I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wave form of cast line
Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 07, 2008 07:27AM

For those interested in following the references in previous posts to the wave form of cast line from spinning / threadline reels ...............you might like to view the image at :-
[www.rodbuilding.org]
It can be found in miscellaneous photos section titled ' cast line waveform'.

This turned up in this months edition of Modern Fishing ( Australia ) in Ian Millar's column on rodbuilding
I have scanned it and posted it for technical reference only.

Regretfully the ultra highspeed images of 30 years ago I was referring to in my earlier posts deteriorated long ago so I was unable to provide them in those discussions.
This image in the Magazine was a timely find & I am sure Ian & the Magazine editor would not mind sharing the image for technical reference amongst fellow rodbuilders.

DenisB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 07:33AM by Denis Brown.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wave form of cast line
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2008 08:12AM

In interesting note - the rods from 30 years ago were much heavier and didn't damp in the almost immediate fashion they do now. A few years back Gary Loomis and I were discussing the wave form in a fly line from a photo. I noticed the clothes the angler was wearing and the color of the rod and we agreed that it was a photo made in the 1960's of an angler casting a fiberglass fly rod.

Date: October 07, 2008 09:42AM

Tom

Yes peripheral information like that is often useful to assist dating photos.

Did you note the increased amplitude of the waveform as it sort of dams in front of the stripper.
I have no idea where this photo came from in Ian's column

DenisB

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2008 09:48AM

Of particular interest to me is the fact that the guide set up there is pretty much a New Guide Concept System. Note that after making it past the first 2 or 3 guides, the line is on a straight path.

One of the first objections that many have with the NGC is the mistaken assumption that the quick reduction in ring size and the resulting small running guides will "choke" the line flow.

Date: October 07, 2008 07:32PM

Absolutely Tom
There is 'daming' at the stripper and 'taming' of the wave form after the next couple of guides ..............its a great image of what we were discussing on the Board over a few topics on rod dynamics .
the point of my discussions on rod dynamics and the interaction of effects and 'compromises' in the package of components that results in optimisations of outcomes, be it longer casts, improved sensitivity of bite detection or the balance of those characteristics that the individual fisher desires. Understanding the effects changes in individual components make on the total dynamic of the package is the harder bit & where we are currently at in trying to understand at the individual rodbuilder level................... because its the effect on the dynamic of the total package that CUSTOM rodbuilding is all about.............. beyond the aesthetics of the colour scheme in the wrapping.
Modifying the wave form of the line is just one aspect ..............the resultant component changes you can make, as a result , affect other dynamics that are so much more beneficial in the package................. but its a balancing act.............. you can go too far optimising one aspect and result in a poorer performing package in other aspects.
We are all still learning.as we go.
DenisB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster