I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kistler Helium Handle
Posted by: Joey Yeager (---.twinvalley.oct.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 07:22PM

I'm trying to find out how to make something similar to the Kistler Helium handle. The one I'm talking about is maybe a heavy thread or very light cord. Its wrapped on the split grip handle and its fairly rough. I don't like them, but I have a request for one similar to that. Anyone know how to make something like that? Is it simply a small diameter cord wrap with some kind of epoxy to harden it? Thanks for any info.

Gone Fishin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kistler Helium Handle
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 07:41PM

Gon Fishn Calling Gone Fishin!!

Similar - (email me for some trickery)

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Available

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Gon Fishn

Date: July 23, 2008 09:05PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, its the Helium II LTX that I am asking about

Gone Fishin

Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 09:25AM

I have felt those handles and have wondered how they were made also. I am not sure but here is what it feels like to me. Seems like they may use the new "foam" material that was discussed in rodmaker magazine a few issues ago. Then remember in elementary school when you would take newspaper and soak it in some oatmealy mixture and then slap it on an inflated balloon, then once the newspaper and oatmealy mixture dried you would stick a needle in and pop the balloon? Thats what i think Kistler did, they used urethane foam then some sort of threaded/corded mixture to coat the foam?

I dont know if this is what they did but thats my best guess. It could even be cork or eva with the threaded mixture over top?

-Mike

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 09:59AM

They seem fairly hard, so I doubt it's eva underneath.

Here's what Kistler says on their website.
Our new proprietary solid, ultra-lightweight material throughout the newly designed handle will allow for even more sensitivity, allowing you to feel bites like never before.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 10:23AM

what ever it is sure makes the custom rod building world look bad. That stuff kicks butt, to me it ends the need for a cork substitute and just puts EVA on the back burner. To bad we dont have access to it I have felt from the first time i saw and tried it this was the stuff that we need instead of grasping at all kinds of hoaky ways to obtain something less expensive than cork and just as good as cork.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 24, 2008 10:23AM

It's probably a skinned foam, overwrapped or flocked with the grippy material.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2008 11:28AM

Henry,

Readers of RodMaker Magazine have long had a superior material to what Kistler is using. The custom rod building craft was way ahead of them, and other manufacturers, all along.

Lighter than cork, far less expensive than cork, in many ways, better than cork.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 04:27PM

Tom,
Please, refesh my memory. MORE INFO!! To which issue are you referring?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Date: July 24, 2008 04:52PM

Urethane foam can be had in various densities/weights. It can be skinned, cord wrapped, painted, texture coated, flocked, etc. The possibilities are almost endless.

This is the sort of thing that I spoke about in the last issue concerning "custom" rod building. There is no way any of the commercial manufacturers can outdo a forward thinking, inventive custom rod builder. You can make anything "one-off" right in your own shop. The major manufacturers have too many things to consider, only so much that can sourced per the expected sales volume, and generally a once a year new intro period.

The only thing that holds back most custom builders is themselves. Not knocking anybody here, but we all have a tremendous advantage over the commercial rod makers when it comes to possible innovations.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2008 05:09PM

I knew that was foam a long time ago before the rods even were out i had the chance to play with them at the rockland show here in new york a few years ago. The rep simply told me it was foam under the black stuff. Its the flocking he would not say a word about.

The flocking they are doing that is the end all be all. Also i guessed at it while i was holding the rods like many here said it looks like thread covered with some kind of protectant or hardener.

Date: July 24, 2008 06:05PM

It's an adhesive combined with a texturing agent.

Date: July 24, 2008 10:17PM

Thanks to all, still not 100% on how to do them, but that may be the company secret. Just trying to get close to the texture, and I've plenty of ideas. Any more info is welcome of course. Thanks again to all.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 25, 2008 12:32AM

Bill Stevens has been doing it for awhile and has posted about it. He mixes flock with the flock adhesive and applies it over a foam grip

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anthony Robertson (146.229.128.---)
Date: July 25, 2008 09:38AM

I have always liked the Helium LTX handles. I guess it is time for me to pour foam. Especially since I do it at work anyway...

Anthony
AKRods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster