I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf rod
Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 09:42PM

Looking for people's preferences for surf rods 11ft to 12 and a half feet for throwing 8-10 ounces plus bait. Set-up would be conventional style and I am 6 ft 1 inch 230 pounds, young, and already throw a 1502 rainshadow set up spinning style. Looking to get a little more distance than this rod gives me. Would a conventional set up on this blank give me more distance??? What are your preferences are there store bought rods out there capable of this such as the Tica 6-12 ouncers??

Thanks,

Dan Grulke

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf rod
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 26, 2008 10:05PM

Lami GSB-136 MH or 2MH are pretty nice. An ATC or Shakari SU-1105-2 are good blanks but are 2 pc which I have no problem with. I think for long heavers that if you can find them an All Star Super Surf BHSS-1508-2 are very accurate on lure rating. I'd have to look thru my catalogs to see what else is out there.
The best heavy rod I have and use is an old Diawa S-glass that I rebuilt, It's light, strong, loads great and has a great action. These can be found used once in a while.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2008 05:38AM

@#$%& might have a allstar 1509 or know where to find one

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2008 06:41AM

CTS - Surf 8-12 oz. 13' . If you want something light weight , easy loading , good distance , this is it . Ck some of the fishing boards to see what they have to say about it .

Robert

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: October 27, 2008 10:21AM

Dan Grulke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
What are your preferences are there store bought rods out there capable of this such as the Tica 6-12 ouncers??

My two cents: no. I think that for a true heaver, you have to get a custom. There might be one out there, but I've never seen a factory rod with enough beef to throw 8-12 oz. of lead plus a big hunk of bait like a bunker head.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.79.236.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 27, 2008 12:05PM

Try looking at Fishstix. I just saw a 2 pc 60/40 rated for 6 - 16 oz. Wheels reels surf blank - the nail. On there surf page.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: October 27, 2008 01:39PM

Chris Garrity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dan Grulke Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> What are your preferences are there store bought
> rods out there capable of this such as the Tica
> 6-12 ouncers??
>
>
> My two cents: no. I think that for a true heaver,
> you have to get a custom. There might be one out
> there, but I've never seen a factory rod with
> enough beef to throw 8-12 oz. of lead plus a big
> hunk of bait like a bunker head.

I believe that Nitro has a model that would meet the requirements.

However my best recommendation would be a Lamiglas that was previously posted on this board.
Since the posting, I have come by one and built it. I find it t be an exceptional rod. Like many rods/blanks by several companies, I believe the lure rating to be overstated.

Here's the previous thread:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: James Reed (---.org)
Date: October 27, 2008 03:46PM

I personally like the rainshadow SU1569 or SU1509 rods. I havn't seen or tried the new versions of those blanks yet (suR1569) so you might want to check out with someone who has used them.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 27, 2008 05:43PM

SUR-1569 could that be an All Star blank?? Rainshadow/Batson did buy All Stars mandrals...no?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2008 07:20PM

No, I don't think so - those are either still in Texas or have been shipped to China. As far as I know.

Posted by: Alan Collier (12.191.226.---)
Date: October 29, 2008 04:26PM

I am an avid Hatteras Cape Point fisherman,but am much smaller than you,5 8 180 wet. The Lamiglas 1502 with 3 inches clipped from the tip (12ft)is my go to stick,I threw ten and bait with all night thursday (and I was a beat pup by daybreak,ten will do that to you) I also own and love my Rainshadow 1569 (13ft) both are great sticks and very easy to load.

I owned a Wheels reels Fusion and i still have one of there Nitro's both are great sticks also but heavy in weight and seem to me to be tip heavy,they are a totaly different animal to throw,made from carbon fiber and in casting only about the top eighteen inches bend.For my casting style,age and size this is way too much stick for me,it might work for you I know alot of people who love them and even use there heavier rods, the Nail and another that I can't name right now,check wheelsreels.com for more info clydescustomrods.com

The tica is a wimpy no back bone stick and maxs out at about seven,the components on it are total junk

If you want some opinions check out the forums on reddrumtackle.com or fishmilitia.com go to drumdums war room,hard core drum fisherman hang out there,you will get better info on fish militia but both are good.There are a few other drum sticks out there but I am getting long winded.

If you are near Carlisle Pa I have a Nitro I can let you try and possible buy if you like it

AL

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2008 06:47PM

Batson Enterprises (RAIN SHADOW) SUR1508F (4-12 oz) at 12'6" (even 50/50 split) is a very, very nice blank. It loads well (deeper into the tip section than other "heavers"). My only recommendation would be that you still reinforce the ferrule (over wind with thread for 3" up the tip) then cover with heat shrink tubing. This will allow you to seat and remove the tip section easier when your hands are cold/wet (and hopefully full of fish slime).

Date: October 30, 2008 09:34AM

If you like the 1508 and can get your hands on the 1569 to try,do so it is most awesome

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2008 11:02PM

Alan
I haven't seen/held the 1569 but from the catalog it reads like more than I would use up here (Maryland, Delaware, Virginia). At 6-16oz it reads like (and say "reads like" because I haven't had one to flex) it would be a little too stiff and non-responsive for most of the fishing conditions in my area. While we do get a decent shot at some hefty striped bass we also have a long season when the fish are smaller / hit lighter. Add to that that most of my local customers want a rod that they can use for croaker or spot in the Chesapeake Bay as well as ocean fishing and the 4-12oz blank just has more applications. It fills a "slot" here between the 1385F and the 1264/1266 blanks that I also fashion into light Bay-bank rods. Having written all that I certainly do understand how the 1569F has a spot on the Outer Banks where the water is rougher (and the fishermen "thicker" on the beach). A new customer of mine is fishing Hatteras this week with a 1569F and a (discontinued) 1507& I'm waiting for a report from him when he returns next week.

Ken

Date: October 31, 2008 07:33PM

Ken
I totaly agree with you that the 1569 is way more rod than what you need for the Delmarva surf scene.My point is how nice it is to fish with,its alot like being able to 8 to 10oz with a 1507 I think it might be a bit lighter,don't hold me to that.I feel it loads alot like my Lami 1502 with that extra foot on it for just a little more umph and it also helps with the bigger water you tend to see on Hatteras.It is also suprisingly senscitive,but no not a good spot/croaker rod.I have a 1509 (rainshadow) that feels like a telephone pole comapred to it.

AL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster