I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

standard minimum custom rod cost
Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: September 05, 2008 09:08AM

In speaking with a fellow custom rod builder he told me that he has a minimum selling price for his rods. Is there a standard minimum price for custom rods?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: standard minimum custom rod cost
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2008 09:12AM

No, there isn't. But you need to decide why you're selling rods and what you need to make in order to make such sales worth it to you.

Frankly, I cannot imagine selling a rod to a member of the fishing public where I didn't make a bare minimum of $100 over and above my cost in parts, supplies, etc.

Now if you're just wanting to build for family and friends, or to make a few spare dollars to pay for your own boat gas, tackle, etc., then this may be different for you. It's just something each builder has to decide for themselves.

Obviously, the quality of your work and the demand for it in you area will have a lot to do with how much you can charge.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 05, 2008 10:27AM

I'm with Tom. I do this as a hobby and because I enjoy it, but I want to make at least $100 for every rod I sell to someone other than family or close friends. I've got some inexpensive rods that I sell for $150, but most of my rods go for $250-$300.

Date: September 05, 2008 11:00AM

Most of the rods that I have done so far have been for family and freinds, I just thought since this industry seems to be pretty tight knit that maybe as rod builders we would set a minimum so that we are not under selling each other. I've built rods for myself and freinds for the past few years, I really enjoy doing it and I love the reaction I get from others when they see one of my rods. This board has been a big help, along with Rod Maker Magazine, I feel that in the past few months the quality of my crafstmanship has increased dramaticly. Because of this I am getting more and more requests from people to build them rods. I truely love the craft and wouldn't mind making some money doing it.

I'd like to thank Tom and all the members of this board, we have a good thing going here.

Thankyou

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 05, 2008 11:14AM

Steve,

I don't think that would work for several reasons! There is a wide difference in rods from builder to builder. You also have to take into consideration location. A custom builder in a small midwestern town more than likely would not have the same clientele/market for fly rods as a builder in, say Colorado or Montana. There are totally different markets out there and different levels of skill/experience of the builders that determine price.. Few builders (myself included) would welcome the idea of ANYONE telling them what to charge for their work. Also, like Tom pointed out, some are trying to make a living from this while others are hoping to pay for their own addiction LOL!! Than you have to consider that some builders are paying wholesale price for components and others are paying retail.

And just who would decide the price. Like any craft, the builder should be the only person to set a value on their work. Generally, the market will determine the value!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: September 05, 2008 03:18PM

Mike,

I wasn't suggesting that as a group we set a standard price, I was simply asking if there was such a thing between rod builders.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: September 05, 2008 04:04PM

Steve,

"Price fixing is an agreement between business competitors to sell the same product or service at the same price."

"In the United States, price fixing can be prosecuted as a criminal felony offense under section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act. [1] In Canada, it is an indictable criminal offence under section 45 of the Competition Act. Bid rigging is considered a form of price fixing and is illegal in both the United States (s.1 Sherman Act) and Canada (s.47 Competition Act)."

Source: [en.wikipedia.org]

I would imagine if pushed, even agreeing on a minimum price would fall under this, regardless of the "surcharge" imposed by each individual builder. I'm not an attorney, but sounds like that would fit into this category.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 05, 2008 04:46PM

Steve,

I wasn't implying anything and I hope you didn't take it wrong, I was just giving my thoughts on why something like "minimums" or "agreements between builders couldn't work.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 05:15PM

Mike,

No problem, I see your point.

Thankyou

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.12.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 08:21PM

I am not a big-time builder; just do it as a sideline to my regular job. But, I do sell about 50-60 rods a year. I don't have much trouble at all getting $100 over the wholesale cost of materials. Unless the rod is for a good friend, or a co-worker, I do try to get at least this much.
When I started out, I was so slow that my hourly earnings were very small. But, the more rods I make, the quicker I get (it's amazing how this happens), and I am up to a fairly decent hourly earning at this point.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: September 05, 2008 10:22PM

Steve Broadwell-I'm where you were. I'm real slow-I can't think in hourly terms. I know I'm getting right though-when I delivered a rod to a friend the other night.....
he said "You didn't make this". I assured him that I did. That was the best. I could see faults in it that all of us would see...but not as many as there were just a short while ago. I shudder when thinking where I might be without the help that's available here. Chris

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 10:25PM

I have mine price out to make $20-30/hour no matter what I am doing.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 06, 2008 01:06AM

Sean... I'm right where you are. Seems reasonable to me.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2008 02:28PM

There are a series of articles on this subject in RodMaker magazine.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster