I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP turned my wraps black?
Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2008 08:29PM

I've been building rods for 20 years and this has never happened before (of course, I never use CP, only 5-10 times total but never a problem) . I bought some diamondite CP recently to try it out. First try was good, but I put it on a set of shaded wraps (from white to purple) and all the wraps truned mostly black with some purple showing after the epoxy was applied. I thought maybe the dark blank was showing through but I coated a couple of the wraps twice with CP and still the same results. The rod is for me so I went ahead and coated them all with epoxy since they kinda look marbled. To make things better I went ahead and marblized a little here and there. It actually looks kinda cool, but not what was planned. And yes, I put the CP on thick enough to let it be absrobed by the thread. Anybody seen this before??? I also switched brushes right away incase there was black in the brush. What do you all think? Thanks,................Kyle

What gets me is that it worked the first time I used it??? (same bottle and only a month or two older. The bottle can't be more than 4 months old)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP turned my wraps black?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 16, 2008 08:40PM

Try a different CP. What you experianced is similar to the results I got with Minwax Polycrillic.

Date: July 16, 2008 08:44PM

One more thing, I waited almost exactly 24 hours to let the CP dry. Could that be the problem?.........Kyle

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 16, 2008 08:48PM

DEfinitely not. TRy a different CP.

Date: July 16, 2008 08:56PM

Thanks Billy, I'll definately do that but that doesn't explain why it was fine the first time and not the second. One thing I didn't mention was There was a different brand of thread on the two rods. What brand do you use now? Thanks..............Kyle

I've always heard good things about Diamondite, which is why I was trying it out. I'm certainly not bashing Diamondite, there are several variables (like the thread) besides the CP. Looks like I need to do some testing

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2008 08:57PM

I think your blank was different ... color, brand, finish, etc. Diamondite CP is a bit hot IMO. I had a similar experience with a very expensive blank that doesn't hold color well - it lifted and transferred right into my threadwork.

Like Billy said, try another CP. I have had good success with U40's Color Lock and Lamar's Chromaseal.

Date: July 16, 2008 09:16PM

I never thought of that Jim. While I think they were(are) both Allstar blanks, that is what it looked like(marbled, like the blank bled through). Like I said above, it looked a little marbled, and that would explain it..............Kyle

I take that back, the second rod is an Allstar and the first (the one with no problems)was a Loomis GLX, which might explain it

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 17, 2008 12:12AM

One thought, was your thread packed tight and burnished. Sometimes a light gap well make your thread look dark. On the other hand.I triead a new brand of CP on red. Guess what under normal light the red took on a garnet look. Then under sunlight it turned red. This also happens after I put on finish. I liked it, so I left it
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2008 08:55AM

I would use Lamar's Chromaseal. Some CPs will turn your thread several shades darker and almost black where you really can't tell what color you were using.

Date: July 17, 2008 01:08PM

Thanks guys, I will try the u40 and the chromaseal. But the way the blank seemed to bleed through and left a marbeling affect I am 99% sure it was the blank. I have a large supply of Allstar blanks in stock so some experimenting with other CPs is in the works. Thanks again.................Kyle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster