I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Rod Building logo
Posted by: Tim Collins (12.171.144.---)
Date: August 23, 2008 09:29AM

I thought the new Rod Building logo that came with my latest RodMaker issue was neat and appropriate. And inside the issue was an ad for the same logo as a license plate. Then I got to thinking how easy it is for anyone to be able to label themself as a custom rod builder - whether they were any good or not. For an electician or plumber to become certified they have to go through an apprentice program to get their journeyman's card - anyone else is just a handyman.

Awhile back I made an aquaintence with an individual online that was only a few miles away that was both a rodbuilder and a seller of rod building components. This past spring I ran into him in person at the Mid West Fly Fishing Expo in Detroit where he had a booth set up to show off his custom rods plus rod building supplies. After exchanging greetings he showed me his signature company rod that was a 7 piece 5wt fly rod. After reviewing this rod, I thought that Ray Charles may have been able to do a better job. The edges of the wrap finishes were uneven and jagged. There was lumps, fuzzies, bubbles, and a very rough looking finish on the wraps. And the worst part was it looked as if his fingers had sticky finish on them when he handled the sections as there were smears and fingerprints all over - and he passes himself off as a custom rod builder.

I would think someone ought to have to pass a test in order to be able to call themself a custom rod builder. This guy made my work look great and I'm still learning! Just my 2 cents worth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Rod Building logo
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2008 10:00AM

You make a very good point and I wish there was such a test, but there is no recognized rod building governing body and even then I don't think you could keep someone from calling him or herself a custom rod builder. It's a craft, not something regulared by government or special body guidelines. Until such a body exists then there will be no criteria one must meet in order to hold such a "journeymans" card.

The new symbol really doesn't change anything here - anybody can display it, rod builder or not. Or, good rod builder or bad rod builder. But this doesn't change anything. The symbol doesn't suddenly allow a hack to proclaim himself a custom rod builder - he was already doing that and the symbol doesn't proclaim that a person has any particular proficiency. It's ust a symbol. You see the little man on the restroom door and you know it's a restroom, but the symbol neither tells nor guarantees you if it's a clean restroom or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2008 10:02AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 23, 2008 10:18AM

While I agree that there may be a LOT of sub standard stuff out there, who would be the person to make that determination?? The ultimate certification comes from the customer. That has been tried before with the end result being that you had to join an organization, submit a piece of work and pay a fee and obtain certification. Basically a fund raiser for them. I also deplore some of the work that I see as I'm sure that some think my work is sub standard. Personally, I think that poor workmanship just makes mine look better. Jouneymen cards are union issued and basically deal with union jobs. Licenses are gov't issued.

You cannot (and should not be able to) make a builder join anything or become "certified" Does an artist have to be certified?, a lnifemaker?, a, custom golf club maker, a luthier, etc?? NO, the ultimate certifier is the customer and that's the way it should be!

I hate to say it, but somewhere along the line, a buyer should should be responsible for their own common sense, If they are at the point where they want a custom fishing rod, they should be familiar enough with what's available off the shelf to be able to recognize quality.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: August 23, 2008 10:37AM

Even in crafts or trades where people are licensed or certified you'll find plenty of them who don't do good work or who are unscrupulous. From the bottom to the top-from painters, plumbers, home builders to doctors and lawyers. Thankfully their lack of skill and ethics are their eventual undoing. Word travels fast.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 23, 2008 10:53AM

Should someone consider preventing the next 100,000 or so that decide to take the plunge to build their first rod from identifying with the craft by proudly displaying the UL on their truck window? I think not - For me it is Welcome Aboard To All! I hope the UL never gets tied to commercial profits or even the Good, The Bad and The Ugly!

Posted by: Ash Carlton (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2008 11:57AM

I think that it's just like the Diver Down symbol, you don't have to be a certified diver to display the symbol. Compared to most of the rods on this forum, some I seen up close, mine are JUNK!! I've only built three rods, but to me I'm proud of them and I don't see anything negative about them. For me each one has flaw(s) that taught me another lesson. I'd never try to sale one.
I do display the CRB symbol with pride and had my Diver Down plate and sticker before I was certified as a diver.

Ash

Posted by: Morris Cross (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 23, 2008 06:50PM

I build rods as a hobby to take myself from the problems of the world I enjoy giving them to friends or family never sold one never will, I have seen the great product members make on this website,I do not compare but everyone that has received one has been real happy. For that pleasure I am happy to call myself a rodbuilder.

Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2008 08:54PM

A good rod is a good rod: casts good, fights good, feels good, looks good, stays together, fun to use. If you can pull that off, and you dig doing it, you're a rodbuilder. If you dig being a rodbuilder a lot, put Mr. Kirkman's really cool sticker on your truck. What's so deep about this?
Tom White

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2008 10:30AM

I couldn't have said it any plainer myself, your words are to the point and it reflects the feeling of most of rodbuilders who do not try to make a profit or living out of this hobby.

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2008 02:02PM

Please don't take this as a shot at you Tim as I enjoy seeing all opinions on here. I have been building rods for about 32 years. God it hurts to say that. I am nowhere near the best rodbuilder that I know personally let alone compared to many on this forum. I sell around 70 rods a year and I believe I put out a decent rod. If a test came into play, by what standard would we make the benchmark? If I didn't make a rod that measured up to the top 20% percent of the builders would I be "certified"? 30%? How do we judge? I would hate to see someone who enjoys building a rod every few weeks and giving them away to friends be told that they aren't a real rodbuilder and can't use a symbol to identify themselves as such. Over the years I have introduced a few people to the craft. Would it be fair to tell them that since they are new, they can't really be in the same group as the rest of us? Some of the people I have taught still just make a rod every once in awhile and a couple are now more proficient than I am. I don't feel like less of a rodbuilder or less of a "belonger" when I compare my work to Billy Vivona's or any number of other builders on this site and elsewhere.

Using the electrician reference, I used to be an electrician. I had to pass tests and be certified as mentioned. The difference is that if someone who doesn't know what they are doing goes in to wire a house, they can perform substandard work and potentially kill someone or cause the house to burn down. As a rodbuilder, if I perform substandard work, the worst that can happen is that I lose future business. Are there what we would consider apprentice rodbuilders? Of course there are. We all were at one point. But I feel that they belong to the craft just as much as I do or anyone else does.

Just my $2 worth (inflation)

Jeff Hunter

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 24, 2008 07:39PM

Quote: Bill Stevens
"Should someone consider preventing the next 100,000 or so that decide to take the plunge to build their first rod from identifying with the craft by proudly displaying the UL on their truck window? I think not - For me it is Welcome Aboard To All! I hope the UL never gets tied to commercial profits or even the Good, The Bad and The Ugly!"

Bill,
I think I missed something. What does UL mean? I will do a ddddddddddduh when you tell me.
Thanks

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 24, 2008 08:23PM

Umiversal Logo????????

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster