I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

do it your self mini lathe
Posted by: Robert Johnston (208.51.50.---)
Date: October 26, 2008 09:37PM

I just bought a motor on @#$%& it is 1/2 hp variable speed reversable to build a little lathe for turning cork handles. What I need to know is where can I find accessories for it chucks on both ends,rod or mandrels,inletting tool for cut outs, ect. Don't want to spend a lot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: do it your self mini lathe
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2008 02:17AM

Robert,
If your motor has no threads on it, but is simply a simple keyed or unkeyed shaft, you are probably better to use this motor with a pulley and belt system to drive a chuck system.

On the other hand, if your motor is threaded on one or both ends of the motor, then you can obtain various types of chucks to screw directly onto the end of the motor.

The key thing about a "good" lathe is "chuck runout. i.e. If you put a dead straight 6 foot rod in the chuck, you would like to see essentially 0 run out - or wobble on the end of the rod as the lathe turns.

The problem about using various types of slip on, or clamp on manderals that fit on the end of a plain shafted motor is that it is difficult to get a low runout chuck.

The best way to go is to obtain a lathe head stock, or a set of properly aligned ball bearings and mount a dead straight shaft in the bearing or head stock. Then, use a pulley and belt from the variable speed motor to drive the shaft.

The ideal thing is to have a "genuine" lathe shaft that has a tapered fit on the end of the shaft to seat the chuck. Generally speaking, the tapered head stock shafts of good lathes will give a much better lower runout than any type of clamp on shaft or even threaded shaft.

One thing in your post. "I don't want to spend a lot!"
In this department, it is often much easier said than done. i.e. To get really excellent running chucks - you normally have to spend a bit more.
I recall that a few years ago, I purchased a decent quality commercial lathe. However, by the time that I finished getting all of the accessories that I wanted to do the jobs that I wanted to do on the lathe - I had nearly tripled the original price of the lathe.

However, if you buy these accessories over time, the cost is rationed out over time.

As you pointed out, your same source as you picked up your motor is a good starting point for the things that you are looking. Other than that, you can start with doing a good internet search with a good search engine to get a good idea for price and availability.

Many times, I think that you might be actually futher ahead and spend less total money if you pick up a relatively inexpensive commercial lathe that comes with a decent selection of accessories.
You con go to some of the big box home equipment supply houses and pick up adequate wood lathes for prices running from $99 on up to several thousand dollars - depending on features and accessories.

Things that are under consideration are things like lathe beds, tool rests, tail pieces etc.

For a home made lathe, one of the more difficult things to fabricate is either a lathe bed and tail piece. it is difficult, simply from the standpoint of getting things true, straight, and appropriate machining tolerances.

Again, you can do some searches, and get a decent sized "midi" lathe with an extension bed so that you can do work out to about 40 inches for prices under $500. If you search some of the local used tool shops, you may find lathes of this type for $100-$200.

Another good option is to find a decent used lathe with no motor. Then, simply take your motor and mount it on the lathe and you will be good to go.

Take care
Roger

Date: October 27, 2008 02:23AM

Sir:
Here is an example of a nice 36 inch industrial lathe with no motor that would work very well with your motor:

[windsor.kijiji.ca]

This is just one of many examples that you can find by searching the internet and looking for used equipment.

@#$%& sites, Craigs list, used machinery in local papers, surplus stores, etc.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: October 27, 2008 09:22AM

If you are going to be a serious builder you might as well just pick up a good one. Try a search on this site on mini lathes.

Date: October 27, 2008 05:53PM

I really 2nd Bills comments on simply purchasing a good lathe, with accessories and don't look back.

Unless you really have the desire to build a lathe, you will often be money and many times time ahead by simply going out and getting a nice commercial lathe with its accessories.

So often, when doing a home built lathe - unless you have access to other machining equipment, you end up with a tool that really doesn't make you happy, doesn't run true, and you have still spent a lot of time building.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
Don't ask me how I know this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: October 27, 2008 06:51PM

Been there done that - hay Roger. I hate to say though, the home made one I built using a drill that the speed can be locked in, and mandrills made from ( 2 ) sections of rod tubing , one glued into the other for stiffness, works very well. On cork. Tried it once on wood but I think I had the speed too slow. May try it again ?? Don't look like much: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster