builder tinkerers looked at them and decided to build their own and a few purchased them at the show - Ask Mudhole and the Batson vendors if good tools will sell. You would be completely blown away if the numbers were exposed!

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 10:17AM

If I had to sit down and try to design a tool for rodbuilding it would definately not get done. I don't have the time to tinker and play with different designs just to try to save a couple of bucks. If the tool that I need is available I'm buying it from someone.

I appreciate the guys that are into building the better mousetrap and offering it for sale. Lynn, keep on working on these things and you'll find that some rodbuilders will wait in line to buy your new tools.

Lance

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 10:24AM

How about some type of tool that cuts thin slices of eva for inlays accurate to 1/16 of inch or less.
I have developed one that does, but I was told that nobody would be interested in it, So I kept it
for myself. Is there any interest now ?

Bill Marchisella

Posted by: Terry LaValle (---.ips.paulbunyan.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 12:02PM

The Dream Reamers were a start in the right direction now we need one that fits into a drill that doesn't get hot, melt, shred, warp, smoke, and tear. Just in front of the mixing cups with the lines on the inside, this is my biggest pet peave. I hate reaming cork to no end.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 12:18PM

1) A handle assembly clamp based on a trigger clamp instead of rubber tubing.
2) Bench top tool organizer.
3) A better burnishing tool.

Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 12:20PM

I need the ability to make "molds" for handles. I normally only use 4-5 different handle designs (all eva foam) and It sure would be nice to be able to create my own mold that shapes the eva for me. Kind of like a mechanical mold, with sandpaper slots so you can change the grits out. This would save time and mess, if they had a box on the bottom to catch all shavings, or a shop vac hookup..... Oh boy I would REALLY love to have this machine.....

If thats too difficult, I agree with the guide foot grinder, I use a small hand file and could never get mine down like some of the pros here, and especially on the micro's. I cant tell you how sore my left forefinger is from filling through my fingernail trying to hold these guides...

-Mike

Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 12:24PM

Oh yeah, I would also love a better way to straighten guides, I hate constantly second guessing myself if the rod is twisted 1mm to the right or left you can never make yourself agree on what is straight.....Drives me batty sometimes...

-Mike

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 12:43PM

I would like to see a rehostate that runs in reverse as well as forward, this way if you have to unwind a fair amoung of thread, (stupid mistake) you dont have to try and get the starting point to unwind it, plus it would be faster.

Again, another vote for Tom's idea.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 03:58PM

Bill Marchisella,

I think that many would be very interested in your device, especially if it would slice thin pieces of cork also! I know that I would

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 04:19PM

I would like to see some sort of a clamp that would securely hold a rod blank without damaging it. Not sure I can explain it fully. But I hate when I try to set up a casting rod and have the reel on the rod. The blank keeps flipping over. Or when I have tried to dismantle a grip or handle and need to securely hold the rod somehow but I know a vise will break the blank. There must be some way to securely but gently clamp a rod blank in a single position.

Build it and they will buy it. I sure will!

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 05:32PM

Sorry, Mike,it only cuts eva. I wish it did cut cork. I have adapted it to my Renzetti
and it cuts very well.

Bill Marchisella

Posted by: Jan Veenema (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 05:34PM

Thanks Don!! I'm gonna give them spring-clips a try

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 05:39PM

Mike-cork can be cut in very thin slices on a turning mandrel with a piece of stainless leader wire-duplicating slice thickness I have not worked on. Plastic over leader wire has to be removed of course. Twist in wire makes very neat cut. EVA cuts the same way just as well.

Chris.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster