I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Super Seeker guide selection
Posted by: thad peach (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 16, 2008 08:56AM

Hi guys

Any suggestions for a set of sic guides for a super seeker CJBF70H 7' length. This rod will be used for pitching live baits and casting Wahoo bombs and other wahoo jigs. Also this rod will be matched up with a Avet HX reel and 50 lb line. This rod will be used on a 15 day long range trip next year.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Super Seeker guide selection
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 16, 2008 10:55AM

Just built one in a spiral last month. I used HNSG on it but for a heavy set up you might want to use LRSG. Also the HBSG or BHBNG if you want chrome. All would work fine. These are great rods with great actions one of my favorites.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: August 16, 2008 11:49AM

I woud suggest the American Tackle, Titanium Turbo Boat guides.

Posted by: Joseph Bailleaux (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2008 01:09PM

I would not use anything heavier than HNSG. Pac Bay Aero deep press rings are more rust resistant and would be my 1st choice.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: August 18, 2008 02:12PM

Hi Thad,

Here's my totally biased opinion.

Use the Titan Turbo guides, they are awesome and without a doubt ideal for this type of rod. They are my first choice on all medium to heavy bait and jigsticks. If you want function and durability, they cannot be beat as they are the best guide made.

-Corrosion proof
-Heavy Duty
-65% lighter then stainless steel
-Flexible frame
-Ring-protective frame design
-Nanolite ring instead of SiC

If you make the commitment to invest in a first class blank, reel, and extended-day fishing trip, why stop at your guides?

Good Luck.

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Date: August 18, 2008 07:12PM

Thanks guys looks like American Tackle Titan Turbo guides is the way to go then.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Date: August 18, 2008 09:32PM

I don't have the Avet HX reels in hand does anyone know if I should start with a 20 or 25 turbo guide size? I am trying to order the guides before the reels show up at the end of this month. I have the blanks and wanting to get everything together. I will set up the guides with the reel mounted just would like to have the guides in hand as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Jason Alvarado (---.osis.gov)
Date: August 20, 2008 11:03AM

I have used 25s before and they tend to look a little goofy but thats just me. I would strip with a 20 and move it up a little bit .........but then again your running an HX, the biggest reel I've used is an LX.

Posted by: thad peach (66.129.100.---)
Date: August 20, 2008 11:57AM

that is what I was thinking that it would look to far out of place.

Thanks

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: August 20, 2008 04:52PM

Hi Thad,

Thank you for going with the Titan Turbos I know you'll like them.

I would say definitely don't go with the 25mm for this rod it's too big and unnecessary. In fact, you might not even need a 20mm depending on the deflection of the blank in the handle area and the O.D. of the grip as obviously you don't want it to touch. I have been going with 16's on many of the rods I use them on, if possible I would rather add an 8 at the tip and adjust the position of the stripper guide. I like the feel of a smaller, lighter weight rod (unless I am using the old ancient Wahoo Special) without bulky guides. This will also save you a ton of money that you can use for the next set of Titan Turbos.

Good Luck on your trip.

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster