I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Q&A on Symbol
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2008 05:13PM

I screwed up on the orientation part,,, kind of put mine on the "angle of the dangle" configuration, with the tips pointing toward a fish decal. To each his own. Its a good thing, looking forward to its reception and hope that all that receive it, will apply it, and display it.....if Billy receives one, hmmmmmm maybe stick it on a cab, subway, bus, train, party boat, or the Staten Island Ferry!!! lol.

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 06:47PM

God Bless ya' Tom for stepping up to the plate. many others as noted dont. im with the boy's, mine will be very proudly displayed on the back window of my truck!!! cheers, Wayne

Posted by: Morris Cross (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 07:22PM

Tom, I still have not received my Magazine. Do you think it is still in the process? Thanks Moris Cross

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 21, 2008 07:29PM

The magazine isn't due until the 28th or so. I'm sure yours will show up shortly. If you don't see it by the first of September, let me know.

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.csp-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 21, 2008 07:55PM

Tom: You are correct in your design with it being simple and usable in a line drawing format. The logo used by another organization is unclear as to whether it is a person smoking a large pipe, building a rifle, or building a fishing rod. Good work. Bob

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2008 08:42PM

Yes I will!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: August 21, 2008 08:48PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
>>
> display it and have fun.

YES I WILL!

Raymond Adams

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 21, 2008 09:03PM

I know the one your talking about. It is a copy of the old Fenwick logo.

Toms is not part of any organization. It is truley universal in nature!!

Posted by: Harold Krause (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 09:24PM

Mr. Kirkman,

You have done an amazing thing. You have uniformed this craft over the years more than anyone else has thus far. And anyone that claims they did…is just riding on your coat tails!

I do appreciate the Q&A on this subject…though knowing your professionalism; I get the feeling that you are trying to justify it against some of the na-sayers without being rude (too many stupid request or questions over a difficult endeavor you accomplished that no one else has done in the first place)!

No need to. You have explained your side several times.

If anyone wants to be a leader and make a difference….go for it, Lord knows Mr. Tom Kirkman has!!!

I have my sticker PROUDLY displayed on the back window of my black Ford Ranger…if you see it, PLEASE honk!

Date: August 21, 2008 10:39PM

Thanks. I was just trying to cover all the bases to keep my email box a bit leaner over the next couple weeks. I tried to cover as many scenarios as I could in the original post here. I'm sure there will be other questions, but hopefully this will cover the bulk of them.

There will be nay sayers, but not many in light of the overall numbers that make up this craft. I'm not overly concerned about it.

Date: August 21, 2008 11:10PM

I'm amazed that this was not thought of sooner or at least discussed.

One of those (ah ha) (DUH!) moments for me!

Tom had the means to get something like this out to the masses quickly and therefore it should take off quickly. Especially with the help from our suppliers. However, the idea itself cost nothing and even if someone else thought of it and just created one and posted it on the net and emailed it around to others I think it still would have worked. Albeit not as fast or as strong. This is a great idea for bringing ALL rod builders together regardless of any other affiliations and anyone who cannot see that, well, is just blind IMHO.

We must consider the BIG picture if our craft is to continue to grow beyond what it is now. Talk is cheap!
My means are meager but this has got my brain matter bubbling for sure.

Thanks for the awakening Tom.

Raymond Adams

Date: August 21, 2008 11:28PM

Raymond,

I'll have to beg to differ just a bit - Simply posting artwork on the net wouldn't have put an actual vinyl decal into the hands of 20,000 custom rod builders.

I could have tried that (would have been a lot cheaper on me) - just put up the artwork in downloadable file format on the internet and I can just about guarantee you it would have gone next to nowhere. It took putting a tangible product into the hands of the rod building masses for it to have any chance.

That's why ideas rarely take off, even good ones - unless you put the funding behind them to actually provide a tangible product or item, it dies a pretty quick death or simply fades weakly away.

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 11:34PM

Ideas are indeed cheap! That's the trouble with them. Everybody has one and few are willing to get behind them and do what is needed to make them work. That takes money. Also, how many rod builders does the internet REALLY reach? All the events that are marketed to rod builders on the internet rarely draw more than a few dozen people. Tom goes through Rodmaker and direct mail and gets thousands to attend his. No, I think you would have had to do a lot more than just hoist something up on the internet to get it widely accepted and in use around the world.

Tom was and is the ideal person to do it. He puts his money where his mouth is and has often been known to come up with more than a few good ideas from time to time. THIS was a great one! Good on 'ya Tom!!!

Date: August 22, 2008 12:25AM

Ed,
I certainly wasn't saying that Tom was foolish and a simple internet posting would have done the job.
I agree whole heartedly about "putting your money where your mouth is" and the power of a printed decal
going out to so many can't be understated. Like someone once said "build it and they will come".

Maybe I'm a bit naive but a little "hard work" can go along way sometimes too. I would like to think so anyway.

I said "talk is cheap" not ideas. We agree that the problem is someone comes up with a good idea but then is not prepared to do the work or spend the money or both. Another GREAT idea and endeavor is going down the tubes simply because of inadequate funding and lack of motivation.

I guess it's just late as I find it hard to get my point across.

Sorry

Raymond Adams

Date: August 22, 2008 07:29AM

I think I know what you're referring to and yes, it is a shame. But as you pointed out, the folks who develope the ideas must personally believe in them to the extent that they're willing to actually take a risk, usually monetarily, if the thing is ever going to come to fruition.

I really didn't need to develope nor spend my personal money on any sort of universal symbol for custom rod building. I certainly didn't need to spend my money to provide tens of thousands of folks with free decals. This thing doesn't profit me in the least. I neither own nor operate any sort of organization or group (something this is often greatly misunderstood or assumed). I simply saw an opening for something that our craft didn't have and which I thought might benefit the craft overall in a multitude of ways. So I did what was required to get the job done. I hope it will be fun for everybody and that over time our craft will get a boost and greater recognition in the fishing community because of it.

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2008 08:55AM

Tom:

It will be fun to see how many of us are using our new symbol at the High Point event in Feb. next year. I have mine on my truck and have been questioned about it already. So, the only thing I can say is THANKS!!!! Great Idea, great design

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 03:09PM

Anyone who has anything negative to say about this is pushing a questionable agenda of some sort.

It really is a great idea. And to give away the decal portion of it not only to subscribers but to any and all who ask says a good deal about your intentions for it. It's very generous and something that the entire rod buildng hobby will benefit from in the long run. Bravo!

I have already seen one on another vehicle but couldn't catch up to him. Maybe he's seen mine!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2008 03:11PM by Ken Finch.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 22, 2008 05:01PM

Tom, I have'nt received mine yet but, I will be asking for more to be displayed at the shops I service. I for one think its a great idea.The symbol will bring recongnition and respect for the craft. Thank you, Dennis J. Danku(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: joyce (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: August 25, 2008 05:50PM

Tom

I would like to congratulate you on taking the steps on producing a first class international logo for the rod building industry, it is well over due and a great idea.

I would also like to say that it would be good to see a post on something positive stay that way and not turned into a circus. While reading through this post I read time and time again about the people who will rubbish this logo and what Tom has done, but I did not read one post along those lines only the whingers going on about it. I also find it very distasteful that someone should also bring up another forum in such a negative way only to promote the international Logo.

I know this is going to attract some bullying but what I am trying to say is I believe that the logo will do extremely well without anyone having to belittle other forums, people, rod building shows or anything else for that matter.

This is a great addition for the rod building community as a whole, thank you Tom.

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.charlotte-16rh16rt.nc.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 25, 2008 07:00PM

Sandra you have to remember that when this little group harrasses and attacks Tom they are actually harassing and attacking the rod building craft as a whole. I say that because when you look at the bigger picture and count the number of people who attend and enjoy Tom's Expo event, this website, RodMaker Magazine, the RM Public Library Program and all the other things Tom has provided to the craft, you're literally talking about tens of thousands of rod builders. Anything that hurts Tom or diverts his attention from his many tasks in effect hurts each and every rod builder that enjoys or benefits from the things Tom does. It wouldn't matter if I liked Tom or not, if anything is done to him that upsets the Expo, this message board, the magazine, etc., then I am hurt as well. So also hurt is anyone else that enjoys this forum, the Expo, the magazine, etc. When you pull the elephant's tusk you hurt the whole elephant, not just the tusk. In the long run it's not Tom they're after, they're after his Expo, this message board, his magazine and other programs and anyone and everyone that uses and enjoys them. I think this should explain why you see some animosity here towards a few people, but even then Tom's rules and the way he runs this board prevent many of us from really saying here what we'd like to say about them.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster