I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Floating Rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 06, 2008 07:24AM

Right, but I'd bet that most rods are lost overboard due to carelesness or accident. Fishermen are generally paying attention once a fish is on the line. Not always, of course, some get yanked from rod holders, but I think most slip or get dropped from careless handling. If custom builders could offer such a thing to their customers, that'd be one more selling point for them to use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 06, 2008 10:38AM

Guys , this thread is really sparking my interest. I remember a little toy we used to get , I think , in a cereal box. It was a little plastic frog man. You put Backing Soda somewhere inside this little man, maybe inside his scuba tank ,stick him under water and the gas pressure would allow him to swim for a couple of feet. Backing Soda might be a good propellant for pushing the little flotation device out of it's holder .

Posted by: Jan Veenema (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2008 12:01PM

5ft lanyard attached to the reelseat in my kayak and 12' lanyard while working the pit....(maybe I'm too logical but it has worked for 20+yrs)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 06, 2008 01:35PM

A lanyard/tehter will certain work, but many fishermen don't want to be tethered to their rods nor have to deal with tethers attached to rod holders.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2008 02:24PM

Perhaps something along the lines of a ferrule tool with 2' test tether coiled up inside. Pop it onto the blank, within a split grip maybe, with a piece of water soluable tape to secure it from simply falling off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2008 02:57PM by James Hicks.

Posted by: Scott Donley (---.propel.com)
Date: September 07, 2008 01:18AM

Jay Hunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guys , this thread is really sparking my interest.
> I remember a little toy we used to get , I think ,
> in a cereal box. It was a little plastic frog man.
> You put Backing Soda somewhere inside this little
> man, maybe inside his scuba tank ,stick him under
> water and the gas pressure would allow him to swim
> for a couple of feet. Backing Soda might be a good
> propellant for pushing the little flotation device
> out of it's holder .

I dont think baking soda will react with water to make a gas to pressurise a vessel. I tried wetting some in a cup no bubbles just wet soda.But i do remember a submarine toy that you put a pellet of something in.It would sink,then when it built up enough gas to displace the weight of the sub it would surface,emty the gas,fill with water then sink again then the cycle would repeat.

Date: September 07, 2008 02:45AM

Baking soda and vinegar makes carbon dioxide gas.

Date: September 07, 2008 03:54AM

The "Waterbuoy" is a compact keychain that, upon submersion in water, coughs up a plastic orange balloon capable of keeping up to 1 kilogram at the surface for up to a day. An LED flasher makes the Waterbuoy visible even at night...

[gadgets.boingboing.net]

The Key Buoy by Davis Instruments. The Key Buoy uses a self-inflating tube to float keys and other small items to the surface, reversing the disasterous consequences of sailors' clumsiness.

[sailingworld.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2008 03:58AM by James Hicks.

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 06:34PM

I found the Key Buoy at Cabelas - look here... [www.cabelas.com]
It would likely float a rod with the additional flotation of the air that would be trapped in the blank and a cork handle - it would be bulky but a ring at the end of the butt would hold it - at 6.99 one could afford to have a few on hand to replace it - not sure how much bother it would be when placed at the end of the rod though... I guess a person would have to weigh that out when setting it all up. It wouldn't take much to run an attachment out the end of a butt cap though... a little epoxy inside to seal the hole and maintain the air in the blank and it should work. Keep in mind it would only need to float it enough to allow the angler to spot and recover the rod - heavy waves and current would certainly complicate matters.

Of course one could buy a few of these types of trinkets for general ideas and then develop your own.
Chuck Ungs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2008 06:36PM by Chuck Ungs.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster