I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to start a rod building business?
Posted by: Al Sanders (---.mpihq.com)
Date: June 13, 2008 10:51AM

How do I start my rod building business from home? It seems to make sense for tax purposes and the markup on the parts that I buy at the store are very high. I dont make much on building the rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to start a rod building business?
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 13, 2008 10:56AM

Talk to a lawyer and a GOOD accountant who understands excise tax, etc.

Determine what corporate structure you want (LLC, INC, Sole Proprietor).

Do the paperwork as appropriate (Tax ID, Business licenses, etc) and open a business bank account.

I recommend buying QuickBooks for keeping track of money, invoicing, sales receipts, inventory, etc.

Get some business cards, start drumming up business and get going.

This is the simple version, but it's a start. I know more folks will add to the details.

Date: June 13, 2008 10:59AM

Alex Dziengielewski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Talk to a lawyer and a GOOD accountant who
> understands excise tax, etc.
>
> Determine what corporate structure you want (LLC,
> INC, Sole Proprietor).
>
> Do the paperwork as appropriate (Tax ID, Business
> licenses, etc) and open a business bank account.
>
> I recommend buying QuickBooks for keeping track of
> money, invoicing, sales receipts, inventory, etc.
>
> Get some business cards, start drumming up

What would be the estimated cost to have all the proper documentation? tax id, business lic ect..Do you guys that have a business at home keep a small in ventory of parts of buy once you have a rod to make?
business and get going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2008 11:00AM by Al Sanders.

Date: June 13, 2008 11:32AM

It really depends on where you are and what type of structure. I have a LLC (set up before I was building rods, now just use it for my rod business) and those fees were about $300, but it varies by state. A sole proprietorship is much cheaper usually. Just look at the pros and cons of each. QuickBooks can be found online for varying prices. Shop around for the best price. Business cards you can order for $15 for 250 or more. I get mine through VistaPrint and they have a promotion going right now for free cards.

I don't keep a lot in stock (mainly a space issue for me) and my customers know up front that it takes about a week to get things in before I can start. I'm small, only building a couple rods a month right now though. I do keep guides, handles, etc in stock of the ones I use most. I should have room by the end of the summer to expand, so I will start building more inventory.

Do a search on here and some of the business end has been discussed before. Guys had some really good information.

Date: June 13, 2008 11:57AM

How much are blanks usueally marked up? Is it worth it to get the discounts on blanks?

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: June 13, 2008 12:05PM

Al Sanders Wrote:
> How much are blanks usueally marked up?

a lot

Date: June 13, 2008 12:49PM

blank mark up depends on where you buy them. Same with guides, cork, etc.

Date: June 13, 2008 01:50PM

Alex Dziengielewski Wrote:
> blank mark up depends on where you buy them. Same
> with guides, cork, etc.

Of course, But is it 10-20% or more like 40-50%? The average

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2008 02:16PM

25-35% is the traditional difference between retail and wholesale. HOWEVER, if you are thinking of starting a business as a way to save money ... that is a VERY poor plan IMO.

There is quite a bit involved in being legit - it isn't cheap and it isn't necessarily easy.

You asked about inventory and general expenses. I spent about $1,000 on legal, accounting, licenses and insurance to start - annually it is now about $700-800. My general inventory is almost always over $10,000 and I only build inshore spinning rods. Equipment costs $$$ as well. Just this year I have spent over $1,000 on new/replacement items. In addition, I expensed another $750 to travel to High Point for the ICRBE.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: June 13, 2008 02:37PM

I gotta weigh in here.

If you are going to build rods full time for a living, then you would have a larger initial start-up cost. I build rods part-time and my annual costs are no where near $800-and I'm 100% compliant. As far as insurance, what would you insure? Inventory maybe. But your home insurrance would cover most of the inventory.

But if you build rods part time and occasionally and you have $10,000 in inventory, then your inventory tax will weigh in on the profits.

Also, you can do all the book keeping you will ever need in either Quicken or similar programs. Or even better yet, Microsoft Excel. You can make forms, and all the needed/required in this program or even MS Word.

I don't mean any disrespect for Jim's opnion, and I respect it greatly. But like I said, if you are only building a 10-50 rods a year, you can do soooooooooooo much on your own and eliminate so much initial cost.

Paul

Date: June 13, 2008 03:11PM

I wasnt looking to make a living just some extra cash. But buying wholesale kills my profits. Im already just doing it for friends, I dont always charge top dollar. I may build about 25-50 rods a year.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (199.173.225.---)
Date: June 13, 2008 06:21PM

I haven't started a rod business but I have had other small home based businesses. In Maryland as a Sole Proprietor, all you need is a business license (usually a peddlers lic) which is less than $50/year and an EIN #( tax number) which is usually your Social Security #. You can do the accounting yourself or use Quickbooks if you want. I found it was quicker and easier without quick books because I would put my receipts in 1 place and keep records of my sales in another. Just needed the books at tax time. You will also need business cards that you can print on your own inkjet of have them made. It's also better if you have a seperate checking account. Also make sure you are zoned for what you are doing. I've started a business for less than $100 plus inventory.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2008 07:01PM

If you're already selling rods, whether it be 1 or 50, you're already operating a business and are already liable for Rederal excise and State sales tax, both of which are retroactive to the date of the first rod sold, plus interest and penalties.

I have no idea if you've been paying these taxes or not, this is just a reminder in case you haven't been.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (71.31.243.---)
Date: June 13, 2008 08:20PM

Paul, you are right on. I do rodbuilding part time, generally only on the weekends, and every now and then a night when I am not out of town. I generally sell about 60-70 rods a year, and have for the past few years.
I too am 100% legit, and have paid very little in expenses. I did my own website, so easy these days with the content management systems many companies have. I made my own business cards, flyers, invoices, fax forms, etc, in Word or Publisher, and print them myself.
It costs me $75 a year for a business license for the little city I live in. I do all my own taxes, and the rodbuilding adds no real complexity at all to it.
And, I do my accounting on some custom made spreadsheets in Excel. I would have to get much bigger to outgrow this. I guess the point is that, if you want to do a lot of the grunt work yourself, you can.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2008 07:07AM

Similar Here,
I just recently got all of my ducks in a row. The most expensive part for my was listing my DBA announcement in the local paper for the required amount of time. Otherwise most of it was free.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster