I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RX8 #10 for tarpon?
Posted by: Brian Peck (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 10:57AM

Looking to build a rod for medium sized tarpon. Anybody have experience with the Batson/Rainshadow RX8 #10? If the CCS pattern holds (there is no data on the 10 - but the others listed seem to rate a line weight heavier) I am thinking this rod should do the job lined-up with an 11 weight line. I've built on a few Rainshadow blanks in the past and have been very pleased with the results. Just looking for a bit of info on this one before I buy.

Couple other blanks on my list would be the Dan Craft FT , the new St.Croix SCV's, or a CTS Affinity S. Anybody tried the new St. Croix rods?

Both the CTS and St.Croix are a few $$'s more. I would rather put that $$ into better parts if the Rainshadow will get the job done.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RX8 #10 for tarpon?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2008 11:29AM

My choice would be a St Croix SC4 - IPC and ART, yet a bit tougher than the SC5. They are more than fast enough IMO, for tarpon fishing. Pair it with Fuji SiC Titanium guides, and a good line, and you will get plenty of distance.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 11:31AM

Brian if your happy with the Rainshadow then use it.
If your second guessing yourself, then in the end you maybe saying, maybe I should have built the other blank. Good excuse to build another rod but not the way you want to think about it.

You can catch any fish on any thing that resembles a rod, it is how you fish it that makes the difference. It wouldn't be real smart to go fishing for King Salmon with a 2 wt. rod, but it could be done. You kind of have to have an idea of what kind of fish your going after, past experience, talking to friends, or other fishing persons.

Posted by: Scott Taylor (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2008 11:37AM

Brian I wouldn't recommend the Dan Craft for tarpon, they walls are a little thin and I have seen them break. I do not know much about the Batson blanks ( heard plenty of good things though). You may take a look at the American Tackle Matrix blanks, they are very tough and a very good blank for the money.

Just a bit of FYI, down here in Tampa we use 12-14 weights for tarpon usually, but if you are talking smaller, under 100lbs, a 10wt would be perfect.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 12:02PM

Rod Blank Model # RX8+9010-4
Butt cap: FB2-SG 2 inch tarpon ball detachable butt
Front Cap:
Rear Grip:
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: A8L2-GWG-SG Forecast #8 seat with Carbon insert Double locking nuts
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: FW7.375S-340
Winding Check: AWC389-SG
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top XTCFTL4.5 SS316 Stainless Tich plated Forecast top
1st guide from tip top XTCSNGP3 SS316 stainless Tich plated snakes
2nd guide from tip top XTCSNGP3
3rd guide from tip top XTCSNGP3
4th guide from tip top XTCSNGP3
5th guide from tip top: XTCSNGP3
6th guide from tip top: XTCSNGP4
7th guide from tip top: XTCSNGP5
8th guide from tip top: XTCUDZG12 SS316 Stainless tich plated with Zirconium ring
9th guide from tip top: XTCUDZG16
10th guide from tip top: XTCUDZG20
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3.5-13.25-19.25-27.25-35.75-44.75-54.125-65.5-77.5

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 12:09PM

Here is one for the RX8 XF9010-4. A bit difrent lay out but both specs work well.
Rod Blank Model # XF9010-4
Butt cap: FB2-SG detachable fighting butt or CEVAFB-3 fixed
Front Cap:
Rear Grip:
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: RA8L2-SG
Reel Seat Shim SHIM/16/SPIN
Foregrip: FW7.375CS-250/900
Winding Check: BWC08
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top XTCFTL5.0
1st guide from tip top XTCSNGP3 SNAKE GUIDES SS316 Stainless
2nd guide from tip top XTCSNGP3 SNAKE GUIDES
3rd guide from tip top XTCSNGP3 SNAKE GUIDES
4th guide from tip top XTCSNGP3 SNAKE GUIDES
5th guide from tip top: XTCSNGP4
6th guide from tip top: XTCSNGP4
7th guide from tip top: XTCSNGP5
8th guide from tip top: XTCSNGP6
9th guide from tip top: XTCUDZG16 SS316 Stainless
10th guide from tip top: XTCUDZG20
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3.5-8-13.25-19.25-27.25-35.75-44.75-54.125-65.5-77.5
Butt wrap length
Tip wrap length
Main Thread Color 088-111-*0245
Trim Thread Color TRIM WITH METALIC BLUE IF YOU WANT

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Date: June 12, 2008 12:11PM

Karry, notice you spec'ed the RX8+ instead of the RX8. I had been leaning to the RX8 with the idea that it may have a bit more fish fighting strength in the butt section. Maybe not?

Really that is the info I am after. I think any of these blanks will cast well and deliver the fly. I'm looking for info on what happens after that, fighting the fish. To answer a question above, yes would be targeting mid-size tarpon with this rod, not the giants.

Thanks.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 11:57PM

Do what Karry suggested. The reason he's spec'ing the RX8+ is because you want to be able to take the largest fish in the pod, if you're lucky enough to get him on. Your statement about "what happens after that, fighting the fish" is actually your answer. You want a rod capable of landing your fish, which after all is the second thing the rod has to do, after thing #1 which is delivering your bait to the fish.

I'm going to suggest that you are sort of boxing yourself in by saying you're only going to target medium sized fish (which, in my experience, top out at about 100lbs). You can't really predict what'll be in any given school - or did you plan to not even cast to bigger ones if they show up in front of you? More than that, accurately estimating the size of these beasties in the water is harder than it looks. And what if something else shows up - a nice 'cuda, for example. Will you reach for another rod, or just use the one in your hand?

Most of our first-time customers tend to want to order a lighter rod than they need. It's great when they come back for a second rod for heavier fish, but we get a big kick out of building rods that'll handle the big stuff but also be fun on "regular" fish as well.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: June 13, 2008 02:06AM

Scott,

Thanks for the input on our blanks. Unfortunately, you seem to be a few years late as the only "thin" walled blanks we offered were the old 3pc Signature V blanks which are long gone. If you would like to talk about our FT blanks I would be glad to update you. Just call me at 541-255-3284 and I can give you the skinny, or you can do a search or ask anyone that has used any of our FT blanks (the ones that Brian had in mind) and I am sure they will tell you that they are some of the toughest as well as fastest blanks on the market!

Brian, thanks for including our blanks in your possibles list. I would prefer a 9'0" model for salt use (IMO) the FT9010 would do a great job as would and would cast well in close with an 11wt line or a 10wt line at long distance. We just had a video sent to use of a gentleman who was fishing for mid sized tarpon with an FT909-4 and managed to hook and bring to boat a 150# plus tarpon!
Thanks,

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises
Five Rivers Rod Blanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2008 02:28AM by Dan L Craft.

Posted by: Scott Taylor (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2008 09:09AM

Dan, I should have been up to speed before I said anything, I apologize. However I do have one of the 10wt 3pc Sig. V's you have on clearance & that is the stick I was warned about. In all honesty, that is the only DC blank I've been told to watch the walls on. The fellas on the other rod building sites love your stuff, from king salmon to brook trout. Ya I need to give a call. Lol.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: June 13, 2008 09:12AM

Scott,
The Dan Craft FT line of blanks certainly aren't fragile. In my experience they are one of a few really fast action blanks built in a modulus range that is a near optimum balance of weight and durability. The Rainshadow RX8 blanks are also good blanks as are the St Croix SCV's but I'm confidant they they are not a bit more durable.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: June 13, 2008 02:41PM

Brian,

As big of a Rainshadow fan as I am, I would not use this blank. I have built a few of these rods and they are a biut soft for my liking. Great blanks, but too soft to really set the hook hard. This blank feels more like a nine weight. Now, that being said, it is truly the best casting 10wt rod I have ever cast. Sage has nothing close in my .02. The Loomis GLX is great , but the $$ is much more.

Anyway, hope this helped you and havce a great day.

paul

Date: June 13, 2008 10:36PM

Guys, thanks for the info. This gives me something to chew on before I make a decision.

Brian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster