I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Syncork????????
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 01:24PM

Have anyone built handles using "syncork" that is available from Thorne Brothers in Fridley, MN.

I talked to the chemist who holds the patent on the process. He has apparently came up with a process that is using expanded resin plastic to make foam rings, that glue like cork, machine like cork, and are about 10% lighter than typical cork.
Of course, since it is man made and injected into molds for manufacture, there are 0 voids in the rings.

They have experimented with a few different colors, buy mainly only have black currently available.

They found in their testing a couple of years ago, that the black color held up best to the use and hard work of the hard core fisherman. i.e. black doesn't show any grime from prolonged use.

Further information can be obtained from Thorne Brothers.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Syncork????????
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2008 01:29PM

It would be interesting, but if you could dispense with the rings entirely, and simply make a full grip in one pass, such as we're doing with the urethane foam you could save a lot of time and trouble. Then again, I've not seen them and many might want the "ring" appearance.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: August 28, 2008 02:08PM

I asked about it here...

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: August 28, 2008 03:16PM

I have seen the cork and talked to a person that has turned it. It leaves a rougher texture than cork, it also turns much harder than cork. I know that many musky fisherman will pay a premium for the syncork because it will hold up better in a rod holder than cork and eva for trolling. It is as light as cork, but looks different almost like a burl with a shinny hue. I think Tom is right it would be nice to get it in 1.5" to 2" square blocks and turn it from there, but I think it's only available in rings up to 2".

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: August 28, 2008 06:14PM

That it comes in rings would allow for adding burl or rings of some the other nontraditional type materials like the cork tile discs.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2008 02:02AM

Here is another link from "thorne brothers" with a bit of an advertising blurb for the product as well as a picture of a completed rod in use.

[www.thornebros.com]

REW

Posted by: Keith Terlinden (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: September 08, 2008 09:28AM

I am one of two builders that have been using syncork ever since it came out. I have built fly, walleye, bass, musky and salmon rods using syncork with positive results.

The process of building a rod is the same but you do need special tools to sand and ream it. Syncork is the strongest form of handle material on the market today and the characteristics of syncork remain the same in any kind of weather. Only bad review I have heard is the color but the folks I build for are looking for a better tool rather then something traditional and it is my belief that Syncork makes a fishing rod better. Time will tell if others feel the same.

There are other colors coming in the future. I believe it is only a matter of time before a major rod manufactor catches onto syncork.

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster