I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flotation for rods?
Posted by: Terry Reece (---.nets.nemais.navy.mil)
Date: May 14, 2008 11:33AM

I'm looking at building a couple rods for kayak fishing, and I'm not crazy about using a rod leash, but I'm also worried about capsizing and losing my equipment. Has anyone ever thought about filling a blank with some sort of pliable foam or other material for flotation? I'm pretty sure it would affect the action of the rod, so it may not be a good idea, but you could probably get away with putting some foam in the butt section. I wonder if it would make any difference though. Anyone tried this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flotation for rods?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 11:44AM

Just use one of those Helium blanks it should just float on it's own.

Sorry Terry couldn't help myself, LOL.

I'm not real sure how you would fill the blank and I would suspect that if you did get it filled it would have some adverse effect on the blank.
Also how much foam would it really take to make the rod float with the reel on and line ect, ect.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 11:46AM

If you build the rod right it should already be pretty close to water tight. A hollow tipped blank can be sealed up using Rod Bond, the butt cap should seal the other end. Floatation is simply the rod displacing more area than the weight of the water it displaces. What it's built out of doesn't matter.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2008 12:00PM

As Spencer mentioned, if the rod is water tight it will float on its own. The problem creeps in when it has to also float a reel - which few rods can do.

Some years back, there was a company that marketed a little attachment that was bound to the rod blank just ahead of the handle. If submersed, in about 5 minutes the bond would break and the contraption would release a little float attached to a long cord. At that point you went over, grabbed the float and hauled up your rod. I thought it was a good idea but ever actually saw one up close nor do I have any idea what happens in the rain. Still, it may be an idea you could tinker with.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 12:34PM

I think you'd have to have something light weight on the rod about the size of a 16 oz or larger soda bottle to float a reel and rod on most kayak rods, at least in my mind's eye, without messing around with it.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2008 12:37PM

Okuma is building their "floating" kayak rods by using a VERY long EVA grip ... it runs just short of the butt guide.

Posted by: Bill Lane (165.24.5.---)
Date: May 14, 2008 01:02PM

I Fondled the Okuma Kayak rod and the forgrip was VERY long, affecting the balance of the rod too much for me. The thing I do like about it is the rear split grip. The butmost part of the grip is as long as a rod holder is deep, and the split holds a hook keeper. I am including this feature on a rod I am working on now. I have been wondering if composite/foam handles have enough float to float a reel. I will know soon as I am almost finished with my 1st composite gripped rod. Remember whatever you do, it needs to fit your rod holders.

Date: May 14, 2008 01:11PM

They would float more weight than an EVA grip would because they're lighter. Much lighter. In fact, that's the same type foam used for flotation in kayaks, although most manufacturers use the 2lb type since it's only there for flotation and not strength.

Otherwise, your only task is to displace enough water to float your rod and reel. But this might require abnormally large or long grips. Something to try I guess.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 01:12PM

check these out
[www.basspro.com]

If i were going to use them, I'd build my own and put them in the split area or on the reargrip

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 01:30PM

Tom, if you know the name or whereabouts of that device you mentioned earlier I'd appreciate hearing from you. That would seem to offer the best chance of rod retrieval without being cumbersome like a large grip or float. Thanks.

Date: May 14, 2008 03:12PM

I've seen them various places and often thought about buying a couple, but just never did. I wish I had.

They may still be available but I can't remember the name of the product, thus a search is hard to do. They weren't very large - about the size of a cigarette lighter. If the company is still in business they should definitely attempt to capitalize on the kayak fishing market.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2008 07:13PM

Road test this link
[www.freepatentsonline.com]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2008 06:03AM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2008 07:59PM

Ok Fred - I give up what are we to see there???

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Ilya Gorin (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 02:13AM

Floating line on the reel also could improve buoyancy of combo.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 06:04AM

Sorry Hank. Try the link again.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2008 08:11AM

a high end st croix or loomis rod with a sub 7oz reel will float on its own. I dropped a $600 rig in the dark in the middle of the lake and just picked it up out of the water after thinking that it was lost forever when i first heard the splash.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster