I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Choose blank: SigV, BIIx or Helix ?
Posted by: Patrice NEZOU (---.crf.canon.fr)
Date: October 07, 2008 08:49AM

Hi all,

For the next fishing year, I would like to build a new rod 9p 5WT.

I have noticed 3 potentials rods for me:
* Dan craft Sig V 9p 5WT 4pc
* Winston Boron IIx 9p 5WT 4pc
* Thomas&Thomas Hélix 9p 5WT 4pc

I would like some more information about these blank: real action ? Could you give me some feedbacks about these blank ?

PS: I am french . Sorry for my bad english :)

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Patrice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choose blank: SigV, BIIx or Helix ?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 09:27PM

The Dan Craft in my opinion is a great blank for the money with a medium fast, easy to live with fishability. If your looking for a power house blank this is not it, just a nice 5 wt.
The T & T Helix to my way of thinking has to stiff a tip and only works with a 6 wt in close or mid distances, even than it's not a very accurate fishing tool.
The Winston sells bigtime as a finished rod, but I'm no fan of the too fast and to soft tip transistioning into a very stiff butt where the boron is. I have a real problem transitioning from short to longer casts without looking for a line change and even than I have accuracy problems, definitely a close in only rod in my hands.

Posted by: Patrice NEZOU (---.crf.canon.fr)
Date: October 08, 2008 02:53AM

Thanks for your comments and your feedback.
I fish on not so big rivers. I am not looking for a power blank for casting but only a blank to fish on a middle river ( ~ 20 m ). I don't like pure fast action. So perhaps the T&T Hélix 4wt will be more convenient for me. Concerning the BIIx, I know its action is particular. But I am interested by its soft action with the great power of a fast action blank.
Any other feedbacks ?

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 07:51PM

Patrice, I'd go with the Dan Craft Sig V. I built a 6wt off one of these blanks and they are a sweet meduim fast action blank. I think the 5wt in this series would work just fine. If money is a concern the Batson RX-7 is a decent blank. I've built a couple of 5wt's in the 9 foot length and they work pretty well. I fish one of them quite often. I'll use a 6wt line for close in work, like nymphing and tossing a streamer and then switch to a 5wt wf for dry fly work. With the decent pricing on the Dan Craft and Batson blanks you can still afford to put quality components on the rod without cleaning out your wallet and have a rod that will work just as well as the $600 dollar rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster