I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pacific Bay/American-Rainshadow
Posted by: Darrin heim (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 05, 2002 04:35PM

In response to some recent posts regarding component/blank suppliers, I feel compelled to speak in Pacific Bay's behalf.

Having been an employee of this fine Company for over 10 years, and working in the fishing industry in custom rod assembly and rod manufacturing for another 10, gives me over 20 years of observation. Although my career is limited to the fishing industry, I feel I have learned a few things along the way that enables me to see things differently than others. I will take this opportunity to explain my view of Pacific Bay International.

For over two decades Pacific Bay has put more Americans to work by providing U.S. Manufacturers, Custom Rod Builders, Catalog Businesses, and Tackle Stores with quality components, blanks, competitive pricing, and service that allows them to compete worldwide.

We are a group of individuals (U.S. Citizens) that are dedicated to servicing our U.S. fishing industry. We pride ourselves in being a part of a group of companies that help make the United States the primary target of the global fishing industry. The U.S. drives the need for new trends, techniques, and technology that benefits everyone. We work very hard to provide these benefits to the U.S. fishing industry.

Our product line has evolved through our customer's interests. Rod builders, manufacturers included, dictate what products we sell. To date, we provide 3 series of blanks made in the U.S.A. and 2 series imported from Asia, all of which carry a lifetime warranty. The materials and manufacturing of our components originates in Taiwan, China, Portugal, Japan, as well as the United States of America. This diversity of countries allows us to provide the best of what is requested by our customer base.

Pacific Bay as a company has enjoyed tremendous success for many years and we like to think that we have contributed to the success of not only rod manufacturers and sportsmen, but the many hardworking Americans in our fishing industry.

I thank you for your time spent reading this.

Darrin Heim
Sales Manager
Pacific Bay International

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pacific Bay/American-Rainshadow
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: November 05, 2002 04:46PM

Obviously this is a heated subject for many and I would prefer that it not explode here - the purpose of this board is otherwise.

I do recognize that keeping the U.S. economy strong and our people employed is not so simple as just "buying American". The reality is that we are all involved in a global market and old fashioned isolationism doesn't work as well nor in the way many people think it does. I'd be the first one to lecture people on why losing our manufacturing base could be bad for the U.S., but as I said, it's just not that simple.

Companies such as Pac Bay, even though they sell some products made overseas, do in fact, keep Americans working and contribute to the domestic economy. I thank Darrin for his input here and hope that any replies can be kept reasonable and civil. Thank you.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: November 05, 2002 05:33PM

Over the years past, my wife and I (especially, my wife) have built many beautiful rods from PacBay. I have found their rods to be both of good quality and good response. I have used their components in the past when auitable and will continue to do so.
I've almost given up trying to just "buy American", only because the preference just "ain't that easy anymore"
I wish the best to any company like PacBay competing in the global market.
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: David Opsahl (---.z064002011.sjc-ca.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: November 05, 2002 06:04PM

Darrin,

Thanks very much for your post.

I hope my comments haven't caused you to believe that I feel Pac Bay is anything less than the finest of companies to deal with - quite the contrary. I am and have been a loyal customer of Pac Bay and its products for some time. PacBay stands to gain more of my business, not less, because of the availability of domestically produced products.

There seems to be a belief that a preference for domestically produced products automatically means that a person with that preference believes that companies who manufacture off-shore, or promotes products which are, is inherently a "bad" company to do business with, or that they don't understand the new global economy.

Not true, at least in my case. I just have the preference, and want to make the decision myself on when to exercise it. To that end, I applaud Pac Bay for recognizing that the consumer has both the right and the desire to know about country of origin, and you have confirmed my faith in the company. Keep up the great work.

Posted by: Ray Alston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 05, 2002 08:50PM

How do you "buy American" anymore? Even if it was "made in America" is was probably done on German tooling, using Taiwanese computers, packed in Chinese packages, and shipped in Swedish trucks. How do you know all the pieces in anything you buy was "made in America"? Those days are all but over. We truly live in a "global economy" now. I view PacBay and similar companies in the same light. If they have a good product, I will buy it. If they don't I will look somewhere else. Apparently PacBay, AmTak, and Batson Ent. must be doing something right. Look at the factory rods in your local stores and tell me which guides you see the most of. (By the way, how many domestic guide makers are there)? What choices would we have as rod builders if we had no imported products. Pickins' would be slim boys.......

Ray Alston

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 06, 2002 07:28PM

I thank you all for your fine comments both posted and verbally via phone. My intention was not necessarily to further discussion of this topic but to show a different view of a company that utilizes many countries for the purpose of benefitting a specific customer base. Many people may not recognize that we exist to service the demands of the industry, not to prey upon it. We are all partners, customers, competitors, and vendors both US and overseas. The common goals are to find financial success while bringing the finest quality goods to the consumers, where ever they live.

Darrin Heim

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2002 09:35PM

Well stated, Darrin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster