I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I want to try some of these!
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 01:39PM

Now these make a chopped up graphite seat look like some something that was chopped up! This is some pretty cool looking stuff. Definitely gives all of us something to think about.

[www.tackletour.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I want to try some of these!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2008 01:58PM

Functionally, they're taking a step backwards, but they'll no doubt sell a ton. It's these type innovations, even these that are mostly cosmetic, that sell rods to a fishing public hungry for the next big thing.

RodMaker Volume 11#3 had an in-depth article about this very sort of thing and what custom builders need to do to capture this market.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 24, 2008 02:23PM

Personally, I think they dont' look very nice. And all those holes seem like it would be uncmfortable to hold when palming the reel. Obviously I don't know anythign, since I've never felt one.

Posted by: Anthony Robertson (146.229.229.---)
Date: July 24, 2008 02:33PM

I agree with Mr. Vivona. They don't look too comfortable. I don't mind the extra innovation though.

Anthony
AKRods

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: July 24, 2008 03:52PM

I'll bet they subscribe to Rodmaker :-)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 04:15PM

Yuchhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't know about added performance but for looks.......................

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 04:46PM

Well I thought about it.

And I pictured my fingers freezing to the aluminum, and salmon eggs and egg juice clogging up the holes! HA!

Chris

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 05:15PM

catch the fisherman not the fish, gimicks!

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 06:47PM

TOTALLY RADICAL MAN !!!!!!!!!!.......GOTTA GET SOME OF THAT SMOKE AND START DESIGNING ME SOME OF THOSE THINGIES....

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 07:10PM

I like it. It's good to see someone try something different. I'm not sure how well it will function and that would be the ultimate test. I wonder what sort of weight savings there is versus the 2 piece seats? I'm sure it's much more expensive to machine aluminum than it is to mold graphite so it would need to be a significant savings to make it worth the cost.

Posted by: mike harris (96.33.86.---)
Date: July 24, 2008 09:53PM

More expensive per piece, but the CNC parts have no tooling costs. I could easily see the tooling costs for a reel seat exceed $100K.

Re: Mike was right!
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 11:50PM

Yuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 09:50AM

Well, I like 'em.

Why are they a step backward?

I think this helps our craft because it advances the idea of semi-custom rods, where you can select colors, different guides, etc. They are, to me, quite modern-looking and I sort of put them in the category with our foam-core grips. The colors as shown are bright and very much like what a number of our customers ask for in their wraps or EVA grips.

I don't see a whole lot of difference between the marketing of these, and the way you buy a vehicle if you order one instead of buying off the lot. You get to select a cetain number of options, at extra cost of course. The price certainly helps us as custom builders because it sets a bar between semi-custom and "pure".

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 25, 2008 06:18PM

Uncle Russ is right on.... this is not a step backwards for us rod builders, it will only help us along the way once the shine wears off.
Gentlemen and Gentlewomen...this is the space age as I recall and just maybe they can catch something in outer space with them, for me I think I will continue with all the fine ideas I am enjoying from all of you here on the forum

Flash Gordon has returned and is now desinging rods...........No offence to Airrus , at least they are trying and Their Wildlife rods look very good, but as far as the Feather Touch T6 goes I think maybe Flash had best stick to his smoke ring blowing rocket ship.

For the fisherman who has everything...buy him a Feather Touch T6
Many thanks to Alex D for his thread here on this forum....now lets get back to some REAL custom rods.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster