I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Floating Rod
Posted by: Hal Lambert (74.255.96.---)
Date: September 05, 2008 08:55AM

I have been asked by a guy that fishes from kayaks to make a bass rod that will float if it goes overboard. My first idea wat to use a urethane foam handle. The ones that I have made all utilize the split grip concept ,no foregrip and will not float with a reel on it. My next plan is to try a full rear grip and if necessary a front grip also. The rod needs to float with a curado on it. Besides filling it with helium (ha! ha!) does anyone have any more ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Floating Rod
Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 09:09AM

Somewhere in my travels, I came across a flotation device which attached to the reel handle.

If the rod and reel fell overboard, the flotation device with lanyard, would disengage from the rod handle and float to the water surface, where the rod and reel could be retrieved.

BTW; my Volume 11 Issue 4 of the magazine (with decal)arrived yesterday. Well traveled, but intact. My expiration issue is 12-1, How many issues do I have left? C2

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2008 09:15AM

I've love to have the name of the manufactucter that made that device. I've been looking for a few. I think they represent the best means of getting a rod back if dropped overboard. A handle large enough to float a rod and reel is generally going to be so large that it tends to get in the way of the use of the rod. I like the concept of the small float on fine braided line that dissolves and disengages and floats to the water's surface. It's unobtrusive on the rod when in use.

The next issue of RodMaker will be Volume 11 #5. That leaves 3 more issues on a subscription showing an expiration of Volume 12 #1.

Date: September 05, 2008 09:21AM

Let me look in my archives. I think the thing was activated by Alka-Seltzer tablets which provided the gas to make it float to to the water surface.

My idea would be to attach the flotation device with a water soluble tape which would allow the water to get to the tablets. I'm looking and thinking. C2

Date: September 05, 2008 09:24AM

I've been doing the same - you wouldn't want rain to activate it. I just can't remember how they did it, but I seem to recall it was a small capsule about the size of an ink pen, but perhaps just half as long. The capsule was water soluble after a time and released a small plastic float that was attached to about 50 feet of fine but strong braided line. You waited a couple minutes, then spotted the float and retrieved that, to which your rod was attached on the other end of the tether.

Your rod and reel will have been submerged for a couple minutes, but at least you'd have them back.

Date: September 05, 2008 09:36AM

The thing, as I remember it, fitted right into the butt of the rod. Something was activated by exposure to water and allowed the small float to bob to the surface. I don't think that mere exposure to rain/moisture would activate it. Maybe it wasn't Alka Seltzer tablets?

I'm looking in some old stuff that I have stashed to see if it may still be around. I haven't thought about it for years because I fish from dry sand with a long rod. C2

Posted by: Hal Lambert (74.255.96.---)
Date: September 05, 2008 09:51AM

After seaching the internet I found the "Water Buoy". It looks like it could be used but would need some modification and t is currently not available. Something that woudl fit inside the butt of the rod would be great...I am still looking.

Date: September 05, 2008 09:52AM

The problem with putting it in the butt of the rod is that depending on the attitude of the rod as it lies on the bottom, the float might simply be released further into the butt - the rod would have to reside butt end up, or high, in order for it to release and rise to the water's surface.

I don't recall any tablets or anything - this was simply a short, fat tube that you wrapped to the rod blank ahead of the handle. There was an opening that was covered with a water soluble material and after a couple minutes immersion, a small float was released and rose to the top. You scooped up the float and with the attached line, you hauled your rod and reel back to the surface.

The trouble with anything that is capable of actually floating your rod and reel is that it's going to have be fairly large in size and therefore will tend to be obtrusive on the rod during use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2008 09:59AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Ash Carlton (---.fairchildproducts.com)
Date: September 05, 2008 09:52AM

That's really close to what I've been working on! I need to send you an email soon Tom.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 09:53AM

This isn't what Charlie was talking about and I remember seeing and reading about it, and have seen it and a couple other devises that would work , but try this link and if you want or can do a Google search, (Fishing rod flotation device) you'll find more info than can be posted here.

[boutique.pattapub.com]

Date: September 05, 2008 10:06AM

The Water Buoy is a good idea because it's small and only inflates upon immersion. Then it floats your gear to the top. But it's fairly expensive ($50+), at least if you want one on each rod you carry. Your tackle is still going to be submerged.

I tend to prefer the little float that rises to the surface attached by tether to your rod and reel. If they're still made, I doubt they're more than about $15. Just wish I could find them.

Developing something along either line would be a good project for any custom rod builder that was looking for a sales edge in specialty kayak or small craft rods.

Date: September 05, 2008 10:28AM

Little old Inventor, moi, just made one!

I took a tube that would fit into the rod butt, capped off one end and inserted 2 each Alka Seltzer tablets. In the other end, I inserted a small styrofoam plug(float) with a hole punched through the middle with a piece of braid attached.

I immersed this creation in the sink and the gas pressure pushed the styrofoam flaoat out of the end of the tube where it floated to the surface.where I retreived it.

I did have to put a small paper 'flapper' valve in the hole to prevent the gas from escaping from the hole. Works for me.C2

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 11:12AM

I just did a search on the US government patent web site and there are 15 or so patents or patents pending, for flotation devises for fishing rods, so the idea has been around for a while (1986 ?)by government records for patents.

Date: September 05, 2008 11:16AM

Charlie,

That sounds like a winner!

Date: September 05, 2008 11:35AM

1986? I'm sure that I saw it long before that. It isn't recent, by any means.

I was thinking about where I saw it and I thought maybe an old Herter catalog. It sounded like something that old George Leonard would come up with. I'll keep looking.

I usually get several threatening letters from attorneys threatening to take my house and fishing tackle if I don't 'cease and desist'. It's an excellent way to determine what patents still exist. C2

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: September 05, 2008 12:09PM

Bass Pro Shop

Search words Blakemore Rod Floater-kinda big.....I see your line catching on it. Might be able to play with where you mount it.

Haven't heard anyone mention G. L. Herter in a long time-their catalogs were such a treat to get each year. Everything they sold was the best available-best materials-tested by Indian guides and G. L. and Jaques under the world's most severe conditions. Brings back memories

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2008 12:13PM by Chris Davis.

Date: September 05, 2008 12:27PM

I have the old Herter book (not catalog - book) on custom rod building. Many things are still the same, others are vastly different.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2008 12:31PM

I have lost several rods over board, but the one rod that floated was a flipping stick, which surprised me because it was heavier then any other rod that had ever fallen in.

This was with a cork handle and extendable blank. My only explanation for this is that the blank having a larger diameter trapped enough air that along with the cork proved the buoyancy needed to float.
The reason I bring this up, is that if you chose a blank with a larger butt end you might get the same results.
I recently bought a couple discontinued Alstar blanks from Fish stix 4 you that have a larger butt end. He may still have a few. I can't guarantee that’s what caused it to float, but it’s the only thing I can think of.

Date: September 05, 2008 12:38PM

Selecting blanks in sizes that might better be able to float themselves and a reel won't likely take priority over selecting blanks that perform the required fishing tasks. For that reason I think some type of unobtrusive floatation device can be a selling feature for custom rod builders.

I have been working on something for a few months now - haven't been able to devote the time to it that I would like, but I had given up on locating it within the rod butt. That's a great place to put it, but then you have to have something that will push the float out in the event that the rod lands butt down or at an angle that wouldn't allow the float to simply escape naturally. I have the water soluble material for sealing the capsule on hand, but had decided to mount the thing on the rod blank just ahead of the handle area.

Charlie's idea is a really good one - if a seltzer tablet can be employed to force the small float out of the rod butt, you'd be able to have such a device on the rod without it being noticable or in the way of anything taking place during normal fishing activities.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2008 10:59PM

And then if it went over with a fish attached you may be beat anyway.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster