I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need advice, bent tip
Posted by: Tom Juster (---.cas.usf.edu)
Date: November 05, 2002 04:24PM

I got a great deal on a 4-pc/5-wt fly rod blem which appears perfect except for a substantial kink about 2" from the tip. Unfortunately, the bend is not in the same direction as the spine (nor 180-degrees from it). Otherwise, the rod is pretty darn straight. Should I:

(a) ignore it and build the rod normally, aligning the guides to the spine?
(b) place the guides in line with the bend, and ignore the spine on the tip section?
(c) Cut off the uppermost 2" and buid the rod normally?

I figure (c) is a no-no, but I though I'd throw it out there anyway. Any/all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need advice, bent tip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: November 05, 2002 04:37PM

You're probably better off aligning with the spine and moving ahead. The spine may have more effect than the crook does.

I know you didn't ask, but the "blem" part of your blank may be that crooked area. There is usually a price to pay for getting a great deal. You might be better off with a first quality blank in one of the more economically priced blank series.

Again, don't mean to give answers or advice you didn't ask for, but it might help the next fellow down the road.

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: November 05, 2002 05:12PM

Tom,

Blems are just what they are advertised to be. They all have a defect that made them a blem and as such unsellable as a quality blank. I believe their best use is as a teaching tool. They are great for beginners to learn on at a reasonable price, in case of mistakes. My point being that you really can't be disappointed in a blem. I have built on them also when I was starting out. Truth is, I still have a couple of them. I think you'll find, that if you go ahead a build it the proper way, you'll find that once the guides are on it you'll have a hard time seeing the crooks. I built a Lamiglas blem once that had an "S" curve near the tip. After the guides were installed, you couldn't tell it from a standard rod. I have fished it for a couple of years and it fishes fine. My thinking was if it was this good as a blem, imagine how good it would fish as a first rate blank.

Ray Alston

Posted by: Rick Koontz (---.lubrizol.com)
Date: November 05, 2002 06:08PM

Tom,

It may not really matter if you choose A or B. Many people align guides with or against the spine. Some align with the straightest axis. Both methods work. Personally I use the spine for my guides. But, my dad built rods for years on the straightest axis and he's never had a problem.

as said above, blems are what you make of them. A friend and local shop owner goes to the big show in eastern PA/harrisburgh every year. About 3 years ago he came back with some loomis and lamiglas blems. I bought 2 8'6" loomis blems and 2 7' lami blems. The fly rod blanks (8'6") turned out to be GL4 blems (we figured it out by process of elimination) and make incredible rods. To date it is my best casting 6 wt. I ordered 2 lami blems from Mudhole about a year ago. One was an 8' 5 wt 3 pc fiberglass blank. The other was a 6'6" light casting blank. Both are phenomenal rods. The blem for both was a problem with the finish. The fiberglas was discolored and the casting rod was scratched around the butt. All told they are some of the best casting rods I've ever had. So, blems are what you make of them. Just check to find the blemish, if you can, before you build it.

Rick Koontz
rkoontz@andrew.cmu.edu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster