I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

van staal vs300 specs.
Posted by: David Teague (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 23, 2008 02:00PM

anyone know the specs for the van staal vs300 spinning reel...I am building a rod and I don't have the reel yet...their website gave me the spool diameter but I need the measurement of the spool center..so I can set up the rod with the new guide concept. I thought maybe one of you have built a rod with a van staal vs300 and could help save me some time while I wait for the reel.There are no tackle stores around us that stock that particular reel.

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: van staal vs300 specs.
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 23, 2008 02:10PM

If you are using ALPS size 20 reel seat, be aware teh feet do not fit. the reel feet on teh VS 300 are larger than the other VS reels, and most other reels for that matter.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2008 05:02PM

If you know the diameter of the spool you can pretty much do it now.

Most spinning reels have spools with faces that extend about 1/2 inch past the forward edge of the reel seat when mounted into a seat that is in the uplocking position.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 01:59AM

The VS300 spool is about the size of a "normal" Shimano 4500 or 5000. The VS150 is about the size of a USReel "middle" series, if you can grab one of those locally until you get your VS.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 09:54AM

David,

I have had five Van Staal reels for over ten years and love the way they handle and the drag is the best.

The problem is service. You can't get in the darn things and if you send in for service, be sure you have a lot of room on your credit card. My last service on three reels cost me over $450.00. The repair bill stated back bearings a shaft bent, etc. I've never had that problem with my old Penns.

I still love the reels, but service is a problem.

Larry Tysinger

Posted by: Paul Ernandez (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 24, 2008 10:25AM

try the New ZeeBaas 27 reel, much better reel and it is self servcable!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 24, 2008 10:31AM

YES!!! A VS vs ZB bash thread on RBO.

Come on, who's gonna post that there is a 1 year wait on the Zee Baas even though they paid up front? lol.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2008 12:33PM

Nobody, because it's outside of what we do here and would be removed and the offending parties banned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster