I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy glue woes
Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 10, 2008 10:17PM

Love Rod Bond but hate having to wait overnight to start work on other things once I use this to glue things up. Tried Ultimate Gel 15 minute. Can't keep it from getting hard in the container. Have to microwave it each and every time I try to use it. I keep it indoors in warm temps about 70 to 75 degrees. White part still turns hard in a week or less. Heard about a newer 10 minute Rod Bond. Had high hopes, Never saw it come to market.

What else can I try that is a gel or paste, sets and dries quick and doesn't crystalize in the jars. Help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy glue woes
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 10, 2008 11:12PM

Ed,

I have 15min Ultimate Gel thats been open and used off and on for months, never a problem with it getting "hard in the container". I'm clueless! something is wrong.......do you put the lids back on after you take some out?

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 11, 2008 12:25AM

Don't understand about the Ultimate Gel. I've been using it ever since it came out and I've never had it even remotely harden.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2008 01:15AM

Same here; Not had any hardness show up in either part

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 11, 2008 10:17AM

New Trondak Rod Bond is now being shipped with faster cure times.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 11, 2008 11:10AM

I'm with DR and Steve and all the rest - been using UG15min and never had a problem with either part hardening in the container, or even on the mixing card. It's workable for at least ten minutes once you do mix it, and even a little after that. We always lt it cure for at east four hours, but it doesn't need much more than that.

We also haven't had any problems like this with TM 5min stuff. I will say, though, that our normal practice is to pull a measure of each part from the container and put it on the mixing card, but we reseal the container before we pull the next part and before we start actually mixing the stuff.

We have experienced some small lumps in the excess that gets trapped in the container up near the lid, butwe figured out that's from contamination when we use the same end of the stick for both measures.

- hope that helps.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Dan Metcalf (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2008 01:47PM

Quik-Bond has all the same features and benefits you have come to know and love about Rod Bond, such as:

„« Easy to mix, very forgiving.
„« Stays where you put it without dripping and running.
„« Bonds almost any material to any material, i.e. cork, metal, wood, graphite, fiberglass, eva, etc.
„« Can be used for bonding cork rings, cork handles, eva handles, reel seats, butt caps, ferrules, winding checks, hosels, guide tips and on and on. Feel free to use your imagination.
„« Can be molded, drilled, sanded, tapped, colored, etc.
„« Has a knack for being a rod builder¡¦s best friend.

Quik-Bond adds yet one more helpful feature:

„« Begins setting up in about 15 minutes at 70 F and about 10 minutes at 90 F. In less than one hour bonded parts can be handled without fear.

This saves you time when you need it without sacrificing any of the benefits you depend on of the original Rod Bond.

Enclosed is an updated price list which includes Quik-Bond¡¦s three kit sizes: 2oz, 4oz and 8oz. If you have any questions or would like to place an immediate order you can contact us at:

Trondak, Inc., 17631 ¡V 147th St. SE, #7, Monroe, WA 98272
Phone: 360-794-8250 Fax: 360-794-9857 E-mail: contact.us@U-40.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster