I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Q&A on Symbol
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 21, 2008 09:09AM

I knew there were going to be many questions concerning this thing just as soon as it started to get out and around. That's happening now - I've been inundated with email and phone questions the past few days. I’ve put a few thoughts down here and hopefully this will answer most of the questions via the forum before they even get asked. A little time spent here now will hopefully spare me a lot of time explaining things later. Those of you who have received one will know what this is all about. Those who are still waiting, well... you'll know soon enough. Here we go...

1. Who gave Tom Kirkman the authority to design and implement an international symbol for custom rod building?

Nobody. I took it upon myself to design, produce and distribute this particular symbol. I didn’t take a vote nor did I seek broad approval from those in the craft. I wanted to get it done, so I just did it.

Keep in mind that anyone reading this could have done the same thing. Anyone of you could have designed a symbol to your liking, coughed up the money to print it and then distributed them to thousands and thousands of custom rod builders, all at no charge. I printed 50,000 decals at a personal cost of $12,500 and then gave them away - you are certainly free to do the same.

So far, I’m the only one who’s taken the initiative and spent the money to get it done. So that’s that. In other words, if you don’t like it, get to work. Spend some money. Get your design out there and in use. That’s what I did. If you’re not willing to do the same, don’t complain.

1A. Why didn’t you take a vote on what builders would prefer for their craft’s symbol?

Not much ever gets accomplished that way - a consensus would never have been reached. Plus, how would you reach enough builders for such a vote to be meaningful? The internet rod building forums reach only a tiny percentage of those who build custom fishing rods. Even RodMaker Magazine, the largest single entity in the entire rod building world, reaches just 15,000 out of 300,000 rod builders. No vote, I just did it.

2. Why choose this particular line art for the symbol?

It had to relate to fishing rods and it needed to be simple, bold and easily recognized and seen. As it turns out, 3 rod tips represent the greatest number of rod types possible. To do the same with line guides, you’d need at least 5 or 6 to represent the same number of rod types.

3. Why is there no text on the symbol?

It’s an international symbol - no single language could have been understood by builders around the world. Because of the intended universal nature, the symbol must stand on its own without text.

4. Shouldn’t you have used more colors other than just black and white?

Could have, even considered it, but decided against it. I was looking at people actually using the decals and once I added any other colors I knew there would be people (wives maybe) that decided that those colors clashed with the color on their car or whatever. Sure, it could have been “prettier” but a simple B&W image will see the most widespread use by far.

5. Fishermen won’t know what this symbol represents.

So what? They don’t need to know. It’s a symbol for custom rod builders, just like the “thin blue line” for law enforcement personnel or the “diver down” symbol for those who participate in diving.

Of course, fishermen will eventually begin to recognize what it represents because every time they see one they’re going to know it must have something to do with fishing and ask the person displaying the symbol what it means. Trust me, word will spread.

6. Is there a proper orientation?

It really doesn’t matter that much, but yes, there is a proper orientation. Look at the very top of the inside circle and you’ll see a very short, thin black line protruding downward from there. This is an alignment mark. It should be positioned vertically.

7. There are some rod builders who won’t recognize it and won’t display it. Some even have bad things to say about it.

I don’t care. The rod building craft is made up of far more than a couple dozen people who want to balk and complain about anything anybody does other than themselves. Those folks can continue to sit on the sidelines, complaining and making their usual snide remarks - what have they ever done for the craft? They don’t represent the mainstream rod building craft. If they disappeared tomorrow it wouldn’t affect our craft in the least.

And granted, there are many builders who simply don’t care and don’t want to display any symbol for anything by anybody. They have no interest in this sort of thing. That’s fine too - you’ll never get everybody to participate so you don’t worry about that sort of thing. You concentrate on those that want something like this.

8. Will it catch on? Will it be accepted as custom rod building’s official symbol?

Whether or not this thing catches on will be up to those who make up the mainstream rod building craft. I made them free for all RodMaker subscribers and will soon make them free for every one else - that’s how you get people to use and ultimately accept something. Make it available at no charge and get it out there and in use by tens of thousands of people. I doubt that many reading this could tell us how the diver down symbol was arrived at or at what specific point it became the official symbol for that sport. Over time, it just happens. But you have to start the ball rolling in the right way for it to happen.

Maybe it will catch on, maybe it won’t. We’ll see. It may take a few months, it may take a few years. But I’m betting it’s going to catch on.

9. What does this symbol have to do with RodMaker Magazine, Rodbuilding.org or the International Custom Rod Building Exposition?

Nothing. It represents the custom rod building craft as a whole and nothing else.

10. Did you copyright the symbol?

We’re in the process. But I plan to give written permission for anyone and everyone to copy it and reproduce it on their business cards, stationary, artwork, thread weaves, etc. I want as many people using it in as many ways related to custom rod building as possible. So, use it. The only reason I want to copyright it is so that someone will be able to stop any sort of “bad” use of it - something that it was not intended for and/or that might be harmful or embarrassing to the craft through that type of use.

The one thing I don’t want to see, and something I’m discussing with my attorneys, is anyone using it for profit. I’m not talking about putting it on your rods or whatnot - go right ahead with that. But I don’t want to see others printing decals and shirts and hats and selling them for a fee. If that is to happen, I’ll do it and try to get that sort of stuff out there at cost. But it’s still too early in the game to go into all that.

In the meantime, put it on your business card, send for more decals and put them on your car or shop, paint it on your house, tattoo it on your forehead. I don’t care. Just don’t use it to market and sell products or goods.

11. You offer license tags with the symbol and text in your magazine for sale.

That’s right - the tags were sort of part of the printing deal and I thought they’d make a nice add on if anyone wanted one. But I can only afford to give away so much. If you want a tag, you’ll have to pay for it. I don’t expect to sell many of them but that’s not a big deal. It’s a condiment, not the meat in the sandwich.

12. Any more surprises?

Yes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Q&A on Symbol
Posted by: Dave Winn (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 10:11AM

Thanks Tom

I'm displaying mine proudly

Dave Winn

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 10:20AM

I can't believe that ANYONE could possibly have ANY objection to. or problem with, what you are trying to accomplish (Oops, I take that back!!!!) While the world is full of talkers and complainers, there are few "doers" The rodbuilding community is very fortunate to have a "doer" of your magnitude!!!!

I, for one, will display it proudly!!!! Thanks, Tom!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Skipp Hughes (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 10:31AM

Thanks for taking the initiative to do it Tom Naysayers can... Well you know Mine will be proudly displayed on my Shop window

One question though Is there anyway to purchase the plate online via CC or is it Check only

Again Thanks

Date: August 21, 2008 10:32AM

Those who are not subscribers and would like one, free of charge, mail an SASE (5x7 envelope required) to:

Rod Building Symbol
PO Box 1322
High Point, NC 27261

Many component supply dealers are also including one with each order they process (how they disseminate them is their own business). When placing an order you might ask if they have any and what you need to do to get one.

The plate is not yet available - I gave the decal priority. For now, the plate is by check. But please wait a couple weeks. I'll see if I can get them up on the website in the meantime. The plate is also a little different - it's more for promotion of rod building and not just a symbol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2008 10:35AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 10:38AM

It never ceases to amaze me how those who sit on their rear and do nothing complain about the results of those who stand up to get things accomplished.
Mr. Kirkman;
Thank you for again sticking your neck out and getting something done for the good of this craft.

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.charlotte-15rh16rt-16rh15rt.nc.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 21, 2008 10:42AM

Those who work against you are in effect working against the entire rod building craft and against all who enjoy all that you do for us. It is a pity.

You might find a few guys who would piddle with designing something but I can't think of a single person or company or organization that would ever actually spend their own money to print and distribute something like this free of charge to anyone interested. Such a thing is almost unheard of these days. You prove your commitment to the craft of rod building by doing something like this.

My decal is already traveling down the road every day. It is proudly displayed in my back window. I've already had two fishermen ask me about it and I was only too happy to fill them in. Word will spread quickly and rod builders will gain new recognition.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 21, 2008 10:46AM

Fully On Board Top Center Display & Proud Of It!

[swamplandtackle.com]

Swamp Boyz think it is good enough promo to give out samples for placement on the dining table!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thanks

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 10:58AM

I recently subscribed to Rod Maker and they told me that it would be 4-6 weeks before I got my 1st issue, I would like to see this international symbol, does anyone have it posted.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 10:59AM

Sorry, I found it

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 11:46AM

Great job Tom. I will start looking for it out here.

Posted by: Ash Carlton (---.fairchildproducts.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 01:21PM

Thanks Tom! I think this is a great idea. I'm sure that people whined and moaned about the Diver Down symbol, the Thin Blue Line, etc. when they were first introduced too.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 21, 2008 01:41PM

About the Diver Down and Universal Symbol recognition. I run a very very busy water way that leads from Venice, Louisiana via the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico - there are five passes. There are all kinds of signs along the way such as No Wake, Caution Pipeline Crossing, Proceed Ahead Slow that boaters seem to fly by with utter disregard. The one sign that is completely and totally honored by ALL is the Diver Down Symbol. Everyone operating a boat on the water recognizes that simple symbol and is aware that a real person could be in danger if care is not taken - everyone pulls back on the throttle and proceeds forward dead ahead slow! The rodbuilding Universal Logo is now a done deal - we are all tied together - it will not take long for the fishermen also to know to seek a builder who displays the Universal Symbol for Rodbuilders.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: August 21, 2008 02:49PM

Tom,
Too bad, it sounds like we have far to many whiners out there! You try to do something good for the craft and people have to complain.
I have mine. It is not on my truck as of yet, as my lease is up in two months so I will wait till I get a new truck and will display it proudly!!!!!!!
I for one thank you for taking on the cost and trying to unite us in spite of ourselves. I`m glad you have broad shoulders and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!!

Billl

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 03:12PM

Bill is right , it will not take long for fishermen to know to seek a builder who displays the Universal Symbol for Rodbuilders.

Tom ; I, like the rest of the guys have said, really appreciate your thoughts and expense that went into doing this for the Rodbuilding community.
Those who complain are probably upset because they couldn't come up with such a unique design that fits all types of rods built by the International Rodbuilding community and at the same time keeping it very simple and very understandable.
I am proudly displaying mine on the rear window of my Ford truck ! I also have had questions asked about it which I can proudly answer.
I do need a couple more for my shop window and bass boat. Also got to get one of the license plates for the front of the Ford.
And Doc Ski will probably have one drawn on his fore head when we meet again at High Point !! Heck, he could put one on top of his head LOL !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2008 03:12PM by Jay Hunt.

Date: August 21, 2008 03:28PM

I think the reflection/glare from the overhead lights might even project it onto the ceiling!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 21, 2008 03:40PM

It is very important that we not make fun of those who are folicuilly challenged. LOL.

Date: August 21, 2008 03:43PM

Who, Me!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Bert Kinghorn (64.38.131.---)
Date: August 21, 2008 04:56PM

In additon to my obvious thanks for taking the initive to design the symbol in the first place, thanks now for starting this thread with your explanations. I had a question about your copyright plans the minute I received my magazine. As usual, you answered my mail before I sent it. Thanks, Tom.

~Bert

Date: August 21, 2008 05:06PM

Okay, yes, a few have and will complain. But as I pointed out, we're only talking about a very, very small group. They don't matter. I'd bet that out of the 14,000+ that will get one in their magazine, most will be happy to have gotten it for free and several thousand will display it right away.

The issue of copyright is touchy - I am going to have it copyrighted and we're working on that right now. But, I do want rod builders to feel free to use it on their business cards, catalogs, their own personaly clothing, rod weaves, etc. I just don't want somebody screen printing them on shirts and hats and selling them. It's not intended for that. Obviously there will be some grey areas which we'll have to deal with as they come up, but I want this to be universal and easily obtained by those who want to use it in the right way.

In the near future, I'll be unveiling a website that allows you to download a nice large jpeg file of the symbol for your own use. In the meantime, if you need one email me and I'll be happy to send you a jpeg file. Or... you can take the one off the photo page (it's the same as what I'd be sending you). What I can't really do right now is email you a good large format tiff file - my dial up connection won't be speedy enough to handle that.

Otherwise, display it and have fun.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster